Painting the muffler

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

edoggdoremus
Goped
Goped

Painting the muffler

Post by edoggdoremus »

I am going to be painting the muffler on my Aero and have some questions.
It is kind of rusty, what type of prep work is needed?
Also, for the actual muffler, I am going to use black BBQ grill paint, but was wondering what type of paint will work on the muffler protector? I want to accent it orange, but do not know if a high heat paint should be used or not (thus would limit me to a color selection).

thanks for any help.
kingearwig
Spree
Spree

Re: Painting the muffler

Post by kingearwig »

first I would wire wheel then naval jelly, then wire wheel again. then maybe sand... don't prime then paint.(depending how nice you want it)
I used the stuff called rust eater bbq grill paint available at ace hardware. The nozzle SUCKED. I do a lot of spray painting and this was about the crappiest nozzle I have ever used it would spray a 1 foot circle at a distance of like 10 feet! The paint itself is pretty nice. good to 1000F. it is kinda glossy.
I also tried the 500 degree engine paint from autozone. VERY glossy. That stuff seems great. That is my recommendation. I don't know about the color selection... I sent someone to get it for me and was only interested in black.
kingearwig
Spree
Spree

Post by kingearwig »

I don't know about any of the other parts of the exhaust but the part right by the cylinder is WAY too hot for regular paint. I tried it... it turns white in no time.
Fishman43
Elite
Elite

Post by Fishman43 »

I painted the swiss cheese looking muffler protector with regular old spray paint. Nothing special, not high heat, just the color I wanted. It has had no problems at all.
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

regular paint works fine on the guard. :smile:
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
fightingplankton
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fightingplankton »

i have no valuable input
Last edited by fightingplankton on Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'86 spree
'86 aero50
'83 aero80
edoggdoremus
Goped
Goped

Post by edoggdoremus »

Alright thanks guys. My scooter's color scheme is Orange and Black, so I am planning on making that protector plate orange. Glad to here that regular paint holds up
z50r-ghost
CB900F
CB900F

Post by z50r-ghost »

If you want to really restore your muffler to make it look good AND perform like new, you should get your muffler "hot-tanked." This is a process most any machine shop can do for you which involves soaking the muffler in a tank of hot sulfuric acid. It usually costs about $15.

When the muffler comes out of the tank- all paint, carbon and oil residue is GONE. -You are left with a like new muffler, inside and out. The main thing to do AFTER the muffler is hot-tanked is to rinse the inside with running water for about a half an hour to get any remaining acid out, or it will eventually eat thru the metal.

I have used "Flame Proof" brand extreme temp primer then paint, and have had perfect results. You can get it at auto parts stores like Advance Auto, or AutoZone.

Hope this helps, jon :coolcruise:
.locked away in a cage my rage has got the best of me
time finds a way each day of leaving less of me behind.

>< Solitaire Unraveling ><
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U45NfWSX-Vk
...my life story

1990HONDANS50F