Bad News Bears

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Bad News Bears

Post by Lunytune »

Tore down my 99 Purple People Eater to install bbk from Daywot, and found rod loose on the crank. DRATS! I hesitate to go with a stroker kit, but suspect stock parts may be just as expensive. I've never been into a bottom end before.

Any advise from the gurus who have done bottom end rebuilds?
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Bad News Bears

Post by Trafficjamz »

Don't be afraid
Just get in there and do it.
I'm sure someone here will have a stock crank for cheap on here. (I just may have one)
Ministroke is the route I went, Couple xtra base gaskets is all I had to do to compensate for the difference.
I did have to buy a crank puller tool, but I like tools :wink:
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Post by mustangwagz »

Hey, off the topic, but do they make stroker kits for the nq50?
-Zac :coolcruise:

1981 HD-Ironhead Sporty. 1000cc, 4 speed, drag pipes, and drag bars.. (chic/cop magnet)
72 Rupp Roadster 2 (aka. RUMP ROASTER!!)
05 vinson
78 bronco (Log skiddin Hog!!)
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

Trafficjamz wrote:Don't be afraid. Just get in there and do it.
I'm sure someone here will have a stock crank for cheap on here. (I just may have one)
Ministroke is the route I went, Couple xtra base gaskets is all I had to do to compensate for the difference.
I did have to buy a crank puller tool, but I like tools :wink:
Thanks for the encouragement. Although it doesn't really take away the anxiety. :sad: However, I overcame and eventually got good at top end jobs, with no idea what I was doing, first real experience with 2 strokers, beyond the textbook in tech school 30+ years ago. I hear guys tell horror stories about torquing a case, and that makes me nervous. I did buy a pin/spanner wrench last year for removing variators, but haven't used it yet. I guess now I get to use it on this job.

Bottom line is I did order a Ruima mini-stroker kit.
So now tell me about the crank puller tool... And the issue with the base gaskets. I assume that is to compensate for port timing? I'm not worried about increased compression, as that would be good, but am curious about how the stroker effects port timing. What if I don't double up on the base gasket?
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

If you don't add base gaskets 1 you run the risk of the piston slamming into the head and 2 the compression will be so high that you will either seize or blow a hole in the piston or bend the con rod or break the crank in half.high compression is good but too much and kaboom!
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

bakaracer wrote:If you don't add base gaskets 1 you run the risk of the piston slamming into the head
If you have to add an extra gasket, that suggests that the kit is not perfectly fitted to the engine. Maybe it should be cast/machined a fraction shorter. :?: Piston in Daywot's bbk is slightly domed, intended for stock stroke.
Hey, off the topic, but do they make stroker kits for the nq50?
mustangwagz, I don't think I've ever seen a stroker for the nq50. Tazland is the expert on the Spree. If it is to be had, he will have been the one to have created it.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

mustangwagz wrote:Hey, off the topic, but do they make stroker kits for the nq50?
No.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products