Spree which has no back plastics

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Ralph
Noob
Noob

Spree which has no back plastics

Post by Ralph »

Hi

I've never had a Spree, or a scooter at all for that matter, just my Suzuki GS500. But I saw one in my local craigslist and it sounds pretty nice from the descrip. The seller says that it's missing the "back plastics", which I take it to mean that there's none of the panelling that keeps the engine covered.

How much would you say the lack of panelling would take the price of the scooter down? Or more like, how much would replacement panelling for an '85 spree cost, roughly? Thanks for any help!
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: Spree which has no back plastics

Post by martynkim »

You could spend as much as $100 on Ebay but, you have come to the right place someone here will have them for much less!
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
fightingplankton
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fightingplankton »

martynkim wrote:You could spend as much as $100 on Ebay but, you have come to the right place someone here will have them for much less!
marty knows...he gets his for free. :lol:
'86 spree
'86 aero50
'83 aero80
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

Look on ebay. I don't think they are terribly expensive. You don't HAVE to have them. I run mine without them all the time, cuz im always working on it.

i would deffinitly haggle the price down for lack of having them. Whats he asking? Better yet just post the cl link
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

fightingplankton wrote:
martynkim wrote:You could spend as much as $100 on Ebay but, you have come to the right place someone here will have them for much less!
marty knows...he gets his for free. :lol:
Thanks again plankton! :thumbwink:
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

Ralph
Noob
Noob

Post by Ralph »

Thanks everyone for your quick replies. Here's the CL ad http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/mcy/1733696047.html

I'm assuming there is no title, because he didn't mention one and here in Massachusetts, the Spree is considered a motorized bicycle/moped and most people don't ever get plates or insurance or anything for them, just a "moped" sticker.

Also, is a spree hard to ride if you have a 30" inseam? They're so *tiny*, but they look so $#@!ing fun and easy to work on.
Last edited by Ralph on Mon May 10, 2010 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

my buddy rides an areo and weighs 310. But the aero has a variator, which helps tremendously with the take off. Whats your weight, that has a lot more to do with it than inseam measurement :lol:
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

That's my size and I have no issues. they are pretty low down to the ground.
Ralph
Noob
Noob

Post by Ralph »

I weigh about 165 so I think I should be alright! :)

Is that a good price for the bike? I e-mailed and asked if he'd be willing to negotiate, or whether he would be willing to get the panels.
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

PimpinSpree wrote:Whats your weight, that has a lot more to do with it than inseam measurement
whoa there, my buddy can't ride mine because he is too tall (6' 5"). I am a 32" and have to hold my knees together if I want to go anywhere but straight. Its the shoes that I have the most trouble with (why I sold my first Zuma too)...be sure to take it on a test ride to see if it is comfortable for you.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
Ralph
Noob
Noob

Post by Ralph »

Thanks for the advice, I'll be sure and test ride it first.

Do let me know, anyone, if you think that's a good price or if I should negotiate somewhat. I was thinking about asking if he'd take $250 w/o the body panels or title (he might have one, I haven't asked yet, but it isn't catastrophic for me if he doesn't)
Fishman43
Elite
Elite

Post by Fishman43 »

Price is relative to where you are in the country. For us up here in New England that is a reasonable price even without the back plastics. Unless you want to search hard for a real dog that needs a lot of time and work, in the New England area they rarely go for less than what he is asking. I have been keeping my eye out for a Spree myself to round out the trifecta in the garage (1 Elite, 1 Aero, missing 1 Spree).

Oh yeah and it is a good thing that the seller fixed the "horn has new gas lines", it is a real PITA to replace those! :bs:

Good luck, and let us know how you make out.
Ralph
Noob
Noob

Post by Ralph »

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it very much.

I have another question too (I'm pretty keen on this scoot if you can't tell). If there's no title, but I want one (in case I end up moving to a state which requires them), would it be possible to get one without too much of a headache? I hear New Hampshire is the easiest state to get titles for any kind of bike, and if I got it, I wouldn't mind riding the Spree to NH (less than an hour away).

The reason I ask is I may be moving to New Jersey (which seems to have the sh*ttiest moped laws in the entire world, look them up sometime; it's probably easier to get clearance for a jet plane than a moped in that state). I'm not even sure if the Spree can be considered a moped there since it has no pedals.
Fishman43
Elite
Elite

Post by Fishman43 »

NH does not title mopeds or scooters. Of all of my scoots I have registered (including two bought in Maine) I just walked into the local DMV handed them a hand written bill of sale with the vin number on it, and $9 later (yup $9) I walked out with registration and a new licenses plate. No hassle at all! I know for a fact (having done it once) that someone can take a registration and license plate from NH to a State DMV that does require title (say Oregon for example) and they will issue a title for their State, since the originating State does not title mopeds.