Which is faster/better?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

cooter69
BMX
BMX

Which is faster/better?

Post by cooter69 »

Hey guys, I'm new to this site but not new to peds/scooters. I have an old columbia and had an old yamaha. Forgot the years. Columbia is 70's with pedals, and the "scooter" Yamaha I sold a little while ago. Anyway...

I just bought a 88 Spree "S" from a guy. Everything works except the speedometer. Anyone have any idea why? Maybe a gear by the front wheel?

Anyway again...

There is a 1993 Yamaha Jog for sale by me with 2000 miles for the same price I paid for my spree. I know this is a spree forum, but is a 93 yamaha going to be faster and better honestly? By the way I don't know really for sure how many miles are on this spree, the speedo stopped working at 1700.
Please be honest.
Thank you for your help!
Jeff
Woodencardboard
BMX
BMX

Re: Which is faster/better?

Post by Woodencardboard »

I'm not calling you a liar but I don't think they made a 88 spree. I think they stopped in 87. If you want to be sure check behind the front fender their is an ID plate that should have the year really big on it. And I've read that the spree was one of the slower scooters that Honda produced during this time. But with a bbk and gears i think they can be quite quick.( for a scoot of course)
Last edited by Woodencardboard on Wed May 19, 2010 12:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Post by veedubh20 »

keep the yamaha jog and sell the spree.

the speedo not working.
broken speedo cable.
mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Post by mustangwagz »

check your vin man..spree didnt come in 88. so thats first off. second, no clue on the jogs...imma honda man now. lol but if the jog is variated, chances are it can be faster. although like the previous user just stated..bbk, gear kit and a few other tricks, the spree can also be faster. then hopefully soon, the variator will get designed for the spree and the custom exhaust system! (keepin mah fingers crossed!!!)

what'd ya pay for it and got any pics yet?
-Zac :coolcruise:

1981 HD-Ironhead Sporty. 1000cc, 4 speed, drag pipes, and drag bars.. (chic/cop magnet)
72 Rupp Roadster 2 (aka. RUMP ROASTER!!)
05 vinson
78 bronco (Log skiddin Hog!!)
cooter69
BMX
BMX

Post by cooter69 »

I paid 400. New rear tire, and new battery. Starts up quick and runs great. The vin tag said it was built in 88 though? Anyone know why it would say that?

what is bbk and variated mean? sorry I'm new...

Just went out and looked at the vin and the bike. It says Elite "E" on it. Sorry for any confusion.
Here's the vin...
jh2af1710jk004683

It says under the seat these first few words. "This 1988 hongs60050 motorcycle, j2" I thought this meant it was a 1988? Also it was 1988 on the title. etc.
Last edited by cooter69 on Wed May 19, 2010 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

cooter69 wrote:The vin tag said it was built in 88 though? Anyone know why it would say that?
There is not a spree S, my guess is elite S with spree stickers...
The 93 jog is the pinacle of air cooled, carb'd scooters :imo:
It has the H-Minarelli and it is 60# lighter than the zuma. It will beat any of the honda 50 scooters and almost any other scooter under $2500 msrp. I had a '93 Jog (the dark blue, only 2 colors that year if I remember right), it ripped on the elite sr...Same weight but more HP and better handling. The elite is easier to work on if it breaks though.

And the gear kit doesn't make a spree quicker, it makes a spree faster.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
cooter69
BMX
BMX

Post by cooter69 »

Just edited my above post, while you were typing that reply. So you think the Jog is better eliteguy?
mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Post by mustangwagz »

ahh an elite! thats better. lol well..elite guy says go joggin. lol i do recall ppl sayin the early jogs were fast. now its upto you to decide. where ya located anyhow? just curious incase ya sell the elite... :naughty:
-Zac :coolcruise:

1981 HD-Ironhead Sporty. 1000cc, 4 speed, drag pipes, and drag bars.. (chic/cop magnet)
72 Rupp Roadster 2 (aka. RUMP ROASTER!!)
05 vinson
78 bronco (Log skiddin Hog!!)
cooter69
BMX
BMX

Post by cooter69 »

LOL!!!
I just went out AGAIN in my garage and looked and your right, its an elite HAHAHA. Anyway you still think this jog is better? Why do you think that?
Also I'm located in Fargo, ND.
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

cooter69 wrote:LOL!!!
I just went out AGAIN in my garage and looked and your right, its an elite HAHAHA. Anyway you still think this jog is better? Why do you think that?
Also I'm located in Fargo, ND.
Because I have owned a few Elite E's, and yours is an SB50p which means it is even more restricted. The Jog will accelerate quicker, go faster on the top speed, put out more power in bone stock form and in modded form. The forks instead of swingarm from suspension and the frame setup make for better handling. But all of that could be thrown out the window and I could say:
The elite E does not have a variator and the Jog does. That means "hold on to your britches because it is a whole different ride"
cooter69
BMX
BMX

Post by cooter69 »

What is a variator? Also why is it more restricted? Is there anything I can do to make it have less restriction? I see the previous owner cut 2 slits in the air box to let more air in. Should I take off the exhaust and burn the carbon out with a torch or something like that? I guess what I'm asking is, make this plain and simple for me, I'll sell my elite to my buddy if the jog is so much better. He wants one, so I'll buy the jog if it's really that much better, it doesnt matter to me either way. I dont want to tinker to the point of maintaining the thing every other week to make the elite as fast as the jog in stock forum, but want a faster bike if I can. People around here tailgate the * outa me already (*). Also whats the top speed on this thing, I dont know because my speedo doesnt work and I've only had it 2 days.
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

cooter69 wrote:What is a variator? Also why is it more restricted? Is there anything I can do to make it have less restriction? I see the previous owner cut 2 slits in the air box to let more air in. Should I take off the exhaust and burn the carbon out with a torch or something like that? I guess what I'm asking is, make this plain and simple for me, I'll sell my elite to my buddy if the jog is so much better. He wants one, so I'll buy the jog if it's really that much better, it doesnt matter to me either way. I dont want to tinker to the point of maintaining the thing every other week to make the elite as fast as the jog in stock forum, but want a faster bike if I can. People around here tailgate the * outa me already (*). Also whats the top speed on this thing, I dont know because my speedo doesnt work and I've only had it 2 days.
Sell it now, the only way to make the E comparable to the jog is with many hours of custom fab work to put a different motor into your elite frame. Top speed comparison with both in good tune: Jog= low 40's, Elite E=30 max. Acceleration: Jog will hit 30mph when the E is around 17mph (estimate, the jog is so much faster, I have never bothered with a head to head). The Jog has a huge aftermarket for performance parts (can make it go 70 mph if you want), the E has one gear set and one Big Bore Kit available from a member here on the forum but it still does not compare to a stock Jog.
The variator is what makes the tranny a CVT instead of a single speed. Imagine having a three speed auto tranny in the jog, now the E would have the same tranny but first and third gear would be broken.
cooter69
BMX
BMX

Post by cooter69 »

Alright, I think you've answered my questions very well! I think I may either A) Sell it to my mom, she wants a moped now that I am getting back into them, haha. Or, B) sell it to my friend and he'll be on these boards. Eitherway, I'll be around here. Glad to meet you eliteguy, you've helped me alot!
Bandit240
Spree
Spree

Post by Bandit240 »

Im going to echo everyone else and say get that Jog. I had a 1993 Jog and so far the only Honda 49cc scoot ive had that came close to it was an '85 Aero. Both of them did about 43 on flat ground with a 140# rider. Both would stand right up on the rear wheel in a hurry. The jog would scare the daylights out of me at a stoplight if i took off too quick.
1986 Honda Elite 150 Deluxe
1991 Yamaha XT600
1993 Honda Elite 80
2001 Honda Elite 50
cooter69
BMX
BMX

Post by cooter69 »

What is a fair price for one with 2300 miles on it?
Thanks for the input, the honda most likely is going to my mom!