New Member, new bike. SE50 Elite Aus spec.

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

SE50_4_ME
Goped
Goped

New Member, new bike. SE50 Elite Aus spec.

Post by SE50_4_ME »

Hello everyone. :hi:

I have been browsing this forum for about a week or so and thought I'd join up seens as I recently aquired a 1989 Honda Elite SE50!

A friend of-a-friend was going to take it to the Tip !!! :crazy: I said nooo. I'll take it off your hands. 8) Glad I did. Although he told me that it has been sitting for like 4 years in a shed. And he said one day it just kinda stopped and never ran again! :confused:

Anyway. I thought i'd share some pics of my (very in need of some TLC) Elite. And it's because of it needing a lot of attention I joined this forums. :nervous: (I also hope to assist where i can with what little knowledge I have.) :)

Browsing the forums I have come across some 'done up' Elites which have really inspired me. I am a fair way off yet.
All i would like to achieve for now is to actually get it starting and running. So be prepared for a lot of questions lol.
I have already downloaded the manual for it and will refer to that as much as possible.

From what I can gather, this was a 1987 model only in the U.S.
Then I belive Australia started getting them in '88, 89, & '90. Colours being white/red, blue/grey, red/black respectivley.

I have put a car battery jump pack to the battery, and absolutly nothing worked. So i at least want to give it electrical life for now... But i need to get it up on a workbench. can't do too much on the floor.
Also, it looks like someone has tryed to make it look like a *cough*Yamaha Jog *cough* With the purple paint scheme and rear lights. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

So for now, check out the pics. As you can see, i have a lot of work ahead of me :o

These 2 were in each glove box. :shock:

Thanks for seeing this post. Let me know what you guys think. :D

Steve.
Fishman43
Elite
Elite

Re: New Member, new bike. SE50 Elite Aus spec.

Post by Fishman43 »

looks like as good a place to start as any, and the price was right. Do you have the rear plastics? First things first from what I can see is, start with a REALLY good carb cleaning, then clean it again for good measure (there are a number of threads on carb cleaning here as well as on Wikispreedia), you will want to source an engine shroud for cooling purposes as runing without it will not last long (might be the reason it died), and it sounds like you need a new scooter batery.

Looks to be a fun winter project for you!
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Welcome.
48,300-something Kilometers?! Almost 30,000 Miles??! Must be a New World Record!

Agree with the advice to locate an engine shroud, and add an airbox or at least a 1" pod filter - well-oiled.

I'm not positive but the wires to the coil should be green and brown, IIRC. Could the P.O. have mistakenly hooked up the bystarter wires to the coil? That'd sure explain a non-starting condition.

The AF05 engine yours appears to have is fairly simple to understand/rebuild. If you can score the rear covers, the SE50 is arguably the prettiest of the Honda 'smokers. Sleek, integrated design and styling. The taillights can be fixed.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

SE50_4_ME wrote:Also, it looks like someone has tryed to make it look like a *cough*Yamaha Jog *cough* With the purple paint scheme and rear lights. :crazy:
Here here. I've got a Jog and like it. And my 99 Elite SR50 is that color purple.

All joking aside, you gotcha a project there for sure. Side cover suggests direct drive (no variator) similar to the Elite E. I believe the SE was the forerunner to the Elite E.

Good luck with it.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

Side cover suggests direct drive (no variator) similar to the Elite E. I believe the SE was the forerunner to the Elite E.

It is an AFO5E and has a vari I have an 87 Elite and it looks exactly the same. That bike goes 50 MPH easy. :geekdance:
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

martynkim wrote:
Side cover suggests direct drive (no variator) similar to the Elite E. I believe the SE was the forerunner to the Elite E.
It is an AFO5E and has a vari I have an 87 Elite and it looks exactly the same. That bike goes 50 MPH easy. :geekdance:
I stand corrected. Visitiing my favorite online store verified it and that the Aero as well has one piece cover and variator.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
SE50_4_ME
Goped
Goped

Post by SE50_4_ME »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

Welcome.
48,300-something Kilometers?! Almost 30,000 Miles??! Must be a New World Record!
Hey cool. I think. I didn't realise that was high :oops: I guess it is. Do I get a prise or something? :lol:

Hey guys And Thanks for the warm welcome. :D

I have a few questions about my scoot. Basically I have never modded one before, the most i have done is change a sparkplug and painted rims and some plastics etc.

So i have had a scan through these pages and already on the way to rebuilding it,
I have stripped and cleaned a carborettor,
removed drained, cleaned the oil tank, and
polished seat lock mechanism and painted frame black
I have currently got the fuel tank out to be cleaned.
And I have ordered a 'no limit' CDI of ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PERFORMA ... 45f2f38023

but I wanted to double check a few things first. I noticed you guys have some termanology for things like bbk, variator and a few other things i'm not sure on... :newb: (Could you fill me in please)

Goal= Reliable scooter that will do 45-50mp/h (70-80kph)

Could you run through a few things with me and point me in the right direction has to what I need to achieve this.
I was thinking about getting an exhaust from one mentioned here http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =4&t=12086
Also a bore kit from here http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/POLINI-B ... 3eff63fde5

Are these things i should be looking at or can i get away with not getting these items.

Appreciate your input. Many thanks. :thumbwink:
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Quoth SE50_4_ME:
Hey cool. I think. I didn't realise that was high I guess it is. Do I get a prise or something?
The Forum will send y'all some Zees (Sorry, Zeds... :oops: ) so's ya can spay-yell in thuh right proper American way. :)
So i have had a scan through these pages and already on the way to rebuilding it,
I have stripped and cleaned a carborettor,
removed drained, cleaned the oil tank, and
polished seat lock mechanism (Emphasis added, Ed.)
That last thing is critical! :)
And I have ordered a 'no limit' CDI of ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PERFORMA ... 45f2f38023
Sorry this is too late, but read the thread entitled "Waste of Money..."
but I wanted to double check a few things first. I noticed you guys have some termanology for things like bbk,
Big-Bore Kit
variator,
The Master side of the Movable-Face Belt Drive.
and a few other things i'm not sure on... (Could you fill me in please)
You'll pick it up. Read on!
Goal= Reliable scooter that will do 45-50mp/h (70-80kph)

Could you run through a few things with me and point me in the right direction has to what I need to achieve this.
I was thinking about getting an exhaust from one mentioned here viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12086
Tough to locate an SE/05 pipe here Stateside, and getting tougher. Maybe not so in the Southern Hemisphere?
Also a bore kit from here http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/POLINI-B ... 3eff63fde5
Good Choice if this is DayWOT. Pricey, though.
Are these things i should be looking at or can i get away with not getting these items.
Recommend you start with well-sorted stock scooter. Add the Variator first - DayWOT has a pretty good one for US$40. Big rear tire and good tuning should approach 75KPH.
Appreciate your input. Many thanks.
Sorry for razzing you about your Queen's English. :oops: How did you learn to read upside-down, anyway? :D
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH