new forum member restoring 1985 spree

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: new forum member restoring 1985 spree

Post by mousewheels »

Re the hole in the carb bowl, I honestly didn't spot that one. I will sure look for it when I pull the carb (3rd time haha). How do I go about clearing the small hole. Wire from a bread tie work or do I need something stiffer?
Bystarter Orifice
Check out our Wiki page on the bystarter for info and photos of the bystater orifice.http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?t ... at_It_Does It will take a small wire to clear the bystarter orifice - under 0.020. I used a 0.010 - 0.015" piece of piano wire

Emulsion tube
When you get that emulsion tube out, inspect the bitty holes are clear.
so a matchstick drove it out? I must be doing it wrong then because it sure seemed stuck in there. Just to make sure I am not being an idiot... I know the jet screws out of that tube but the sleeve everyone is talking about is just a brass insert that pushes out right?
I've had some that hung up - from damaged threads, very corroded inner carb bore (full of white powder).

Pilot Jet
The pilot jet orifice is not a straight shot out into the carb body. A wire will always get blocked. Some have been able to see light by shining a bright flashlight down the top (throttle slide side)
oldrock
Goped
Goped

Post by oldrock »

wow that is exactly what I needed to see. I now am clear on what to do so headed back out to give it a try. I don't have piano wire but do have lots of old guitar strings and bet the high e would work good for that. I'm headed back out to the garage. Thanks guys! I will report back once I get that stuff done.
1985 spree 49cc offsets my
1969 mustang w/390 big block
RZRob
Goped
Goped

Post by RZRob »

The emulsion tube comes out the bottom, by tapping on the exposed portion from the top. What I used for wire was I stripped a piece of 12 guage wire and used one of the strands. It probably took 12 strands to make the big wire, so one strand was pretty small, but had a spine.

RZ Rob
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

[quote="oldrock"]so a matchstick drove it out?

A match stick works very well for me :smile:

Also a side note, both the o ring and the shaped ring on the carbs were still there and looked ok although they did kinda swell a bit from the first short soak.

Never put you gaskets in with cleaner they will swell and may give you issues later always remove them. :lol:

Do you think I should pick up a new set? I did check after re-installing and nothing was leaking.

You might have gotten away with it this time :eyeroll:
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
oldrock
Goped
Goped

Post by oldrock »

well I guess third time is a charm :coolcruise:

after looking at the pics, I did all three steps. The bowl hole was sure enough there even though I missed it both other times. Used the guitar wire and it works no problem. First couple times I ran the wire thru it there was some brown stuff coming out so even though it wasn't blocked, it was dirty. Cleaned that part up and moved on to the little tube next to the main tube.

Used the same guitar string on that one. I was able to find a little hole and work the wire thru it several times. It was a fairly tight fit and didn't get any looser after running it thru several times so I guess that one was clear. Time to move on to that inner sleeve in the main tube with the jet. Oh boy was mine ever stuck. Tried pressing it out with the back of a small screwdriver and nothing. Tried tapping on the screwdriver and nothing. I ended up having to hit it harder than a tap to drive it flush with the carb body. Thought I had it done but nope. IT was just sitting there and I could not get it pushed on out. I am guessing maybe my hitting it made it slightly out of round because it would not push the rest of the way out. I ended up having to get a drill bit that was a perfect fit to press it on out. The one I ended up using was a 5/32" just in case anyone else needs to get one out like mine. Well with that tube out of there, I took a look. About half of the little holes were totally clogged up with shellac which was what glued it in there. I used that same high E guitar string and cleared each of the holes. Then sprayed it inside and out with carb cleaner and wiped it down really good.

Only thing left to do was to assemble the carb back on the bike and give it a shot. I let it warm up about 2 or 3 mins and then gave it a go. I now can give it full throttle! :smile: The scoot is easily getting 25mph on a flat road now. It slows down to about 15-18 on upgrades and gets up to 30 or so on slight downhill. The throttle does seem to have a little lag at full throttle. I am fine with that though. I think the scoot is probably not accelerating as hard as it can but that will be the fun part experimenting with stuff to see if I can get an honest 30mph on a level road.

thanks for the help guys! I look forward to learning more about scooters and am already thinking maybe need to be on the lookout for a 2nd scoot so the wife and I can both ride around town.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Well done :thumbwink:
..am already thinking maybe need to be on the lookout for a 2nd scoot so the wife and I can both ride around town
Yeah - go out and put another idled scooter back on the road!
RZRob
Goped
Goped

Post by RZRob »

oldrock wrote:The scoot is easily getting 25mph on a flat road now. It slows down to about 15-18 on upgrades and gets up to 30 or so on slight downhill. I am already thinking maybe need to be on the lookout for a 2nd scoot so the wife and I can both ride around town.
That's about mine. It's getting faster the more I blow it out. Mine'll do 35 down hill, and an honest 30 on flat, but can barely get my 190lb fat * up the hills around here.

So I bought the Aero first and it's a lot faster. Wife liked it so much I found the Spree. I ride the Spree so she can have a technical advantage. It's a blast cruising them around.

RZ Rob

I know these pics are reposts - sorry

oldrock
Goped
Goped

Post by oldrock »

cool pics rzrob! That is a nice pair of scooters you have there and I really like the look of that other scoot you have. I wouldn't mind finding one like that to add as a second one. The wife likes the whole scooter idea now that she has ridden it when it runs right. I let her ride it this evening after I got the carb working right and she was having a blast zooming up adn down the block. My two teenage boys also like the scooter btw.
oldrock
Goped
Goped

Post by oldrock »

ok ran about half a tank of gas thru it today between me and the two boys. I now have a very good idea of how the bike responds under acceleration. First off the scoot really seems to hit its power band at about 15mph. From 15 to 25 takes almost no time at all. Acceleration off a stop is better if I use about half throttle and will bog if I give it full throttle right away. With my 190 lbs it takes me 15-20 seconds to get from full stop to 15mph. It will go from 15 to 25mph in about 5 seconds. Then it will slowly climb to 27-28mph after about 30 seconds. Once it hits that 27-28 range, it doesn't go any faster unless I start going downhill :smile:

So now my next goal is to improve low end acceleration. I have been reading all i can about the carb adjustment and thinking maybe I should try adjusting the throttle needle clip setting? That or maybe experiment with different plugs. Right now I have the NGK BPR7HS in it. I also have a BPR6HSA in addition to the original BPR6HS that was in the bike when I bought it. So any thoughts on what would be the best plug to use given it is kinda sluggish off the stop but really hits a power band at around 15mph?
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

oldrock wrote:......................So now my next goal is to improve low end acceleration. I have been reading all i can about the carb adjustment and thinking maybe I should try adjusting the throttle needle clip setting? That or maybe experiment with different plugs. Right now I have the NGK BPR7HS in it. I also have a BPR6HSA in addition to the original BPR6HS that was in the bike when I bought it. So any thoughts on what would be the best plug to use given it is kinda sluggish off the stop but really hits a power band at around 15mph?
Unless you are going to add a BBK (Big Bore Kit), screwing around with the needle and/or jet will not gain you anything. Mainly because of the single speed final drive (AKA no real transmission). The only thing that will help is more cc in the engine. Once TAZ gets the Variator done for the Spree, then that will be your cure for the sluggish off the line acceleration situation.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

You have done very well for yourself although, as bear stated you won't ever get rid of the sluggish or as I call it flintstone take off without the addition of a BBK. :thumbwink:
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
oldrock
Goped
Goped

Post by oldrock »

so everyone's spree is sluggish off the line till it hits around 15mph and then really takes off? Sure would be nice if I could spread out that power band a bit to get a bit better acceleration off a stop. When I am on a slight incline... it is really slow to build up that first 15mph. I am fine with the 27-28mph top speed. Just wish I could get a bit more low end acceleration so I don't crawl away from a stop sign in traffic. That first 20 seconds or so is brutal :roll:

having said that, if I can keep the bike above 15mph, it really rides nice now :coolcruise:
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

What you explain is normal cure is BBK!
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

You could always move the front pulley halves slightly farther apart (put a shim or shims in between the pulley halves), there by lowering the gear ratio. You may or may not loose some top end, but that is unknown as everybody else here is totally top speed driven and as far as I know no one has tried this. Myself really don't care about of the line. That's why I ran 428CJs for years, you want off the line punch, get a big block or and FE if you are into those.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
oldrock
Goped
Goped

Post by oldrock »

Just for the fun of it, I think i will do some experimenting to see if I can find a way to get a bit better off the line performance out of it. I can't help but think there is at least a little room to improve without a big bore kit. Course i am not ruling out a big bore at some point :wink: I was thinking I would get a 2.75 rear tire to gain a little top end but now think that would just make off teh line acceleration worse. Actually that variable tranny upgrade would sure be nice. get stronger low end acceleration AND more top end with that.

BTW, your mustang example is something I can relate to. My other hobby :thumbsup: