new forum member restoring 1985 spree

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: new forum member restoring 1985 spree

Post by Bear45-70 »

oldrock wrote:Just for the fun of it, I think i will do some experimenting to see if I can find a way to get a bit better off the line performance out of it. I can't help but think there is at least a little room to improve without a big bore kit. Course i am not ruling out a big bore at some point :wink: I was thinking I would get a 2.75 rear tire to gain a little top end but now think that would just make off teh line acceleration worse. Actually that variable tranny upgrade would sure be nice. get stronger low end acceleration AND more top end with that.

BTW, your mustang example is something I can relate to. My other hobby :thumbsup:
Well to tell you the truth, Honda-san has fine tuned these little motors pretty well. I mean they are only 50 cc but pulling close to 2.5 to 3 hp. And an 50 cc, 8K top end motor just isn't gonna have much left in it. The bigger tire will have the opposite effect you are looking for, It will hurt the bottom end and help the top mph. If you want more low end grunt, you need a smaller diameter tire. I don't even know if there are 2.25 X 10 tire. but if there is that is what you want.

Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
oldrock
Goped
Goped

Post by oldrock »

woot! gotta love them old fords :2thumbs:

I am going to fiddle around with my carb some just so I can learn more about these little things. If I can't get a little better off the line performance by tweaking the carb or the plug range, I might have to start saving my pennies for an upgrade. Rather than a big bore kit, I'd think the variable tranny would be the ticket for me if it isn't too expensive of an upgrade.
1985 spree 49cc offsets my
1969 mustang w/390 big block
RZRob
Goped
Goped

Post by RZRob »

OldRock, I think you're going to be beating a dead horse trying to improve bottom-end pull. I've got the Aero and the Spree and both run fantastic, but the fixed gearing on the Spree provides "middle-of-the-road" gearing sacrificing a little from the bottom and a little from the top relative to the Aero.

In musclecar line of thought, you might try heavier springs in the clutch (i.e. raise the stall) so the engine has a chance to get more into its powerband before taking on any load of a rider.

RZ Rob
oldrock
Goped
Goped

Post by oldrock »

you guys are probably right about the weak off the line performance just being part of the tradeoff with a single speed tranny. I think I have it running pretty good now. Bike starts up easy and idles nice and smooth. Revs good but just doesn't have much pull off the line. Not a big deal on a flat road but if I pull up to a stop light that is on an incline, it starts off really slow. I can now see how a cvt would sure help the little scoot both off the line and to get better top end. So is there one available for the spree curently or is it just in the works?
1985 spree 49cc offsets my
1969 mustang w/390 big block