How to start my Honda Spree?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

fmc123
Noob
Noob

How to start my Honda Spree?

Post by fmc123 »

Hi guys,

I know this sounds like a total newb question, but what exactly is the correct procedure to start your Spree? I've been getting conflicting advice and I can't seem to find an answer to my basic question on google without having to sift through tons of other information...

From my understanding: you put the stand on, put the key in the ignition and turn, put the gas switch on run, accelerate a little and then kick start... But this doesn't always work. Especially the next day when I want to start it again.

What does start button right underneath the gas switch do?

Thanks!

- Confused new driver
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: How to start my Honda Spree?

Post by Bear45-70 »

fmc123 wrote:Hi guys,

I know this sounds like a total newb question, but what exactly is the correct procedure to start your Spree? I've been getting conflicting advice and I can't seem to find an answer to my basic question on google without having to sift through tons of other information...

From my understanding: you put the stand on, put the key in the ignition and turn, put the gas switch on run, accelerate a little and then kick start... But this doesn't always work. Especially the next day when I want to start it again.

What does start button right underneath the gas switch do?

Thanks!

- Confused new driver
First off the "run/stop" switch turns the ignition on and off as does the key switch. Do not touch the throttle. Now crank the kicker.

The start button is for the electric starter. Install good battery or charge the one you have. Pull the brake lever on, you can lock the left one and now hit the button. The engine should crank over and start.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
JJ Joseph
Spree
Spree

Post by JJ Joseph »

fmc123 wrote:Hi guys,

I know this sounds like a total newb question, but what exactly is the correct procedure to start your Spree?
Just turn the key, hold the brake lever (either one), and push the Start button. Make sure the kill switch is pointing to "Run". Most Sprees will light up immediately. They won't start easily if they've been sitting for a couple of weeks. Squirt some plain gas into the carb opening and it'll start immediately. If the battery's dead, you can connect jumper cables from a car.
fmc123
Noob
Noob

Post by fmc123 »

Thanks guys

When the bike's cooled down and hasn't been used for a few hours, I find it difficult to start. It takes a few minutes of kick-starting for it to light up. It has no problem starting when it's warmed up, but otherwise it's an effort
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Compression test is needed at this point.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree