General Questions-1987 Elite SE50 (unrestricted version)...

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

grahamcracker
Noob
Noob

General Questions-1987 Elite SE50 (unrestricted version)...

Post by grahamcracker »

Hey everyone!
Though I would say hello as I have been stalking for a bit. Anyway I am the new owner of a 1987 elite s (se50), the unrestricted version;) Now to the serious stuff... How to make it faster :coolcruise:

I can get the scoot going 35 on the flats and it got up to 45 on a slight downhill. It spews blue smoke every once and awhile, seems to come and go though... I know I don't have a restrictive muffler but I'm not too sure if it has anything on that would be slowing it down or if it just needs a good going through.

I plan on swapping out the oil, airfilter, and belt. Anything else I'm missing? A good guide on what to replace or freshen up would be awesome! The thing only has 920 miles on it though :D

Also how hard is it to replace the lock that holds seat down as it is missing? I would have to replace the ignition too I'd imagine, any chance they may still have this at the Honda dealership? :jack:

I'm a newb when it comes to scoots but have some experience with cars. But I'm gonna use this for commuting around Eugene Oregon so it'll see some rain too... But any help is appreciated, thanks!!!

(sorry if post us a bit off as I'm did this on my phone)
Last edited by grahamcracker on Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Newb and a se50...

Post by Trafficjamz »

Put AF16E (dio) gears in it.

If it ha 11:1 gears in it now, 9.8:1 gears will be a nice improvement.

Some say it can't be done...It can. Ask me how if you really wanna know.
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
drizzle
Elite
Elite

Post by drizzle »

it's an 87, it might very well have 10:1 gears. 9.8:1 wouldn't be much of an improvement...
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

Honda made them with approx ratios of 10.2:1 or 11.1:1 Stock. Do you know which set you have?

Check your roller weights for flat spots when you replace the belt. It would also be a good time to upgrade to a performance variator aka movable drive face.

Replacing that lock is not difficult, just takes a bit of time (half hour maybe). You don't need to change your keyed ignition switch, you could just use two different keys like most cars of that era were doing. Check ebay and place a wanted ad here on the forum for a lower cost option aka used lock.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

eliteguy50 wrote:Honda made them with approx ratios of 10.2:1 or 11.1:1 Stock. Do you know which set you have?

If you don't know just rotate the rear wheel once and count the number of times the clutch bell rotates.
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight