1978 Honda Hobbit, PA50, build up?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

nickisaninja
Goped
Goped

1978 Honda Hobbit, PA50, build up?

Post by nickisaninja »

About 6 months ago, my girlfriend and I picked up a few scooters. I got an 87 elite se50p for parts, and she got a hobbit complete and a honda parts bike with two buckets of parts for $50.
I just started tearing down the hobbit. I've taken a while to get to this thing because the se50 swap in my spree took priority, school then work yadda yadda.
I took the head and jug off and the piston has no discernible scoring on the skirts or jug. It looks perfect inside. The rest of the moped has obviously been neglected outside but internals are a go.
The wiring is completely shot someone along the lines thought they would play electrician and things aren't all great. I'm going to hone the jug, re ring, pull the carb and tank and try to run it.

Before I do this I'd like to find some tutorials much like on this site...actually pictorials. I need some direction on this thing because the technology is still foreign to me. 2 strokes AND a carb? I think I just pooped a little.

Anyway can anyone point me in a direction? I'll post some pictures up this weekend, this thing is * SWEET!
Gungatim
Noob
Noob

Re: 1978 Honda Hobbit, PA50, build up?

Post by Gungatim »

I've got a couple of hobbit's, and built one up pretty good. I used a 70cc cylinder kit, bored the carb out to 12mm and rejetted, and put a puch jammi pipe on it welded to the original exhaust elbow. I also used the PA50II ramp plate so it does a nice 40mph. There is lots of info and tutorials on moped army for the honda's, there is a really good step by step of cleaning the finicky carb. Treats is the place to go for parts. Remember, the hobbit is only a 20mph bike stock, so you really have to open it up to breathe and change the variator to go faster, but they are solid and run forever.
Current lineup:
'66 Honda CT-90
'70 Solex
'74 Solex Horse
'77 Hobbit
'78 PA50II
'78 Express
'81 Express II
'79 Puch Maxi-Luxe
'87 Razz
'95 Elite
'51 PM putt-putt
'64 Daimler-Puch
Happy Time 80cc motorbikes (2)
Man, I really need a Spree!!
Wheelman-111

Re: 1978 Honda Hobbit, PA50, build up?

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Quoth GungaTim:
...bored the carb out to 12mm and rejetted...
Do you have any information on how to do this? I'm confident it would make an informative addition to the Technical Documents, particularly with Pics! :)
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH