1987 Honda Spree- NEED HELP!!

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Carnie
Elite
Elite

1987 Honda Spree- NEED HELP!!

Post by Carnie »

Hi, I just bought a 1987 Honda Spree. It tops out right around 32mph, I am hoping to get it up to around 40 mph, but I dont know what would be the best way to do this. I have been told to bore it out. Unfortunately, I do not know a whole lot about the spree, or their engines for that matter. Would I be able to put an 80cc engine into it? What advice would you have for me?
1987 Spree
1994 Elite SR
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: 1987 Honda Spree- NEED HELP!!

Post by eliteguy50 »

Carnie wrote:Hi, I just bought a 1987 Honda Spree. It tops out right around 32mph, I am hoping to get it up to around 40 mph, but I dont know what would be the best way to do this. I have been told to bore it out. Unfortunately, I do not know a whole lot about the spree, or their engines for that matter. Would I be able to put an 80cc engine into it? What advice would you have for me?
You can make anything fit with enough time and effort (ever seen a Boss Hoss 502?). A big bore kit is cheaper than boring out your cylinder. Then you will always have your stock cylinder to fall back on. Add a set of gears with the BBK and you will hit 40mph. Doing this will increase your top speed but your acceleration will remain about the same. For quicker acceleration and a higher top speed, you have to do an engine swap. Look for a variated af05 or af16 or even an 80 if you want to swap that.

Important safety note: doing this will increase your speed but your brakes are still only designed to stop a 30mph scoot.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
Carnie
Elite
Elite

Post by Carnie »

I have found two bore kits online, One being a 44mm and the other a 48mm. Will they both work for the Spree and what is the difference, as far as power, between the two? The 48mm is $145. Is it worth spending the extra money? What is BBK gears? And where would I be able to find a af05 of af16? Is there any place I can look at them online? Thanks!
1987 Spree
1994 Elite SR
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

Carnie wrote:I have found two bore kits, One being a 44mm and the other a 48mm. Will they both work for the Spree and what is the difference, as far as power, between the two? The 48mm is $145. Is it worth spending the extra money? And where would I be able to find a af05 of af16? Is there any place I can look at them online? Thanks!
People here on the board have the variated af05 and af16 (spree uses the NON-variated af05) for sale and other places online sell them. Honda produced them from 1985-2001. The variated af05: 1985-1993, the variated af16: 1994-2001.

The 44mm kit will have less torque due to its smaller displacement. It will also be easier to tune for beginners. The 48 will give more torque/power but it also takes more knowledge to tune it. I think it is worth spending the extra money but then again, I have a lot of experience with 2t scoots. If you don't know anything about engines, your best bet is a swap. You do a little bit of wiring, a couple welds and you are done (with some hours of work in there too). Had to screw up a swap when you follow everything here on the board.
Carnie
Elite
Elite

Post by Carnie »

Well I havent quite figured everything out on here yet. I just created my account. I needed help, and this looked like the only place that had what I was looking for. Where do I go to find parts?
1987 Spree
1994 Elite SR
Carnie
Elite
Elite

Post by Carnie »

Well I havent quite figured everything out on here yet. I just created my account. I needed help, and this looked like the only place that had what I was looking for. Where do I go to find parts?
1987 Spree
1994 Elite SR
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

Carnie wrote:Well I havent quite figured everything out on here yet. I just created my account. I needed help, and this looked like the only place that had what I was looking for. Where do I go to find parts?
You can place a want to buy ad here: http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=2

Browse through here for some swap pictures and ideas: http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=16

Sometimes the af16 will be referred to as a 'dio' because Honda never sold us an actual dio here in the USA.

Help is why we are here :thumbwink: and welcome to hondaspree.net :hi:
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

Carnie wrote:I have found two bore kits online, One being a 44mm and the other a 48mm. Will they both work for the Spree and what is the difference, as far as power, between the two? The 48mm is $145. Is it worth spending the extra money? What is BBK gears? And where would I be able to find a af05 of af16? Is there any place I can look at them online? Thanks!
I missed one of these questions earlier: BBK gears.
BBK is short for big bore kit
BBK gears refer to the only set of bolt on aftermarket gears available for the spree. They are a taller gear set allowing for a higher top speed. They are too tall for the stock bore to drive them, that is why I called them BBK gears, only the BBK or a highly modified engine can drive the gears.
There are 2 BBKs available for the spree and only one gear set available for the spree. All of them are sold by the same guy on ebay, he is also a member of the board here. Both BBK's will require you to have your stock head machined or use gaskets to space out the head to clear the new/larger piston. Both will work for the spree. If you go with a BBK or with boring out your stock cylinder as indicated in your OP (original post), you will have to pre-mix your gas and oil before filling up your tank (all .66 gallons of it). If you go with an engine swap, the swapped engine will have an oil pump so you can just add straight gas to your fuel tank and straight 2t oil to your oil reservoir.

The variated af05 started production in the 1985-87 Aero 50, then in the '87-93 elite 50. Avoid engines from the 1988-1990 elite E or ES 50, they are basically the same as your spree. The af16 only came in a variated version. The af16 came in the 1994-2001 elite S and SR. The SR will be bolt up and go 40mph. The S was Honda's restricted model so you will have to remove the restrictions to reach 40mph. The af16 has a larger aftermarket if you plan on doing more engine modifications down the road.

Here is more info about engine codes and models: http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... f=8&t=8379
Carnie
Elite
Elite

Post by Carnie »

Oh, okay. I see. What would you recommend I do, seeing that I don't really know much? I dont know if I will do any more engine mods down the road but I do really like that option, but I will not be able to do much fabricating. I can take it to a shop, but that tends to be where it gets a little pricey.
1987 Spree
1994 Elite SR
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

FYI, the Spree BBKs (both the 44 and 48mm) on flea-bay are offered by a forum member, tazland001 (the same as chopchop 123 on flea-bay) and he will give you a discount if you order thru the forum. Just PM him.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
reynoldston
Goped
Goped

Post by reynoldston »

It's a honda spree made to go 30 + mph. Just a nice fun bike to ride. Why would you want to spend a lot of money on it to make it go only 8 mph faster. If you want speed get a biger bike which would be made to go faster.
Carnie
Elite
Elite

Post by Carnie »

reynoldston wrote:It's a honda spree made to go 30 + mph. Just a nice fun bike to ride. Why would you want to spend a lot of money on it to make it go only 8 mph faster. If you want speed get a biger bike which would be made to go faster.
A) Because I am a broke college kid relying on this as my mode of transportation. I cannot afford a faster one therefore I am looking for pocket friendly alternatives to gaining more speed.
1987 Spree
1994 Elite SR
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Axted reynoldston:
It's a honda spree made to go 30 + mph. Just a nice fun bike to ride. Why would you want to spend a lot of money on it to make it go only 8 mph faster.

Why? Why indeed?!
Why did Sir Edmund Hillary climb Everest? To see if he could!

Unless you're stuck for cheap transportation in a tropical climate where sub-50cc machines don't require a lot of bureaucracy, Nothing about scooter modding makes any sense. That's why we like it. There's still Nobility - and a few lessons about mechanics and life - to be learned in the process.

Any half-witted moron can twist the throttle of a Hayabusa and go 180. But can he mod one to go 360? Doubling stock speed happens every day here. Lots of Dawgs get 1 MPH per cc. That'd be Mach II on your Hybie. Think it over.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
reynoldston
Goped
Goped

Post by reynoldston »

Yes you can spend a lot of money to make the spree go fast. I have found that engine mods are not cheap. You will still have a under brake, tires, etc. Honda spree made to go 30mph and made it unsafe. You can sell the spree and the money spent trying to make it go faster and get a good used bike. If money is no problim and you just enjoy this type of work I say go for it or you could just enjoy what you have, as you said you have little money. I got two honda sprees and a full size Harley Davidson and I put more miles on the Sprees then the harley. They are just a low maintenance fun bike to ride like they are.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

We evidently have a lot in common, R. Each bike has its niche.
Attachments
F3.26RSide.jpg
F3.26RSide.jpg (70.18 KiB) Viewed 4851 times
SportsterR.jpg
SportsterR.jpg (45.45 KiB) Viewed 4851 times
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH