Spree on a 45 mph road?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

EthioKnight
Goped
Goped

Spree on a 45 mph road?

Post by EthioKnight »

Hi there,
I recently became the proud owner of a '84 Spree that looks and runs great. Considering I'm new to the States, I was wondering if y'all can provide me with an "American" perspective on my desire to ride my Spree on 45 mph limit roads.
My spree can pull off 30-33 mph on a flat stretch and even though I haven't ventured out that much, I would like to retire my car and use her as my primary means of transportation.( Home > School > Work and back...all within a 10 mile radius).
Do you think it's too risky?
P.S. The roads I'm referring to are teeming with roaring mustangs, monster trucks and those damned octogenarians with their big Cadillacs lol. (Just your usual traffic in the deep south).
Any advice from seasoned riders would be appreciated.
Thanks!
blackbirdzach
BMX
BMX

Re: Spree on a 45 mph road?

Post by blackbirdzach »

I use to commute every day on a 49cc Yamaha Zuma on 45mph roads. I typically stayed close to the white line and if someone wanted to go around, they always gave me plenty of room. But then again, I live in a small town and people are pretty nice around here.
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

I wouldn't try it unless theres a nice shoulder you'd be comfortable to ride on instead of the lane.

That Spree will be going 30mph tops (the speedos are optimistic) and all other traffic will be going 45mph (at least). Thats a risk I wouldn't take when combined with the reduced visibility of the scooter.
1986 Spree w/ '87 SE50 motor
1985 Aero 50 w/ Dio motor: On Hold
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

A 30 mph Spree on a 45 mph road, where most are driving 50+ is a great way to get killed. Mainly because most drivers don't see any 2 wheeled vehicles much less a little itty bitty Spree. I wouldn't do it except if that road is real rural and has very little traffic on it.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

DEATH WISH
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
woodman
BMX
BMX

Post by woodman »

dern i must be cluckin crazy than. i fearlessly do it every day,in a busy rural/suburban area but hay i gotta go to work and another car just isent gonna happen so imo dowachagottado .and wear a brite orange coat and try to leave before rush hour it does make a difference and the boss loves ya gettin there early an werkin late all the time an added bonus.
EthioKnight
Goped
Goped

Post by EthioKnight »

No matter how disheartening your responses might be, I shall not waver in my resolve to spree down treacherous roads at 30 mph!
What better way but to meet the inevitability of death whilst riding my spree.
lol
Forgive me, I just watched Thor and I'm feeling overly brave.
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

EthioKnight wrote:No matter how disheartening your responses might be, I shall not waver in my resolve to spree down treacherous roads at 30 mph!
lol
:rock: :rock: :rock:

You go man! Ride right in the center of your lane too. :2thumbs: Make the cars go all the way around you. :smile:
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

I wouldnt be that sacred but you will need to go a lot faster to keep up. You will have to do an engine swap for that kind of speed. Yah thats right swap in a elite sr(94-2001) engine for that appliction. You need some serious power to keep up.

Taz
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

EthioKnight wrote:No matter how disheartening your responses might be, I shall not waver in my resolve to spree down treacherous roads at 30 mph!
lol
dio swap and ur set! :rock:
projects galore :nerd:
fastplastic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fastplastic »

tazland001 wrote: You will have to do an engine swap for that kind of speed. Yah thats right swap in a elite sr(94-2001) engine for that appliction.

Taz
:surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise:
reynoldston
Goped
Goped

Post by reynoldston »

Ride my Honda spree on 55MPH no shoulder roads all the time with no problim. Ride on the right side of the lane and shoulder when there is one. I go to the left of my lane when makeing a left turn. This is NY state law when rideing a class B scooter.
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

Spree engines are fun but no match for a swap. Sometimes that is what is required. In fact I am going to do swap for my Honda Pal. The honda Pal looks * with an elite sr engine and the power with the light frame must be insane. :ndance:

Taz
fastplastic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fastplastic »

o it is :2thumbs:
SpreeMadness520
Elite
Elite

Post by SpreeMadness520 »