I got a 1985 Honda Aero 50 What the * do I do now???

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

motormike

Re: I got a 1985 Honda Aero 50 What the * do I do now???

Post by motormike »

with the tube still in the nozzle of the carb-cleaner,.....hold tube against all passages[one-at-a-time] and spray....there will be carb-cleaner following that passage and exiting somewhere.....if NOT, then consider that passage blocked.....look closely for all holes in carb body and repeat procedure.....it takes time to verify all passages open and flowing.....keep in mind that the carb-spray method is not a guranateed success everytime......when a repair shop cleans a carb, they let it soak submerged in a gallon[or more] of carb-cleaner for a while [like overnite] and follow up with air nozzle from compressor blasting every possible nook and cranny......this method actually dissolves the varnished gasoline and forces leftover residue out with air.....spray-can carb-cleaner just doesn't have the intensity to do the job.......in your case, I suspect the orifice that supplys gas to the bystarter is blocked, or it would likely start.....in order to continue idling, the pilot jet and passage must also be clear......then for throttle to respond, all must be clear.....dont worry about the needle seat if passage is open....also, dont worry about the needle being black on the tip....it is made of a rubber-like material [viton] and is dark in color,.....important that this tip is not damaged and appears to be a smooth bullet shape.....okay, now I'm outta gas.....hope things develope positively.............. :urban:
RideRed
<(2)Gyro S><Helix><Sym Wolf>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
maxreverb
Spree
Spree

Post by maxreverb »

Thanks scooter pals, i've had a few drinks and am feeling much better. These are helpful posts,thanks guys. I think I'll get it tomorrow. I've learned a lot about carb theory today and the pieces are starting to make sense.
1985 HONDA AERO
1986 HONDA SPREE
maxreverb
Spree
Spree

Post by maxreverb »

Today's dilemma should be an easy one. I need to change the spark plug. I have a new one, and know where the old one is but can't find any instructions on how to do it properly. I know it's supposed to just screw out, do I need a special tool for this?
1985 HONDA AERO
1986 HONDA SPREE
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

maxreverb wrote:Today's dilemma should be an easy one. I need to change the spark plug. I have a new one, and know where the old one is but can't find any instructions on how to do it properly. I know it's supposed to just screw out, do I need a special tool for this?
You will need a deep spark plug socket and a ratchet wrench. Remove plug wire, slide socket down over the plug until it bottoms our (you might have to twist it a little back and forth to drop all the way down). Attach the wrench and loosen the plug (righty tighty, lefty loosie). Once the plug feels loose remove the ratchet and turn the socket until the plug is free of the head. Now take the new plug and screw it it as far as you can with your FINGERS. Using the socket can cause you to end up with the threads crossed and a head removal for repairs. Now use the ratchet to tighten the plug 1/2 to 3/4 a turn tighter than finger tight. Too tight and again you can strip the threads out of the head, again requiring head removal and repair of the threads. Reinstall wire and you are good to go.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
maxreverb
Spree
Spree

Post by maxreverb »

Awesome. Puts the brakes on things for now but I have band practice tonight and my drummer said he has one of those tools that I can borrow. It seems like a delicate system, the spark thats where some of the magic happens at least, I didn't want to just blindly hammer away at it. I feel like i did a really good job on the carb so I'm hoping with this new plug will get her to start. from the side i can see the plug looks nasty.
1985 HONDA AERO
1986 HONDA SPREE
maxreverb
Spree
Spree

Post by maxreverb »

Thanks Bear that was easy once I had that tool. My friend used to be a plumber and he said he bought that set just to get one thats used for tightening toilet seats, so if you got a loose toilet seat there you go.

No luck starting though. I thought for sure it would after i saw the old plug was oily like i saw on the bad plug chart.
If I can't force it to start soon, I'm not sure what else to do. though i have enjoyed fixing the scooter up i did get it because i need transportation for work not to be a hobby, so if I can't get it going in the next few days i guess I'll have to put it in the shop.
def a pride hit if i have to do that, but i'm not mechanic, and i guess it would be silly to think i could learn to be one over the course of a week or so.

its funny because i did get it to start a couple of times before I cleaned the carb. the first time I cleaned it maybe i didnt do that great but the next time i really cleaned it as much as possible for me to do.

but so far the only time it has started is with the dirty carb and oily plug. this electric start only has got to be the worst honda idea ever
and i imagine thats why it sat new at the dealership for 4 years without being sold until going to a woman who when i asked about the kickstart had no idea what one was or that most scooters could be started that way.

so before submitting this i went and tryed to start her again. No go however I did notice something new. Well i complained about no throttle before this time when i was trying to examine it closely and saw that the throttle had come completely unscrewed. I screwed it back in and could feel the tension and adjusted it to what seemed normal.

when I'm starting it should i be trying to give it gas via the throttle?
1985 HONDA AERO
1986 HONDA SPREE
bradmeehan
Elite
Elite

Post by bradmeehan »

Is the insulator between the carb and intake upside down or backwards? There is a wrong way to install it.
1986 Spree
1986 Spree (Big Bore)
1985 Aero 50
1985 Aero 80
1988 Elite 50 (SB50)

1985 "OrangeJuice" (Sold)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CYYlkRRqa8
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

maxreverb wrote:Thanks Bear that was easy once I had that tool. My friend used to be a plumber and he said he bought that set just to get one thats used for tightening toilet seats, so if you got a loose toilet seat there you go.

No luck starting though. I thought for sure it would after i saw the old plug was oily like i saw on the bad plug chart.
If I can't force it to start soon, I'm not sure what else to do. though i have enjoyed fixing the scooter up i did get it because i need transportation for work not to be a hobby, so if I can't get it going in the next few days i guess I'll have to put it in the shop.
def a pride hit if i have to do that, but i'm not mechanic, and i guess it would be silly to think i could learn to be one over the course of a week or so.

its funny because i did get it to start a couple of times before I cleaned the carb. the first time I cleaned it maybe i didnt do that great but the next time i really cleaned it as much as possible for me to do.

but so far the only time it has started is with the dirty carb and oily plug. this electric start only has got to be the worst honda idea ever
and i imagine thats why it sat new at the dealership for 4 years without being sold until going to a woman who when i asked about the kickstart had no idea what one was or that most scooters could be started that way.

so before submitting this i went and tryed to start her again. No go however I did notice something new. Well i complained about no throttle before this time when i was trying to examine it closely and saw that the throttle had come completely unscrewed. I screwed it back in and could feel the tension and adjusted it to what seemed normal.

when I'm starting it should i be trying to give it gas via the throttle?
Cold starting requires NO throttle or the bystarter will not work properly there by causing a no start. Some times when warm you have to apply a little throttle, my Aero 80 requires it to start warm, but many do not require any throttle warm either. You have to experiment and see what works. Have you tried priming the engine with a 50 to 1 gas and oil premix?
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
maxreverb
Spree
Spree

Post by maxreverb »

Brad, which way should it go?

Bear, by prime if you mean put in the tank than yes. if i can dab some somewhere else to give it a boost than no.
1985 HONDA AERO
1986 HONDA SPREE
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

When an engine will not start, one trouble shooting technique is to squirt some premixed fuel into the airbox inlet or into the carb mouth if the airbox is off (the latter is the preferred method, but you can also pull the spark plug, squirt some fuel in, reinstall the plug and try to start it). If the engine fires and dies then you now know that the engine will run but the carb is not right and needs a major cleaning (instructions are found in Wikispreedia).

FYI, my 1985 Spree will start and idle with the airbox off but anything above that, it dies, so the airbox is important.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Mystic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Mystic »

Instead of using the starter spray, take the spark plug out and pour a bottle cap full of gas in the hole, might as well dip your plug end in gas and wipe it clean while you are at it then put it back in :D have you a 20oz bottle of some premixed gas just for such occassion :D good luck
1986 Spree/ Eve af16 swapped 65cc Prodigy vari 8g 9:1 Ruima gears
21mm OKO 42/100 32:1 45mph kymco zx exhaust
1994 Elite S 17.5mm Arreche, Daytona reeds, SEF ramp, pump plugged :D
1987 Elite SE50 af16 swapped
1989 Elite E SB50p
2003 Yamaha Zuma
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

maxreverb wrote:Brad, which way should it go?
It only goes one way to be correct and it is obvious if you hold it up the carb. You will be able to tell when it's lined up, it's either upside down or on right. And...o-ring between carb and insulator, then o-ring between insulator and intake, not o-ring to o-ring.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
maxreverb
Spree
Spree

Post by maxreverb »

I'll check it out, right now.
1985 HONDA AERO
1986 HONDA SPREE
maxreverb
Spree
Spree

Post by maxreverb »

Good call Brad, I can see now that i do have the heat insulator upside down. I will try and fix that now.

My o-ring is damaged in one place from me trying to remove it to clean the carb and it breaking. it was so brittle there was no way to avoid it. i just called the honda shop which was closed and left a message to see if i can get one.

i put i back in the best i could but there are a couple little gaps.
1985 HONDA AERO
1986 HONDA SPREE
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

You could try a hardware store or home depot type store, they should have an o-ring that would work.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.