tube tires vs tubeless

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

maxreverb
Spree
Spree

Re: tube tires vs tubeless

Post by maxreverb »

its the rear tire of my aero and the tube is popped. I was just going to replace the tube but upon study the tire while straining to remove
it I noticed it has deep crack in the rubber all along the side. if this tire is no good and i need a new one i guess I'll have to wait. For the time being can I cheat and take the rear wheel off my 86 spree?
1985 HONDA AERO
1986 HONDA SPREE
maxreverb
Spree
Spree

Post by maxreverb »

Anyone know if these tires are any good VEE RUBBER 3.00-10 Tires VRM-134 ?
1985 HONDA AERO
1986 HONDA SPREE
motormike

Post by motormike »

......No personal opinion, but several of my minimotard friends have recently purchased Vee Rubber tires because they say these tires are very good quality/cost ratio...... :hi:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
maxreverb
Spree
Spree

Post by maxreverb »

The rear axel nut is one i'm currently at war with.

seriously thinking about a wheel upgrade
to the elite or met rim depending on how expensive and or hard to get they are. might be easier in the long run.
1985 HONDA AERO
1986 HONDA SPREE
motormike

Post by motormike »

....There's a real need to hOLD the wheel extrmely well while attempting the axle nut removal......the only easy way is impact.....I have electric.....using the wrench or socket method requires pipe thru the wheel, depending onwheel design, or similar leverage device........ :hi:
RideRed
maxreverb
Spree
Spree

Post by maxreverb »

:hi:

got the axel nut off. had to put a pipe on the ratchet and a broom handle to hold it in place.

have the new tube on the rim just need to figure out how to put it into the tire.
1985 HONDA AERO
1986 HONDA SPREE
dun rite
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by dun rite »

maxreverb wrote:have the new tube on the rim just need to figure out how to put it into the tire.
you need to leave one side of the tire on the rim, then put the tube in place, then put the other side of the tire one the rim. be careful with the last side, that's when you can pinch the tube. good luck :smile:
taz 50mm bbk, 51g. rollers,1500 c spring
24mm arreche, #20 pilot, E2 needle clip on lower groove
arreche air filter
Naruku intake, reeds & block
v8 pipe
stock gears
trail tech temp & rpm gauges
motormike

Post by motormike »

maxreverb wrote::hi:
have the new tube on the rim just need to figure out how to put it into the tire.
I want to help you Max, can you wait until I stop rolling on the floor?......... :newb:
.........do what Dunrite said......(wiping tears from eyes, blowing nose)
RideRed
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

motormike wrote:
maxreverb wrote::hi:
I want to help you Max, can you wait until I stop rolling on the floor?......... :newb:
.........do what Dunrite said......(wiping tears from eyes, blowing nose)
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
maxreverb
Spree
Spree

Post by maxreverb »

i know what can ya do... i didnt know what a scooter was 3 months ago

i couldnt figure it out from the intructions but in the end it was way simpler than i was trying to make it.

i found this video to be very helpful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKFuH4qo5XU

:newb:
1985 HONDA AERO
1986 HONDA SPREE
maxreverb
Spree
Spree

Post by maxreverb »

I should have known it was a little too simple. i think im going to have to try re inflating it
to get it to seat properly, it just doesnt seem right now that its back on the bike.
1985 HONDA AERO
1986 HONDA SPREE
maxreverb
Spree
Spree

Post by maxreverb »

Well i guess i'm going to have to give up on this one. i've brought 2 scooters back to life, but this tire thing is beyond me. i've taken the tire/ muffler on and off 3 x today and still have had no luck, until eventually i had the 15 dollar bent nozzle tube blow up in my face at 80 psi tryin to get it to f'ing seat. lucky to have both eyes! i guess my only choice now is to go to the shop with my rim in hand and tail between my legs. the ahole there will charge me 45 bucks for a pireli plus at least a half hour of labor plus another another 15 dollar tube. they refuse to do the labor unless they are allowed to over charge me on parts which is what makes em aholes in my book, but they got me bent over a barrel here :evil: .
1985 HONDA AERO
1986 HONDA SPREE
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

maxreverb wrote:Well i guess i'm going to have to give up on this one. i've brought 2 scooters back to life, but this tire thing is beyond me. i've taken the tire/ muffler on and off 3 x today and still have had no luck, until eventually i had the 15 dollar bent nozzle tube blow up in my face at 80 psi tryin to get it to f'ing seat. lucky to have both eyes! i guess my only choice now is to go to the shop with my rim in hand and tail between my legs. the ahole there will charge me 45 bucks for a pireli plus at least a half hour of labor plus another another 15 dollar tube. they refuse to do the labor unless they are allowed to over charge me on parts which is what makes em aholes in my book, but they got me bent over a barrel here :evil: .
80 PSI is too high to seat anything. A little WD-40 sprayed around the edges of the inside of the rim will help the tire to seat at a lower pressure or even some soap and water.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
maxreverb
Spree
Spree

Post by maxreverb »

yeah i figured that out the hard way but its a learning experience. I did indeed use tire lube and was going by what other ppl suggested but it didnt work out. Sometimes you eat the bar and sometimes it eats you.

Kinda funny story though, so I went back to the scooter shop with the rim and bought a new tire and had him put it on the rim. I told him i had blown one up and given up. he wanted me to leave the tire there and have me come pick it up later. i said hey cant you do it now please, since i was there when they opened and there wasnt any one else there. He agreed to do it but said that i would have to take a walk because he didnt want me to see working on it because that would make it harder. I said well i would like to have seen it done properly since i tried to learn and failed but if he would do it immediately i would leave him alone. He suggested that i could pay an extra ten dollars to watch him do it, but i declined. If i could do it over again i think i'd pay the extra ten and watch though because when i got back he was not happy because he had blown up 2 tubes before getting one in good, so that show prob woulda been worth ten bucks. he got me for 42 for the tire, 12 for the tube, and 20 to put it on the rim. he quoted me 15 but said it took 5 dollars longer to do. but i feel better about blowing up a tube if that guy blew up 2 and thats his job.

got my plate today, finally almost going to learn about the joys of scooting in stead of the pain in the neck stuff.

though if it aint one thing its the other, my front tire is flat now. Ugh. I cant afford to go through that again now not after reg. Can i put the front wheel from my 1986 spree on my 1985 aero? Does anyone know if the rims are interchangeable?
1985 HONDA AERO
1986 HONDA SPREE
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I'm pretty sure the Spree brake hub is different. See "So You Wanna Change Your Own Tires?" in Tech Docs. This ain't rocket science. Throw the tube in a plastic bag with some baby powder and Shake 'N Bake it awhile to keep it from sticking where it oughtn't.

PS: I had a bead-seating problem this weekend myself with - get this! - my Tubeless wheelbarrow tire. I managed to wiggle-jiggle it enough to get it seated with my Craftsman tire pump, a very low-volume device. Tubes are easier that way, but you have to check and re-check the rim area anal-retentively to keep a slip of tube from becoming trapped during inflation.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH