Hi everyone! Glad to find this site!

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

VegasScoot
Noob
Noob

Hi everyone! Glad to find this site!

Post by VegasScoot »

Hi everyone...My name is Tony. I spent a few hours reading up on a bunch of posts before I registered and I gotta tell ya, this site is great. Tons of info and talent in here. I just picked up a nearly new 2001 Elite SR50 with 1050 miles off of Craigslist here in Vegas, and I'm not sure what direction I want to go in. After reading some of these post, I realize that I have tons of options...or of course keep it stock (HMMMM....). I have been building bikes, stand-up racing scooters, classic cars, tons of motorized fun toys, welding, and maching most my life, but have never owned this type of scooter. I am quickly realizing this might be more fun than I originally thought. This 01 Elite looks like it came out of time capsule, is completely stock, and is absolutely pristene (I'll get some pics up soon). I have tons of projects in the mix right now, so I may just sell it. Somebody help me out with some good advice. Should I sell it, make a monster out of it, or keep it bone stock? Thanks in advance.
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Hi everyone! Glad to find this site!

Post by Trafficjamz »

VegasScoot wrote:Hi everyone...My name is Tony. I spent a few hours reading up on a bunch of posts before I registered and I gotta tell ya, this site is great. Tons of info and talent in here. I just picked up a nearly new 2001 Elite SR50 with 1050 miles off of Craigslist here in Vegas, and I'm not sure what direction I want to go in. After reading some of these post, I realize that I have tons of options...or of course keep it stock (HMMMM....). I have been building bikes, stand-up racing scooters, classic cars, tons of motorized fun toys, welding, and maching most my life, but have never owned this type of scooter. I am quickly realizing this might be more fun than I originally thought. This 01 Elite looks like it came out of time capsule, is completely stock, and is absolutely pristene (I'll get some pics up soon). I have tons of projects in the mix right now, so I may just sell it. Somebody help me out with some good advice. Should I sell it, make a monster out of it, or keep it bone stock? Thanks in advance.
Put a nice 72cc kit on it.
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
niftyman
Spree
Spree

Post by niftyman »

Build a drag bike and start a build thread makes for some great reading
DJ1

NEK MINNIT

Malossi
DJ1 54mph
dio gear swap in progress
living in chch NZ
earthquake central
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

niftyman wrote:Build a drag bike and start a build thread makes for some great reading
I quit drag racing in the late 70's because I got interested in boat racing. Why would I start doing drags again, even though there are 2 track within 25 miles of my house.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
niftyman
Spree
Spree

Post by niftyman »

* i wasnt talking to you did u start this thread NO
DJ1

NEK MINNIT

Malossi
DJ1 54mph
dio gear swap in progress
living in chch NZ
earthquake central
z50r-ghost
CB900F
CB900F

Post by z50r-ghost »

Hi Tony, good to have you here... :hi:

Nice bike; tons of go fast parts for your elite are available...
Spend the cash on the best parts first... Or you will end up spending the money again later! This hobby can become obsessive! Obsessive but fun!

Later, good luck with your build- j
.locked away in a cage my rage has got the best of me
time finds a way each day of leaving less of me behind.

>< Solitaire Unraveling ><
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U45NfWSX-Vk
...my life story

1990HONDANS50F
arnada
Goped
Goped

Post by arnada »

dont make a race bike out of a perfectly nice bike, buy a busted up bike if your gonna do that. should build a sleeper bike. quiet but fast and reliable. id start with a flush taillight, kelly pully, sef ramp(optional, the ramp in pully is not bad),zx driveface(no need for washer behind pully when using zx setup), koso weights, zx trans, zx belt(stock sym belt), 1500 center spring, yellow clutch springs, 7 to 1 gears, ct manifold, 28 carb w/@ 50 pilot/140/main jets, a 72 polini corsa, and a v8 pipe made for 72 cc's. check out my red and yellow elites in the pics thred(3rd page), the yellow one has a 72 setup, and the red one has 125 cc's and is louder than $#!+...lol.

zx trans youll need to grind down the high spots to clear belt(belt rides higher).
oh yea, dont need to get a zx setup right away, the stock s trans and belt will still work, but youd still need to change the center spring and clitch spring. should hit 60 mph to be conservative...and good luck!!!

everything is bolt on, no porting necessary, and dont forget to upgrade the tires!
Last edited by arnada on Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Welcome Tony. Wish I had your good fortune, but apparently I don't. Old scooters that need lots of work are about all I've come across in the last several years. But they have taught me alot so I'm glad about that, and if I were to ever find a "pristine" scooter like what you are describing, I'd probably keep it "pristine" as long as I could. Why don't you shoot us a pic or two and let's see if anyone thinks it should be otherwise? I have a very strong running stock elite that I love as much as my modified elite. It sure is as much fun fixing them as it is to ride them. You should know.Thanks and Happy Trails!
:peace:
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
VegasScoot
Noob
Noob

Post by VegasScoot »

bonesv wrote:Welcome Tony. Wish I had your good fortune, but apparently I don't. Old scooters that need lots of work are about all I've come across in the last several years. But they have taught me alot so I'm glad about that, and if I were to ever find a "pristine" scooter like what you are describing, I'd probably keep it "pristine" as long as I could. Why don't you shoot us a pic or two and let's see if anyone thinks it should be otherwise? I have a very strong running stock elite that I love as much as my modified elite. It sure is as much fun fixing them as it is to ride them. You should know.Thanks and Happy Trails!
:peace:
Wow...thanks for all the great info and advice. I have built some pretty incredible machines in my days for some very talented racers to run (I'll be 40 in December), and the one thing I believe truly believe in is that dependability should run parallel with performance. I like to build and ride with confidence, I am definitley not a racer. I will not be drag racing this scoot, and I wil not be riding wheelies until the cows come home. What I will be doing is riding this baby, and enjoying it. That being said, I would like a few of the hairs on the back of neck stand up once in a while (or at least on demand). I have built numerous scooters (stand-up) that have won 1st place trophies racing in world finals races with very simple, but bullet proof set-ups (big bore kits, carb, intakes, air cleaners,superior frames, throttle response, clutches, etc...). I think I want to turn this baby into a sleeper. Here's my game plan, let me know what you think. I'm gonna keep this realy simple...Kit 72cc contessa or corsa (unsure yet), bigger carb (Help with size would be great), UNI filter, new variator and clutch, nice mid range pipe... I'm not looking to go over 45-50 mph ( I have no need to)...I want really good low end and mid range to put a big fat smile on my face. I've read that I will need to run premix and plug the port (no problem). I'm just unsure of what brand to go with for all the needed goodies. Is Polini still good for big bore kits? Is PG the best pipe or ???, Keli or ???...HELP! Just tell me what is the best...that's what I want. I really don't have the time to research all this stuff. I need someone who is REALLY good with this to share their knowledge. I do NOT want to port cylinders or remove material from my cases. I want a dependabe scoot that has very nice power and great reliability. Thanks again guys...I really appreciate your help and experience.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

We stumbled upon the same deal, except Flash 3 had only 33 miles andi Waaayyy overpaid.
Under that frame have resided 2 different blocks with a total of 6 top end kits.
Cheap, fast, reliable. Pick any 2.

Pricey Corsa was my choice, eventually. Much more affordable Nikasil 49mm from DayWot on eBay is reliable but no neck hair erection.

Either way, OKO 26 is a better, more streetable choice than the popular 28mm. Treatland.tv has 'em all for $69.
PG Short seems as fast for a 72 as the Long, and perhaps a bit quieter. Consider retaining the stock airbox, opened up as necessary to fir the 50mm OKO carb bellmouth. .
For take-off power consider 8.44 ratio.

Read Flash 3, 4, and on to 3.26.

Welcome, and I look forward to some Pics, hint-hint.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
VegasScoot
Noob
Noob

Post by VegasScoot »

Very cool. Thank you for the good direction. I guess VT Cycles and Treatland seems to be the places for the goods huh? Is there any others I should check out? I forgot to mention about my seat. The ONLY thing that is damaged in any way is my seat. Looks as if someone tried to repair it, but definitley a novice and quite ugly repair. An suggestions for replacement seat covers besides stock Honda? Looking at an ugly seat on this perfect specimen keeps me up at night...Thanks again guys.
66SIX
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 66SIX »

VegasScoot wrote:Very cool. Thank you for the good direction. I guess VT Cycles and Treatland seems to be the places for the goods huh? Is there any others I should check out? I forgot to mention about my seat. The ONLY thing that is damaged in any way is my seat. Looks as if someone tried to repair it, but definitley a novice and quite ugly repair. An suggestions for replacement seat covers besides stock Honda? Looking at an ugly seat on this perfect specimen keeps me up at night...Thanks again guys.
Hey VegasScoot You might want to check out Quality Upholstery at 619 Main street , A little north of Main Street Station and on the same side
Ask for Alfredo he's usually the only one there , He's done 5 seats for me and cost anywhere from $50 to $80 but he's usually very fast and has it done when he says it will be done .
his number in Vegas is 702-474-7563 or 702-474-7506
Also if you want some custom fabrics there is a place on East Charleston Santa Barbara Upholstery supplys that have some really wild colors .
They are at 3319 E.Charleston 702-457-6100 then take the fabric to Alfredo and have him re-do your seat .here are some pics .
Attachments
100_6542.jpg
100_6542.jpg (73.81 KiB) Viewed 4719 times
100_1326.jpg
100_1326.jpg (61.98 KiB) Viewed 4719 times
100_1332.jpg
100_1332.jpg (55.06 KiB) Viewed 4719 times
66SIX
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 66SIX »

He does really good work .
Attachments
100_1364.jpg
100_1364.jpg (39.6 KiB) Viewed 4719 times
100_6130.jpg
100_6130.jpg (57.4 KiB) Viewed 4719 times
100_7875.jpg
100_7875.jpg (72.16 KiB) Viewed 4719 times
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

Welcome.

I use to live in Vegas but I am still close. About 2hrs north of vegas now.

Here is what I allways did for people in Vegas on the upgrade path. Start with a 47mm or 50mm kit and then do a gear ratio upgrade like 15*42 or 17*41 and then an aftermarket variater. This will haul * and you will look and sound stock. Once you add a bigger carb and performance muffler you will start to make the scoot very loud. I like loud but some people dont.

If you ever want to go ride let me know. Me and six will go ride with you but six wont be able to keep up. lol

Does your elite have the restricters on it? One is on the intake of the muffler and the other is a restrictor plate on the back of the variater.

Taz
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

Don't waste your time, just sell it to me :smile:

When can I come pick it up? :naughty:

...And welcome to the forum :hi: