Unintended foot pedal scooter :P

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Feral_Sparky
Goped
Goped

Unintended foot pedal scooter :P

Post by Feral_Sparky »

Been having issued with throttle cable breaking, the metal housing inside rusted out and broke so it would not slow down. So I took and clipped the throttle cable off from the splitter and used a nut and washer to the frame to tie the throttle cable down so I can still ride it... if unsafe due to wot all the time... so today I set it up to only give me a bit of throttle and not the crazy fast take off like it has been, and as im riding to get some food my foot hit's the cable and makes the bike go faster.... *? Cool!!!

So I readjusted it to idle when not touched, and as im riding it I can press on the cable lightly and it accelerates to top speed... so now im a semi safe rider again. :P

1987 Honda Elite SE50
SuprasNsprees
Elite
Elite

Re: Unintended foot pedal scooter :P

Post by SuprasNsprees »

i don't even know what to say

be careful , I guess
'86 Honda Spree : taz stage3 w/ mild porting, head milled 0.015", and pulley mod. 2k+ mies on kit
'80 Puch Magnum MKII
'78 Maxi Newport. Polini 64cc case matched, hi comp head, Rito alum crank, delorto 21mm race, etc.
'78 PA50 Hobbit
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

SuprasNsprees wrote:i don't even know what to say

be careful , I guess

I agree. that looks very dangerous :nervous:
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

like ww2 japanese Kamikaze pilots screem
bonsai
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Trafficjamz wrote:
SuprasNsprees wrote:i don't even know what to say

be careful , I guess

I agree. that looks very dangerous :nervous:
+2
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
motormike

Post by motormike »

swimmingfree wrote:like ww2 japanese Kamikaze pilots screem
bonsai
swimmingfree
kamikaze.jpg
kamikaze.jpg (9.42 KiB) Viewed 4090 times
....that pletty funny, glegg.....I laugh til pee on leg.... :hi:
RideRed
<(2)Gyro S><Helix><Sym Wolf>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

If you wanna die, you figured out how.... I hope you have a smile on your face just before the OH $H!T....
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
Feral_Sparky
Goped
Goped

Post by Feral_Sparky »

Its not staying that way for long and its a far cry to having to use the kill switch just to slow down which I have been having to do for the last week. And I dont have another mode of transport to work in the mean time.

So its either kill switch or this.. and I have alot more control with this then the kill switch.
1987 Honda Elite SE50
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Feral_Sparky wrote:Its not staying that way for long and its a far cry to having to use the kill switch just to slow down which I have been having to do for the last week. And I dont have another mode of transport to work in the mean time.

So its either kill switch or this.. and I have alot more control with this then the kill switch.
I would disagree with that assessment of the situation. This makes Rube Goldfarb contraptions look mechanically sound.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

It is not that bad. This is the same concept as when I used to use a 4020. Set the engine speed with throttle on the column, use the foot pedal for increases. When you hit a bump, you would lurch as your foot would bounce up and down on the pedal.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

motormike im sorry to here about how short things are :smile:
i drip on my toes lol lol :bowrofl:
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
Feral_Sparky
Goped
Goped

Post by Feral_Sparky »

Bear45-70 wrote:
Feral_Sparky wrote:Its not staying that way for long and its a far cry to having to use the kill switch just to slow down which I have been having to do for the last week. And I dont have another mode of transport to work in the mean time.

I would disagree with that assessment of the situation. This makes Rube Goldfarb contraptions look mechanically sound.
So having the bike launch forward every few seconds while I try to ride under top speed due to living in a residential zone is better then having more accurate and controllable speeds with my foot... if something happens with the kill switch, I might not remember to turn it off, if something happens with my foot all I have to do is move my foot and it stops the motor.

Not to mention that I have to ride at night, and using the kill switch means I have to turn off my bike at lights and it makes me harder to see. Or risk an accidental rush of power that I cant control and go flying out into the intersection while using the bike, I just keep my foot off the throttle and I just idle there.

So you decide. If you had to either use the kill switch to ride or a more controllable but technically unsafe foot controlled cable, what would you chose?

And if you say walk. Ill let you know that the route I take to work is on a 55mphroad with lights only till the freeway, and thats only 1/3 of the road.

I never said it was safe, but its far better to the alternative that I had been using to ride the bike. If it happens to you while your going to work and back, and you chose the killswitch method, then good luck with that, I prefer to come up with a safer alternative.
Last edited by Feral_Sparky on Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1987 Honda Elite SE50
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

Make sure to wear clean underwear when riding. lol

taz
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Feral_Sparky wrote:
Bear45-70 wrote:

So having the bike launch forward every few seconds while I try to ride under top speed due to living in a residential zone is better then having more accurate and controllable speeds with my foot... if something happens with the kill switch, I might not remember to turn it off, if something happens with my foot all I have to do is move my foot and it stops the motor.

Not to mention that I have to ride at night, and using the kill switch means I have to turn off my bike at lights and it makes me harder to see. Or risk an accidental rush of power that I cant control and go flying out into the intersection while using the bike, I just keep my foot off the throttle and I just idle there.

So you decide. If you had to either use the kill switch to ride or a more controllable but technically unsafe foot controlled cable, what would you chose?

And if you say walk. Ill let you know that the route I take to work is on a 55mphroad with lights only till the freeway, and thats only 1/3 of the road.

I never said it was safe, but its far better to the alternative that I had been using to ride the bike. If it happens to you while your going to work and back, and you chose the killswitch method, then good luck with that, I prefer to come up with a safer alternative.
You got it all wrong. Either fix it right or don't do something stupid like this. I would suspect if a cop sees you riding like this, you could very well be cited for unsafe vehicle or at least equipment.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

Get a Bicycle.
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts