Unintended foot pedal scooter :P

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Unintended foot pedal scooter :P

Post by swimmingfree »

i under stand some times we have to do what we have to do Feral_Sparky ..
i dont no what going on in your life but i no whats going on in most people life this time of year with xmax just around the corner and thing being ruff with money ..most of us have put off buying what we need so the kids cood get something for there big day.. but you shood of put up something up on here about needing a cable .. most guys sell thing cheep and some well give some thing away..
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
Feral_Sparky
Goped
Goped

Post by Feral_Sparky »

I woulda fixed it right... if the part that arrived had been the right one, but it wasnt. I am waiting for parts to arrive now. Its a bit hard to find parts for this old bike since I have to make the proper cable from scratch anyways with a new barrel end for the new brake line.

Im doing the best I can over here. If you can do better with what I have, then I would love to see you do it.

If you have access to every part for every bike you own, good for you, but I dont. I have to "WAIT" for parts to arrive to make it work. And unfortunatly it takes "TIME" to wait for the parts to arrive.

Ride a bike? I have no bike.. I have no money to buy a bike.. or else I would have bought the parts sooner.

Its not about Christmas being around the corner. Its that I make minimum wage and I get by paycheck to paycheck. I had to ride with the kill switch for 2 weeks just to save up the money to spend the cash on the new parts "Which will work" when they arrive.

I wouldn't do this if It was not my last ditch effort to keep the bike running. I literally have no other way to get it to run, the cable "SNAPPED" in half. my handlebar grip is useless at this point, and its either this or using vice grips on the cable "even more unsafe" to keep the gas flowing.

I just don't have any alternative until then. I seriously don't. Im not trying to show people "Hey look at what I did, you should do it to. If I saw someone doing it, I would implore them to find an alternative. But I simply don't have one.

At this point its not about fixing it right, its about having to wait to fix it right. Thankfully I ride mostly at night and cop's dont generally patrol the country roads that I ride to work. Which is the only place I ride it to at this point, I dont go to the store, or to the movies, etc with it, its only being used to go to work.

I took a bit of video to show how I have it setup, and maybe will put some minds to ease. Replacing the spark plug and rewiring the brake light , but I ride with the panels attatched minus the floor board so it looks good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh-UKCHOezE
1987 Honda Elite SE50
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I dunno, Dawg. Doesn't look any worse than the old Harley flatheads equipped with a foot clutch and hand-shifters. At least the "throttle" isn't On/Off with the kill switch - You have some measure of control of the output. Maybe fabricate a proper pedal and make this permanent? Nah, wait for your cable and install it when you can.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

martynkim wrote:Get a Bicycle.
+1
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

Looks like it works fine. Just keep the kill switch in mind in case the cable sticks.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
Mystic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Mystic »

DO what ya do man just make sure you wear a helmet. I used to walk to work 6 days a week, rain or snow night and day so I know whats up. It is safer than the killswitch :D
1986 Spree/ Eve af16 swapped 65cc Prodigy vari 8g 9:1 Ruima gears
21mm OKO 42/100 32:1 45mph kymco zx exhaust
1994 Elite S 17.5mm Arreche, Daytona reeds, SEF ramp, pump plugged :D
1987 Elite SE50 af16 swapped
1989 Elite E SB50p
2003 Yamaha Zuma
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

martynkim wrote:Get a Bicycle.
+1
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Feral_Sparky
Goped
Goped

Post by Feral_Sparky »

Mystic wrote:DO what ya do man just make sure you wear a helmet. I used to walk to work 6 days a week, rain or snow night and day so I know whats up. It is safer than the killswitch :D
Yeah if I walked to work every day, I would be doing 4 hours of walking per day. 2 there and 2 back. Dont know about some people but I do mixed shifts so some day's I might as well stay at work and not go home to sleep for the few hours I would get.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Tranq ... via=1&z=14
1987 Honda Elite SE50
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Feral_Sparky wrote:
Mystic wrote:DO what ya do man just make sure you wear a helmet. I used to walk to work 6 days a week, rain or snow night and day so I know whats up. It is safer than the killswitch :D
Yeah if I walked to work every day, I would be doing 4 hours of walking per day. 2 there and 2 back. Dont know about some people but I do mixed shifts so some day's I might as well stay at work and not go home to sleep for the few hours I would get.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Tranq ... via=1&z=14
I can see you laying in the morgue explaining to the Devil why you should go to heaven.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

I really am just saying this for concern for you. I don't know you or have ever met you, and I never will.

I used to be invinceable once too. When things don't work properly you just don't use them.

In plenty of cases in my years, I have done STUPID things. For instance, I used to have this old Toyota Celica 1976 (wish I had it now) It needed a water pump you know when you leak coolant out the bottom but it still works!

So, I just keep topping it off with water. This works just fine........

Until, the unexpected SNOW comes! Popped the freeze plugs!

So, the couple bucks I saved to take out the tail I was getting dumps me cause I don't have a ride to tote her princess * around in anymore.

This wasn't a life or death decision but, based on the stupidity of my decision I hope you can understand where I am coming from.

Walk, BORROW a bike BUM a ride from a coworker/ friend. But, park that scooter until it is completely safe!

Need a bike? In the Tampa area? http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/bik/2733952318.html

END OF RANT...............................
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

I once rigged up a Datsun truck with a hand throttle made from picture hanging wire, with a loop at the end to hold on to. Truck throttle cable had seized and we were 15 miles outside town with only what was laying around in the truck to fix it. Manual shift; tricky to drive but we made it back.

Point is, we didn't drive it any further than the guy's house. New part was picked up and we fixed it right.

Limping along is fine, but you'll eventually want to get that fixed right. Mostly b/c I'm concerned you'll get into a situation where the cable sticks at WOT and the bike becomes a handful.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
Feral_Sparky
Goped
Goped

Post by Feral_Sparky »

Ill admit that I do have a hard time taking criticism for the things I do. And I was going to make some stupid immature statement but after relaxing... which after last night at work was not easy to do >.< I remembered that everyone has there opinion on what other people do, and that's fine. I respect that.

So I appreciate the feedback and suggestions.

I remember last year when I had to zip tie my carb onto my bike for a week because the coil's holding it on stripped out. But they were the really thick cables and they held great. I used the screws to line it up as I tied it together. That happened coming back from my job training for the new job that I still have. Fell out on the side of the road, some biker rode up behind me and offered me thin bungee cords to hold it together till i got home.

Also a note, before I did this, my bike was stuck at wot. I was riding out to St. Pete Florida and once I got to the beach my cable became snagged inside the housing causing the cable to seize up at wot. Not the funnest time of my life riding back for 3 hours only able to do top speed all the time.
1987 Honda Elite SE50
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

martynkim wrote:Need a bike? In the Tampa area? http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/bik/2733952318.html
That pedal looks pretty dangerous! :smile:
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
Feral_Sparky
Goped
Goped

Post by Feral_Sparky »

evilone wrote:
martynkim wrote:Need a bike? In the Tampa area? http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/bik/2733952318.html
That pedal looks pretty dangerous! :smile:
I dont feel safe with that bike. To bad its to far away to pick up anyways :P
1987 Honda Elite SE50
Feral_Sparky
Goped
Goped

Post by Feral_Sparky »

Ok I got a small update and a good one. Part 1 of the cable came in today and this one fits, it has the threaded design that I have been looking for and it fits like a glove. Now I only have to wait for the solderless bullet end to arrive from the UK which might take a few extra day's. And this bad boy will be 100% fixed like new.

New cable may be a bit longer then expected so I might have to reroute the cable to make the size fit without modifying it any more then I already have to. But it works perfect.

Oh and after riding with the cable as it sits now. I have to say, if I could find a design of foot petal that could work, but maybe pointed in the right direction then it would be pretty cool to have a "Proper" foot gas pedal. Atleast for long distances or for just modding to have one. I have a couple idea's on how it would work, but still rough around the edges and could use work. But just idea's, no plans to make anything.
1987 Honda Elite SE50