registration in hawaii

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Spreetard
Elite
Elite

Re: registration in hawaii

Post by Spreetard »

Here in Michigan, it is really easy to register any kind of vehicle, but mopeds take the cake. A few hand written lines on a "bill of sale" gets you a $15 sticker good for three years, along with a one-time registration fee of $30.

:ndance: Just rubbing that in. I'll shut up now. :mrgreen:
Ol' Red
1987 Spree, 42mph on 49cc (gps)
Broken...
Spreeio
1987 Spree
With af16e powah!!!!
77cc Malossi Ministroker, 24mm oKo, 30mm V8 pipe.
Chinabike 3000! GY6 clone daily driver/ beater machine bought for $75!
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

Bear45-70 wrote:there is a 3 year wait for the title.
Do you know the reason for a three year wait? Probably the government just being the government?
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

evilone wrote:
Bear45-70 wrote:there is a 3 year wait for the title.
Do you know the reason for a three year wait? Probably the government just being the government?
Iowa is 3 years too. They say it is so the titled owner has sufficient time to claim the bike in case it was stolen or something.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

eliteguy50 wrote:
evilone wrote:Do you know the reason for a three year wait? Probably the government just being the government?
Iowa is 3 years too. They say it is so the titled owner has sufficient time to claim the bike in case it was stolen or something.
Ditto.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

Its faster if you and the owner go down to the dmv to get the title changed over or have the owner fill out the paperwork that says they lost the title and that they lost interest in the bike. They will need to get that paperwork notorized if not doing it at the dmv. No waiting for clearance on the title if doing it that way.
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
Dio89Elite
Elite
Elite

Post by Dio89Elite »

bsturgis wrote:hey everyone im from hawaii and i had a question....
i just bought an s and i never got papers but my friend said it was not stolen..... is there a way i can get the papers or check if its stolen.... and if its not stolen can i just get the papers? because they lost the papers... so where do i go to see if its stolen and if i can actually get it registered in my name.... thanks in advance guys
\
if you bought the S and didn't get papers from your friend, you should ask your 'friend' to go to the dmv with you to get duplicate registration/title.

if you're on Oahu, check to see which satellite city hall is nearest your location. If you're near waikiki/ mccully/ kaimuki area, the office that takes care of moped licensing is under the bridge across Market City (same general area for getting auto recon stickers). This is the place where they will issue your registration sticker right away, whereas if you go to the satellite city hall, it will be mailed to you.

Any satellite city hall will be able to tell you if your moped is stolen or not, and so will a visit to the police station.

If you go to the police station, and the moped is stolen, you'll forfeit your rights to the moped and the police will impound your moped and try to locate and return it to the registered owner.

I'd go to the DMV/ Satellite City Hall first. It depends on who is helping you since sometimes they actually will help and offer advice to let you know how to get papers for it. It will depend on your VIN. Sometimes certain VINs are incorrect and will not be able to be registered in Hawaii but you should be alright if it is an S.

If it hasn't been registered sometimes all you need is a completed bill of sale. Unsure if this needs to be notarized. Sometimes I've been given different answers depending on who I talk to and which satellite city hall I go to.

Yes, it's a headache sometimes which is why it's best to buy with papers. If someone said that is his and he just lost it, I'd ask to meet at the DMV/ Satellite City Hall so that you can get papers right away. This way you'll weed out the sellers that really did lose the papers and those that are just saying that.

Before a quick 911 call made it easy to check if the moped was stolen or not but I'm unsure of when that practice came to an end. Now they ask if you want an officer to come to you to verify or for you to stop by the nearest police station.

Okay. I hope this help a little.