side stand

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

iceman77
Elite
Elite

side stand

Post by iceman77 »

I have a side stand that i'm modifing to fit my elite. just curious what you guys do about the back wheel spinning when you first start your bike. mine spins so fast that if it was on the ground my bike would take off.

TJ
Mystic
CB900F
CB900F

Re: side stand

Post by Mystic »

turn down the idle :P
1986 Spree/ Eve af16 swapped 65cc Prodigy vari 8g 9:1 Ruima gears
21mm OKO 42/100 32:1 45mph kymco zx exhaust
1994 Elite S 17.5mm Arreche, Daytona reeds, SEF ramp, pump plugged :D
1987 Elite SE50 af16 swapped
1989 Elite E SB50p
2003 Yamaha Zuma
iceman77
Elite
Elite

Post by iceman77 »

Mystic wrote:turn down the idle :P
if i turn it down anymore than it doesn't run good. it only spins really fast till she warms up then it's good.

TJ
Mystic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Mystic »

move the needle clip 1 down then adjust the idle till the wheel starts to spin then turn back till it almost turns
1989 Elite E SB50p
2003 Yamaha Zuma
Dio89Elite
Elite
Elite

Post by Dio89Elite »

i agree with mystic, your idle is too fast and needs to be adjusted.
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

if its doing after a cold start,thats normal. it will do it to if the bike sits and cools down.
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
iceman77
Elite
Elite

Post by iceman77 »

bakaracer wrote:if its doing after a cold start,thats normal. it will do it to if the bike sits and cools down.

baka, you are correct. i didn't think the other two understood what i was saying.

TJ
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

if your planning on taking the center stand off and just use the sidestand, make sure you use the rear brake lock or just hold both brake levers so the bike doesnt roll away on the cold starts.
Thanks to my sponsors
90 honda dio sp 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
Dio89Elite
Elite
Elite

Post by Dio89Elite »

I would like to think that I understood the question. The problem is that the moped wants to start going right after start. The engine does start at a higher rpm when cold then should slow down when the engine gets to its normal operating temperature.
My first thought/ question was of a manual or electric choke, if it is working properly, etc. If the problem goes away after the engine warms up then that's alright, but that still doesn't solve his original problem of the moped/scooter trying to 'run away' right after starting.

Probable solutions that came to mind was:
start engine, with the brakes engaged, and either stand there (which feels more awkward) or just disengage the side stand and straddle the moped and still keep the brakes engaged. Depending on how hard your moped pulls, just the fact of the extra weight with you being on it will sometimes be enough to stop the forward movement.

If the problem does go away after the engine warms, then we just need to find out how to address the initial time frame before the engine warms up. Depending on your setup, your geographical location, and how you interpret your engine being sufficiently 'warmed up' are variables. This initial time shouldn't be more than just a few minutes at most.

IMO a properly tuned engine shouldn't have the back tire movement, not enough for it to move your moped off the kickstand but then again it's just my opinion. there's a lot of things that are subjective depending on perspectives and opinions. i was just trying to help by offering the best solution that i could find. it might fit for your application, it might not.

it's up to each individual to take each helping gem of wisdom to find how it applies to his/her own individual situation. all of us here are just trying to help, that is all. i'm looking for a side stand myself and wanted to see how this question would be answered...

bakaracer's last tidbit of a helpful suggestion is similar to my last tidbit (paragraph under probable solutions).
basically start, and hold on to the brakes until it warms up (but that still didn't fully solve the problem... which is why I had agreed with mystic with the retuning of your carb.

like many problems, there's more than one way to solve it, no one solution is best for everyone. See what works best for your particular situation.
Last edited by Dio89Elite on Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
iceman77
Elite
Elite

Post by iceman77 »

Dio89Elite wrote:no i understood the question, and i realize that it is normal. The problem is that the moped wants to start going right after start.
My first thought/ question was of a manual or electric choke. If the problem goes away after the engine warms up then that's alright, but that still doesn't solve his original problem of the moped/scooter trying to 'run away' right after starting.

Probable solutions that came to mind was:
start engine, with the brakes engaged, and either stand there (which feels more awkward) or just disengage the side stand and straddle the moped and still keep the brakes engaged. Depending on how hard your moped pulls, just the fact of the extra weight with you being on it will sometimes be enough to stop the forward movement.

If the problem does go away after the engine warms, then we just need to find out how to address the initial time frame before the engine warms up. Depending on your setup, your geographical location, and how you interpret your engine being sufficiently 'warmed up' are variables. This initial time shouldn't be more than just a few minutes at most.

IMO a properly tuned engine shouldn't have the back tire movement, not enough for it to move your moped off the kickstand but then again it's just my opinion. there's a lot of things that are subjective depending on perspectives and opinions. i was just trying to help by offering the best solution that i could find. it might fit for your application, it might not.

it's up to each individual to take each helping gem of wisdom to find how it applies to his/her own individual situation. all of us here are just trying to help, that is all. i'm looking for a side stand myself and wanted to see how this question would be answered...

sorry, i didn't mean to come off like a * or anything like that. I appriciate the help that everyone on this forum gives. that's why i asked the question here. i knew i could find a solution to the problem w/ the board's help.

it takes about 3 to 4 min for the bike to warm up. after she's warm the back wheel doesn't trun anymore.

TJ
Dio89Elite
Elite
Elite

Post by Dio89Elite »

my apologies too, which is why I edited my original text.
we're all just trying to help, I just hope that we would find a solution that would work for you.

i just believed there was a better solution then just having to hold your brakes for 3-4 minutes. :roll: <the rolling eyes is for me>
imo we're conditioned to accept quick fixes (nothing really wrong with this)
but i really am a strong believer in fixing it right the first time
and starting it and having to hold your brakes is unacceptable for me
but then, this is me (because i think it sucks to have to do that when you shouldn't)
yes, i am particular about certain things.

you'll just have to figure out what is acceptable to you
and i hope with this helpful forum, we'll be able to provide you with enough solutions or ideas that would hopefully help you.

~L
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

My honda has a brake lock on the bars. For yamaha, I use a velcro strap, like the kind used for keeping the extension cords organized. Make sure your grabber springs are not weak. You could also use a higher rpm set if you are worried about clutch wear with using the brake.

IMO, retuning the carb for cold starts is not an advisable option. How much time do you spend in low throttle situations verse warming up? How do you know (before seizing the engine) that you are not running too lean? ...
Last edited by eliteguy50 on Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

if guys are using stock clutch shoe springs, it doesnt take much more rpms to turn the tire. when its warming up,the rpms are around 2800 so not much engagement but its enough for the tire to spin when off the ground. for the guys that have 1k or more stiffer shoe springs, it doesnt do that. the warm up time will vari due to air temp. the colder it is the longer it will stay at a higher idle with the stock carb. aftermarket carbs its till the bowl fills up as fuel will evaporate out overnight.
Thanks to my sponsors
90 honda dio sp 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
Dio89Elite
Elite
Elite

Post by Dio89Elite »

i like the idea of a brake lock. a simple velcro strap could do it.
the higher rpm springs would be a better recourse than a carb retune.

One or both of these should solve your current situation.
Mystic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Mystic »

I guess since I dont have a centerstand I never had this problem. My stock motor doesnt rev up enough to start rolling on its own either even on a cold start
1989 Elite E SB50p
2003 Yamaha Zuma