Criagslist...

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

SpreeGuy 123
BMX
BMX

Criagslist...

Post by SpreeGuy 123 »

Okay so is it me or is every single motorcycle on Craigslist overpriced????

I always see reasonable deals on scooters like the spree, but when it comes to older motorcycles it is just ridiculous. I am currently looking for an older cruiser late 70's mid 80's for commuting, nothing over 400cc. I have been looking into enduro's as well, but the one that seems to be the most overpriced is those darn Honda CB's. I see them W/O titles and old and rusty some apart for more then $2,000 :surprise:

Now does the KBB value not have any worth, because I remember when people used that as a starting point and it was always brought up in a negotiation. Anyways the KBB value on most of these CB's is around $700-$1000 and I see listings more then $600 past these KBB values...

Whats the deal?
86' Honda Spree (stock)
donut
Elite
Elite

Re: Criagslist...

Post by donut »

amen
I have a friend seeking a good used cruiser 450-650cc (eg magna, maxima, virago, etc) but the prices are just silly.

murphy's law as I sold my pristine '82 Yamaha Virago (2200 miles) last summer for $1350.
this year it might have sold for $1800 quickly with all the other posts to compare....
'86 Aero 50 (NB50)

'01 Yamaha Jog Nextzone
SpreeGuy 123
BMX
BMX

Post by SpreeGuy 123 »

donut wrote: murphy's law as I sold my pristine '82 Yamaha Virago (2200 miles) last summer for $1350.
this year it might have sold for $1800 quickly with all the other posts to compare....
I think that is the problem though. People go to see what their bike is selling for and think, "mine is much better then theirs" so they jack the price up an extra hundred bucks, and so you get a loop/cycle were people keep raising their prices.

Am I the only one here that thinks you would be crazy to pay more then the Blue Book value for something? Unless it is "collectors condition" (aka never driven) of course...
86' Honda Spree (stock)
motormike

Post by motormike »

There was a time when KBB and NADA price guide values were totally inflated. Bikes used to be worth $1 per cc. Very elementary SpreeGuy 123...the demand for bikes has increased exponentially and prices are rising. The Kbb values are not reflective of the market as it is currently, and by the time the KBB catches up, the market will change again. Supply of vintage bikes is getting smaller with every sale.... :wink:
RideRed
<(2)Gyro S><Helix><Sym Wolf>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
donut
Elite
Elite

Post by donut »

SpreeGuy 123 wrote:
donut wrote: murphy's law as I sold my pristine '82 Yamaha Virago (2200 miles) last summer for $1350.
I think that is the problem though. People go to see what their bike is selling for and think, "mine is much better then theirs" so they jack the price up an extra hundred bucks, and so you get a loop/cycle were people keep raising their prices.

Am I the only one here that thinks you would be crazy to pay more then the Blue Book value for something? Unless it is "collectors condition" (aka never driven) of course...

fair enough, but the comparable bikes I'm seeing the last month or so are in fair condition at best with 20k on em... $2k+
I just hope buyers of the 70's, 80's and even 90's bikes are looking into the availability of parts for their specific model...
'86 Aero 50 (NB50)

'01 Yamaha Jog Nextzone