question on buying a spree

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

hurlburtjoa
Noob
Noob

question on buying a spree

Post by hurlburtjoa »

Ive never owned a spree before, but i am very impatient to get one. After reading all the discussion/mod's on this website i cant wait to get one. However ive found an 86' in descent shape with about 3000 miles on it, it runs pretty good, any input on what i should offer for it?? I really dont know what these are worth/ if im getting ripped or not. Any suggestions will be appreciated. thanks.
indetrucks
Goped
Goped

Re: question on buying a spree

Post by indetrucks »

hurlburtjoa wrote:Ive never owned a spree before, but i am very impatient to get one. After reading all the discussion/mod's on this website i cant wait to get one. However ive found an 86' in descent shape with about 3000 miles on it, it runs pretty good, any input on what i should offer for it?? I really dont know what these are worth/ if im getting ripped or not. Any suggestions will be appreciated. thanks.
I personally would pay between $200 - $500 for what you described.
Something showroom, obviously a bit more.
-Christian
hurlburtjoa
Noob
Noob

Post by hurlburtjoa »

Ok. Thanks. Is that average for the amount of miles? Ill let you know what I end up doing. Thanks again for the response.
donut
Elite
Elite

Post by donut »

Decent/3000 miles - $300
'86 Aero 50 (NB50)

'01 Yamaha Jog Nextzone
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

it depends on were you live in hawaii there the price of gold!!!!!
here 200 is cheep for a good one ...
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
hurlburtjoa
Noob
Noob

Post by hurlburtjoa »

Yea Im going to look at it in person, I believe it runs good, maybe needs a carb cleaning. Anything specific I should look for in these?
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

one thing you shood no that spree will not do over 30 stock and are not the best ones to midafide to make speed...
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

hurlburtjoa
Noob
Noob

Post by hurlburtjoa »

Ya well the Tomos mopeds go about the same speed. They just seem over priced.
donut
Elite
Elite

Post by donut »

hurlburtjoa wrote:Ya well the Tomos mopeds go about the same speed. They just seem over priced.

Scooby Doo, "Hue, ugh??"
'86 Aero 50 (NB50)

'01 Yamaha Jog Nextzone
hurlburtjoa
Noob
Noob

Post by hurlburtjoa »

One other ?, would I be able to ride my gf around on it for shorter rides? I weigh about 175 and she's about 115?
donut
Elite
Elite

Post by donut »

hurlburtjoa wrote:One other ?, would I be able to ride my gf around on it for shorter rides? I weigh about 175 and she's about 115?

Ahhhh
I would also steer you to consider a Honda Elite/Aero (JMO)...

oops missed the 2 up requirement...thought she was on the moped...
non honda, but a Kymco People 50 (cc unrestricted/upgraded & buddy seat) might be a consideration...
If you find a 2 stroke model with the above for less than $900, grab it and you will be quite happy.
Last edited by donut on Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'86 Aero 50 (NB50)

'01 Yamaha Jog Nextzone
indetrucks
Goped
Goped

Post by indetrucks »

What others have said...
Spree's are UBER slow. Mine is a pit bike only and to be honest, wouldn't feel safe on any city streets with speed limits over 25mph.
They truly only do 30mph stock (and take a looooong time to get there). So you won't be splitting traffic to get to the front at a red light. If you do, you better get your Flinstone feet out for a good jump start :lol:

They are rated at 185lbs... riding 2-up is not a good idea on the street. Might want to ask "Bear" here on the forum. He has one and weighs about what you and your GF weigh combined. By the sounds of it, he may not even ride his anymore.

I rode my buddies Honda Aero and it's significantly quicker (40-45 I think). Doesn't seem like a lot more, but at these slow speeds... it is :)

Also to repeat what was already said.. mods are far and few between for the spree...nothing that is going to drastically improve the speed up to the Aero's level.
-Christian
Dio89Elite
Elite
Elite

Post by Dio89Elite »

If you're planning to do two up riding with your gf quite often,
IMO get something else. The Honda Aero, or even a Honda Elite S (although the S also wasn't designed for two up riding, with a few simple modifications it'll have enough oomph to get you (and gf on occasions) to your destination.

Take in consideration what kind of speeds you want to attain. 30mph? 35mph? 40mph?
and the kinds of roads thaat you'll be traveling. back roads? city street driving?

In my location, you'll get cited and even ticketed if you're caught riding with a passenger since a moped is designed to be ridden without a passenger, so take your county/ city ordinances and laws into consideration as well.
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

the spree is a small scooter as will im 5.6 and to ride im sitting on the back of the seat... if i don't ride like this im sucking on my needs .... two people on a spree is a bad move the tack off os slow and wood be hard to do and be hard on the shock ...
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

hurlburtjoa
Noob
Noob

Post by hurlburtjoa »

well went to look at it and i think some * on here saw my posting and went and bought it before i got there. some luis from meriden. thanks a lot.