Official NS50F thread

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

lowburb
Noob
Noob

Re: Does anyone else own a Honda NS 50?

Post by lowburb »

Wow! The bike looks great!!
z50r-ghost
CB900F
CB900F

Post by z50r-ghost »

Thx for all your compliments, guys... !

I swear Mike, I love your posts dude- you have a way of posting that always makes me smile- :smile:

Keep in mind that this build started over **a year and a half ago,** when I bought the NS from board member Mookie. Ever since I brought my NS home, I've been working on it a little bit every night since.
-That road trip to get the NS almost killed my wifey and I, literally... We drove to Alabama in a blizzard / ice storm, averaged 40 mph on the interstate, and missed being hit by a semi by a matter of feet.
-Mookie had ditched the tank, rear fairings, fenders, under fender etc. and had made a Super Motard out of the NS. He still had the stock parts, but everything was pretty trashed. I did not buy the Motard plastics, because i knew everything would be going back to stock-spec.

I think I remember Mookie saying *HE* originally paid $60 (sixty) for the NS. (should give you an idea of the original condition as I got it)

Mike, you hit the nail on the head... As SO many people hate the stock NS graphics and trim-scheme; I absolutely love the graphics!! :love:
**-Only Honda could put pink and melon colored graphics on a little 50cc, and pull it off.**
I remember the first time I saw an NS (I was probably 14 / I'm 32 now), and knew I had to have one. My first thought was "it's a little 2 stroke!!"
-I've heard the graphics being called everything from "girl" graphics, "Malibu barbie" colors, "hideous," and on and on... I like to call the graphics "Miami Vice" colors.

After searching for around a year, I finally found a NOS stock tank. My rear fairings had to be sanded, filled, primed and painted / clear coated. Special graphics are being made right now.

I have taken the Honda 1990's "pink" scheme and ran with it. I've collected a small batch of billet aluminum parts that will be going out this week to be anodized "NS" Pink. -Nothing big, just some "accent" parts that will only be seen when up close.

Zenak, those other paint schemes you have seen on the net are in fact Japanese spec NS50F's and NS50R's. Yep, you are correct, the main differences are the color scheme, the 3-spoke wheels and the disk brake up front. Another difference is the Japanese NS50F's and NS50R's have a factory tachometer alongside the speedo.

Mike, I really, really like your idea about using a CEV headlight bucket with integrated "hole" for an analog tachometer!! That would look great, man! Most definitely keep us posted if you choose to go that route! :2thumbs:

As for the graphics on our US spec NS50F's... I think that this was the most-hated part of the NS50F's trim... Not many people liked the 80's - script "LIQUID COOLED" on the sides.
The majority of NS50F's still around today have these side decals removed- :(

I'll look around for a set of rear decals, but I am thinking that they are long gone...

I have fully restored quite a few Honda "minis" but my NS50F has by FAR been the hardest to source factory parts for (and also my favorite). :love:
The main problem is the NS was only imported for one year, so not many parts made it over, although a lot of NS's were sold.

As for your Castor-fume filled ride thru Music City, Mike... I would love to! Hopefully later in the summer I will have some more free time, and we could meet up in Nashville. That would be so much fun!! :smile: :peace: :peace:

Feel free to email me directly anytime guys if you ever need help. TE37scag@aol.com

Talk to you "NS - heads" soon,
-j
.locked away in a cage my rage has got the best of me
time finds a way each day of leaving less of me behind.

>< Solitaire Unraveling ><
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U45NfWSX-Vk
...my life story

1990HONDANS50F
Zenak
BMX
BMX

Post by Zenak »

can some one reprint the graphics? with the specs. i thought i saw a site where you can get the graphics and warning stickers.. i have the graphics on the lower cowl thats pretty scratched...haven't seen too many with the graphics much less the lower cowl...do you have extra plastics you wanna get rid of? also i have a dent in my tank, has anyone ever used compressed air to try and "pop" a dent on a tank?
z50r-ghost
CB900F
CB900F

Post by z50r-ghost »

Zenak,

-when it comes to repro Honda graphics, one of the best resources is www.atc70decals.com -give the site a look, then shoot them an email about reproducing the graphics you would like. The owner does a freaking awesome job... amazing work. Be sure to email him a picture of your NS and the decals, to give him an initial idea of what you will be wanting reproduced. From there, dimensions will need to be discussed. -A lot of my buddys have used atc70decals.com, and he wont disappoint you. I have ordered quite a few "warning" decals he makes...

unfortunately dude, i do not have any NS spare plastics. :( if ever I run across any, I will most definitely pick them up.

I personally have not tried to pop a tank dent with air, but I have seen it done... My original tank was waaay too crushed in to pop out; it took welding the dent, pulling it out, then filling in the smaller dents. My original tank does not have the "NS Honda" decals, but it is color-matched "Ross White."

...I have seen automotive "dent surgeons" push-press out dents in motorcycle fuel tanks. It all depends on the dent location, fuel-fill hole in fuel tank, and how high the arch in the bottom of the fuel tank is, in relation to dent location. Sometimes, those guys can work a miracle!

later, jon :happy:

...my life story

1990HONDANS50F
Mystic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Mystic »

Found my NS too bad I dont have the cash to go to Nashville AND buy it lol plus it is in pretty bad shape missing stuff but hey 400 isnt too bad if it runs etc.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/mcy/3017725165.html
1986 Spree/ Eve af16 swapped 65cc Prodigy vari 8g 9:1 Ruima gears
21mm OKO 42/100 32:1 45mph kymco zx exhaust
1994 Elite S 17.5mm Arreche, Daytona reeds, SEF ramp, pump plugged :D
1987 Elite SE50 af16 swapped
1989 Elite E SB50p
2003 Yamaha Zuma
z50r-ghost
CB900F
CB900F

Post by z50r-ghost »

Awesome find, Mystic... You literally hit GOLD!! (wheels; worth 400$ easily!)

Incredible... a 400$ NS50. -immediately notice the Kawasaki AR50 / AR80 alloy wheels, front disk conversion; this alone is worth the $400 asking price!

If I was in Nashville, this little guy would already be in my garage! :smile:

(but I'm 4 hrs away, and I wouldn't want my bike to get jealous... :wink: )

Then again, my wife would be a good candidate to restore this one with a little help!
Hmmmm...

Later, j

...my life story

1990HONDANS50F
motormike

Post by motormike »

Thanx Mystic for the vigilant service you provide...scanning Craigslist for awesome deals and posting links... :thumbwink:
.....and Thanx z50r-ghost for the call to alert me. Seems that karma is smiling on me today. I have talked with the seller and arranged to complete the deal this evening. This bike was used for WERA road-racing and both father and son have advanced to the upper classes. Karma even went so far as to deny a "looker" last night who wanted to buy and teach his little boy how to ride. The seller advised he move on and find a Z 50 instead...thank you very much. Updates to follow tonight..... :urban:
RideRed
<(2)Gyro S><Helix><Sym Wolf>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
z50r-ghost
CB900F
CB900F

Post by z50r-ghost »

WOW! Now THAT is some killer news, Mr. Motormike!
:mrgreen: I'm happy for ya dude! I figured it was a past-life road racer... The wheels say it all.

Looks like someone will be sporting a new set of wheels and a super-stopper up front! I looked at the pic again and the complete AR50 Front end has been swapped... Looks great!

Always glad to help, bro- :wink:

Please keep us posted! -j

...my life story

1990HONDANS50F
Dio89Elite
Elite
Elite

Post by Dio89Elite »

:shock: uhm. uh. like. :surprise: W.O.W!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :!:
z50r-ghost, That is some awesome restoration/ build !!! :worship:
Photos made me drool... :love:

and MotorMike... karma comes to those that deserve it ;)
well that's :imo: of course. :) :thumbwink:
besides... I'm a sucker for happy endings... :mrgreen: *wipes away tear from corner of eye* :woot:
We'll be wanting updates on your build as well. thank you very much, kind sir :thumbsup:
motormike

Post by motormike »

I keep looking for the "LIKE" button... :crazy:
Hard to say HOW this will all play out. The only sure thing is that my NS 50 will be looking and riding much better in the end.
RideRed
Mystic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Mystic »

:D I figured you werent paying attention motormike since it was still up after a few hours. Always looking out for good deals. I so would have bought it if I lived closed to nashville or even a suitable truck but alas....maybe I can talk you out of it once you swap all the goodies :D
1986 Spree/ Eve af16 swapped 65cc Prodigy vari 8g 9:1 Ruima gears
21mm OKO 42/100 32:1 45mph kymco zx exhaust
1994 Elite S 17.5mm Arreche, Daytona reeds, SEF ramp, pump plugged :D
1987 Elite SE50 af16 swapped
1989 Elite E SB50p
2003 Yamaha Zuma
motormike

Post by motormike »

...technical difficulties, please stand by... :smile:
I typed a bunch and lost it. Now switching to list format.
a. Tires are new Bridgestone Battle-Axe (sp) 90/90 X 18
b. Fork is AR 80
c. Wheels are AR 80--18"---Magnesium... :woot:
d. Swingarm is AR 80 AND is properly narrowed to fit NS frame
e. Piston just installed with thinner head gasket,...P.O. claims maybe 8 hp.
f. P.O. says jets are rich to avoid detonation of cylinder/piston and carb is modified
RideRed
z50r-ghost
CB900F
CB900F

Post by z50r-ghost »

Thats awesome, bro! Thanks for the update-

-I didnt know the AR80 wheels were 18's; I was thinking they were 17's.
-I did know they were Enkei (brand) mags... Those are some hot freaking wheels!

Most guys that race the NS swap out the 3-layer head gasket for the 2004 NSR "Mini Racer" single layer version.

When you get some time, motormike- please post us up some pics so we can :shock: :shock: :shock: at your 'new' castor-burning racer.

Later man, j

...my life story

1990HONDANS50F
Zenak
BMX
BMX

Post by Zenak »

wow nice looking wheels. where do you get some like that?

4 hours is nothin to drive z50r-ghost. wish i lived near all kinds of cool cheep parts...the lower 48 is like japan for bikes :lol: i was wowed when i found mine and my elite. there's a lot of those cheep Chinese ones new and not cheep. good find.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

i was just hoping for some new update pics and bamm hit page 13 and you did not disappoint! :rock:

your ns is coming along very very nicely man, love the round headlight and gauge setup looks way better

mad props yo :2thumbs:
projects galore :nerd: