Gyro - general thread

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

gyromaniac
Spree
Spree

Re: Gyro - general thread

Post by gyromaniac »

My gyro has stopped sparking. I took the headlight out and the check oil light out. I am 99.99% positive that i hooked them up right. are there any other possibilities?
wentwest
Spree
Spree

Post by wentwest »

Sometimes the spark plug cap loses contact with the wire. Take the cap off the wire (it unscrews) and see if it is seating right.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Gyromanic has been working on 84 NN50 stickers. Thanks to gyromaniac and ajgreear for recent work :thumbsup:

Postings are moved to his sticker thread gyro sticker development

-- Photos --
Been awhile since members posted pics of their rides. We have many new Gyro fans - post pics as fall sets in with its photo opportunities.
gyromaniac
Spree
Spree

Post by gyromaniac »

Hope to post some photos in the next couple days. But in the meantime i need help once again. This is starting to become a reaccuring thing now. So my gyro isnt sparking now. So i figured it was the coil. Got a High Performance one from a man in hawaii, to be honest im really impressed with the quality and shipping was fast but anyways, still nothing. Im thinking its the cdi or rectifier now. Or maybe somethibg in the headlight. Any suggestions?
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

...or rectifier now. Or maybe somethibg in the headlight. Any suggestions?
You can skip over the headlight and rectifier, your ignition is independent from those components.

With several Gyros around, do the easy stuff -
  • Swap in a known good CDI
  • Run resistance check on the stator spark exciter coil and spark trigger coils.
  • Make sure the run/stop switch and ignition On/Off wiring is not 'stuck low' (shorted to ground).
  • Aftermarket coil/cap is probably ok, but you could swap an OEM into yours, or try the aftermarket coil into another Gyro to be sure.
gyromaniac
Spree
Spree

Post by gyromaniac »

Easier said then done with the cdi. i pretty much hav to order one. i thought the rectifier could be it because thats what tells the cdi to fire the igition coil.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Easier said then done with the cdi. i pretty much hav to order one.
Ok - Run resistance checks in the Service Manual before buying anything... Parts swap is just a time saver.
i thought the rectifier could be it because thats what tells the cdi to fire the igition coil.
<shurg> rectifier is no where to be found in the ignition diagram (this is an Aero50, but your Gyro Service Manual will show similar connection) Coil labeld "Pulse Generator" is what triggers the spark. Its the smallest coil on the stator.
GenericHondaScooterIgnition.JPG
GenericHondaScooterIgnition.JPG (26.27 KiB) Viewed 6383 times
gyromaniac
Spree
Spree

Post by gyromaniac »

where is the pulse generator on a gyro?
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

gyromaniac wrote:where is the pulse generator on a gyro?
mousewheels wrote:...Coil labeled "Pulse Generator" is what triggers the spark. Its the smallest coil on the stator.
GyroStator_PulseTriggerCoil.jpg
GyroStator_PulseTriggerCoil.jpg (65.01 KiB) Viewed 6365 times
wentwest
Spree
Spree

Post by wentwest »

I found a Gyro about a year ago, and took it home to bring it back to life. It was mostly there but the engine was seized and the whole machine was covered in rotting leaves, sitting out under a tree in California for 10 years. So, lots of work and a bunch of parts and I got it together enough to start, but after a few very poor runs it had no more compression. Probably the only thing holding compression at all was the crud in the cylinder. So I got it bored out to hold a 44mm piston from Taz, and today I put it together with a thicker base gasket, and an enlarged head gasket. And it started on the very first crank! So I'm just happy today.

More later.
gyromaniac
Spree
Spree

Post by gyromaniac »

cant wait to here more about your gyro! little update on my gyro. I took out the cdi and had it tested by my local honda shop. They told me everything was fine and that they had hooked it up to their gyro and it started right up. Im a little confused as what to do now. Everything works but im still getting no spark.
gyromaniac
Spree
Spree

Post by gyromaniac »

GOOD NEWS! got the gyro running. what was wrong was the coil was hooked up wrong. stupid mistake on my part but i would rather it be a stupid mistake like that rather than be something serious like the stator going bad.
wentwest
Spree
Spree

Post by wentwest »

Hey, if it wasn't for stupid mistakes, there wouldn't be any mistakes at all.

My gyro runs, but it still isn't right. It shifts into high gear way too soon, bogs downs and takes forever to get up to speed. I'm thinking the springs on the centrifugal clutch for high range are weak (or one is broken), so at some point I'm going in to the transmission to look around.

At this point its pretty messy looking, and until I get the mechanical things squared away I don't plan on any cosmetic work. The rear fenders are painted with a thick layer of black paint, and I can't figure out how to get it off without tearing up the plastic. Any ideas? I tried heat, but the plastic gets soft and I don't want to warp it.
gyromaniac
Spree
Spree

Post by gyromaniac »

wentwest wrote:Hey, if it wasn't for stupid mistakes, there wouldn't be any mistakes at all.

My gyro runs, but it still isn't right. It shifts into high gear way too soon, bogs downs and takes forever to get up to speed. I'm thinking the springs on the centrifugal clutch for high range are weak (or one is broken), so at some point I'm going in to the transmission to look around.

At this point its pretty messy looking, and until I get the mechanical things squared away I don't plan on any cosmetic work. The rear fenders are painted with a thick layer of black paint, and I can't figure out how to get it off without tearing up the plastic. Any ideas? I tried heat, but the plastic gets soft and I don't want to warp it.
I have had good luck with sanding it down with some rough sand paper just to oopen up the paint a little then use some paint thinner. you could maybe tried goof-off. another little trick i heard of is using cooking top cleaner but I don't know what kind of effect this would have on plastic.
ajgreear
BMX
BMX

Post by ajgreear »

finally got mine back together. so here is the official first pic. 1984, titled, 584 miles when i bought it. tank was a little rusty, so we derusted it, lined it, cleaned the carb, new gaskets. i did put a spree basket on the back, this bike will be my shops official parts getter.
IMG_1851.jpg
IMG_1851.jpg (167.43 KiB) Viewed 6292 times