Gyro - general thread

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Gyro - general thread

Post by eliteguy50 »

Welcome to HondaSpree.net AJ. It looks great.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
ctkiteboarding
Noob
Noob

Post by ctkiteboarding »

Just a quick hello ,
"new" but old nn50 gyro owner here , i had a red one for years that we used in the pits at the track ,it was theeee best little scooter and i have always looked for another, sooooo i found one with 1000 miles and paid to much for it lolol ,but its home and needs a few things , any help would be great.
first the key lock assembly for the seat is missing , any ideas where this can be had? also what are the oem tires sizes ( front and rear) i think the front has the incorrect tire currently.
thx in advance
motormike

Post by motormike »

Front=2.75 X 10
Rear=3.00 X 8
The rears are reported to be available from Motorcycle Superstore. (FREE shipping over $89 ?)
Search for Bridgestone Hoops. Those may be the only choice left on the market, but good... :thumbwink:
The front is extremely common.
The '84 is a nifty little scoot, but the '85-'86 is....
BOSS ! !
Attachments
Gyro photo.jpg
Gyro photo.jpg (27.1 KiB) Viewed 6123 times
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
ctkiteboarding
Noob
Noob

Post by ctkiteboarding »

thanks mike..... concerning the hoops , wouldnt a flatter profile tire be better then the rounded hoops?
ctkiteboarding
Noob
Noob

Post by ctkiteboarding »

also anyone have full plastics in red they might want to sell or trade? this one has blue and i prefer the red thx
motormike

Post by motormike »

ctkiteboarding wrote:thanks mike..... concerning the hoops , wouldnt a flatter profile tire be better then the rounded hoops?
Not in my opinion, but the problem is finding ANY other 8 inch tire in 3.00... :hi:
I may be wrong since my search for 3.00 X 8's was more than a year ago, but I never found any others.
RideRed
ctkiteboarding
Noob
Noob

Post by ctkiteboarding »

gotcha thx mike
wentwest
Spree
Spree

Post by wentwest »

Finally got the old Gyro running pretty well. I had to open up the main jet a little, to .85, with the overbored cylinder and 44mm piston I got from Taz. Now it starts right up, and runs pretty well. Unfortunately, I live up a long, steep hill in California, and getting up here is a challenge for the little guy, with my fat a** planted in the seat. On reasonably level ground it'll get up to 30 or so, and it's a grin the whole time. Clearly the weirdest vehicle in the neighborhood.

Now to clean up the rear fender. I have a carb cover, but no seat back, of course. Has anyone built something that looks decent?
motormike

Post by motormike »

http://nashville.craigslist.org/mcy/3438702815.html

The above link to a '86 gyro in KY.
Missing carb cover, battery cover, broken trim at mid-frame, and wrong handlebar
for $900. Link will go away soon, so I'm just recapping for future comparison for buyers/sellers.
My honest opinion is worth $600 as is. Tires are new, seat okay :wink:
RideRed
gyromaniac
Spree
Spree

Post by gyromaniac »

Anyone here been doing any riding? I know the weather here in Indiana has been pretty terrible recently.
swflcarl
Spree
Spree

Post by swflcarl »

Working on a non-running Gyro for $100. You know if its still available - it will be in my garage for a winter project.

Just got the 50 cc oil burning bug recently - and have three Honda's in the garage that all came back to life quickly.
I'm more than happy to explain it to you. I'll even draw you a picture! But I can't understand it for you.

'86 Spree - Gone
'86 Spree - Gone
'85 Aero 50 - Gone
'94 Elite SR - Gone
'96 Elite SR - Gone
'01 Elite S
'85 Gyro - Its Alive
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

FYI - Couple rare parts for Gyro fans on eBay, pricey, but don't often come up. I have no association or dealings with the sellers. No plans to be in on the auctions...

1985/86 Battery Cover (Seat cover) $100, $10 ship
221169156318 $100, $10 ship

1984 Gyro Carb Cover Blue $110 free ship

1984 Gyro Carb Cover Red $100 free ship

1984 Gyro wheel cap $20 free ship
MrSmith
Noob
Noob

Post by MrSmith »

Hello, I'm new here, signed up for the Gyro talk. I helped my scooter club fix up a 1986 as the raffle bike for the 2012 High Desert Scooterist's rally.

And then I won it.

It had sat forever in my friend's garage, was missing most of the plastics and while doing our quickie restocustomization, it seemed like everything was broken or bad and needed replaced. When we finally had it running the day before the rally we called it good. It wasn't running great and it would die after being ridden for a bit but a running scooter is better than a not running scooter. And at least it had a cool seat on it.

After I got it home I went ahead with troubleshooting why it wouldn't stay running. I thought I had given the carb a proper cleaning but I went ahead and did it again. I cleaned the carb about four more times and I finally cleared out that teeeeeeeeeeny little hole that's pretending to be a pilot jet and drilled out the main jet. It finally ran properly and I rode it for about 20 minutes before deciding it was too slow and I should do something about that.

I took the Dremel to the cylinder, grinding and smoothing things out. I raised, ported and polished the exhaust port. I bored out the intake and matched it to the reed block and just recently bought a Spree piston and rings off ebay, I believe from Taz here... Threw it back together just before Xmas and she fired right up, just in time for a huge dump of snow.

Future plans: I'll likely upgrade the carb to something I can fiddle with easier. Build some kind of header tube to weld an expansion chamber to. I've ordered some fat wheels & the LT80 wheel adapter kit so I'll let you know how that goes. I'd like to upgrade the forks and get a disc on there. Then tear it all down and custom paint or powdercoat it...

Cheers!
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

[quote]Hello, I'm new here, signed up for the Gyro talk. I helped my scooter club fix up a 1986 as the raffle bike for the 2012 High Desert Scooterist's rally.

And then I won it.[/quote]
Good to see you are having continued fun with the Gyro :D :D
motormike

Post by motormike »

Greetings MrSmith.... :hi:
Good fortune certainly has come to you.
We're all Gyro lovers here, one of each kind....hahaha
I'm the kind that sees '85 as being the Crown jewel, while '84 is Kewtsie and the '86 a bit Gawdy.
I stumbled into the mini-motard scene riding a Honda CRF 50 frame w/110cc Lifan 4-speed.
I bought the '85 Gyro as a curiosity.
Later I discovered how happy it is carving motards with some slightly different tires mounted.
I've been thrashing it ever since with no regard for mercy awaiting that fatal crunch before
I got started doing mods and spending money.
Besides that, the trike goes as fast now as it needs to with me on it.
I can say without a doubt that a gyro CAN be low-sided if pushed too hard into a turn.
Before it happened, I would have said no.
Have great fun with yours.
Would love to see some pix... :thumbwink:
Please tell of your successes with future mods.
I sure would like to upgrade the fork/brake with some Takegawa stuff.

Attachments
Gyro photo.jpg
Gyro photo.jpg (27.1 KiB) Viewed 6338 times
RideRed