okay to use Multi-Purpose Primer on painting scooter??

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

handsomedevil27
BMX
BMX

okay to use Multi-Purpose Primer on painting scooter??

Post by handsomedevil27 »

so today I sanded down all the plastic parts on my scooter to repaint.
I went to the local hardware store and specifically asked for plastic primer from krylon. employee brought me back a multi purpose indoor/outdoor krylon primer and insisted it was the product I needed.

I come home lay down a base coat of primer, look at the back of the can and don't see plastic mentioned as one of the options I may use this on (Wood, Metal, Wicker, Glass, Plaster, Ceramic, Fabric, Paper, Paper Mache). I check out the KRYLON Website and see that there is a seperate product for Krylon Plastic Primer all together. I'm both enraged and scared that I may have ruined the parts of this elite scooter.

Did I just potentially do something really bad to the scooter by using a multi purpose primer, or is it OK for me to use one base coat and then 2-3 coats of the actual Plastic Primer as well??

Help :sad: :x :?
handsomedevil27
BMX
BMX

Re: okay to use Multi-Purpose Primer on painting scooter??

motormike

Post by motormike »

It would seem that the Multi-purpose primer will not adhere to plastic as well as the primer designed specifically for plastic.
The logic would indicate that no matter what you apply over the Multi-purpose, it will ultimately not adhere to the plastic,
and peel away with the first coat of the wrong stuff...bummer, yes.
I am ONLY speaking from logical deduction, not experience...... :urban:
RideRed
<(2)Gyro S><Helix><Sym Wolf>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
handsomedevil27
BMX
BMX

motormike wrote:It would seem that the Multi-purpose primer will not adhere to plastic as well as the primer designed specifically for plastic.
The logic would indicate that no matter what you apply over the Multi-purpose, it will ultimately not adhere to the plastic,
and peel away with the first coat of the wrong stuff...bummer, yes.
I am ONLY speaking from logical deduction, not experience...... :urban:
That is what I would assume to happen, but on the krylon website it states that the PLASTIC PRIMER can serve as a Topcoat with any Indoor/Outdoor paint or any other paint product...but I would imagine that would exclude a different kind of primer of course.

should I try to remove the multi purpose primer at this point? if so, by sanding down or buying a paint thinne/etc any ideas?
or is it OK to continue with this kind of primer, maybe I can do some extra coats and then finish it out with krylon plastic paint, and clear gloss finish
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Paint is not something I know a ton about, so I go to the auto parts place and talk to the paint guy when I have a question and they know exactly what's compatible with what usually. The last time I had to paint a plastic part was the head light bezel on my express. And since it was brand new factory paint on it the guy at the shop who mixed the spray bomb told me to scuff with a fine scotch brite, wash with dish soap and water rinse well dry and coat with the spray bomb. He gave me adhesion promoter for bare plastic. You might get lucky if you weren't coating the bare plastic with the primer, and it was scuffed well, it may stick. A trip to the parts store that sells automotive paints and supplies for the right info might pay off.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
handsomedevil27
BMX
BMX

the best advice I was given was to sand it down with 320 (I used 400 initially), since it was just a base coat, wash/dry and apply the plastic primer over it with a heavier coat rather than a light coat. worked so far! thanks guys