Buying a Spree, Jog and zx50 all this week.

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

steffen707
Elite
Elite

Buying a Spree, Jog and zx50 all this week.

Post by steffen707 »

I'm a race fan, so last friday i started looking on craigslist for another spree to buy. They're light and perfect for a pit bike for my wife and I to go to Road America this fall. Sure I could load up one spree and an elite, but I thought it would be easier. I found a few locally and was going to buy one yesterday.

The next day my buddy calls, his GF wants to sell her 1991 Yamaha Jog. Of course i'll buy it fro $350 I said. A few hours later my buddy called back, his mom crashed it on the way from their shed to my buddy's house. It wasn't on a curve, just going straight, 30mph big gust of wind I guess and she lost control. WEAR A HELMET EVEN ON A SCOOTER, JUST DRIVING 2 MILES AWAY. She's got her motorcycle licence but was dumb and didn't wear a helmet. Hairline skull fracture and smashed up face. She spent the night in the hospital and had plastic surgery on her nose because it was that messed up.

Anyways.....So now the headlight bezel is smashed and the aftermarket windshield is broken, but other than that, not bad. So he he sold me the Jog for $200.

Then last night while telling this story to friends I check craigslist and a guy is selling a Spree and a kymco zx50 for $500. He doesn't know if they run or not, hasn't tried in 3 years just wants them gone. Called him ASAP, paypalled him $100 to hold them and i'm picking them up in the next day or so.

I think the scooter gods are feeling sorry for me by giving up my sweet 2.5 car garage which has a bathroom in it. My wife and I are turning it into a Bake Shop. She's a graduate of the French Pastry School in Chicago. I'm going to live garageless for a few years until we can determine if we need to expand the Bake Shop, can afford a new garage, or if the business is failing and I need to turn it back into a garage.

The garage use to be a Bait Shop, so my house is zoned neighborhood business. My buddy wanted me to sell lures and call it, Steffens' Bake and Tackle. GET IT? :)

P.S. I'll post some eye candy pics of the scooters in a few days once they're in my possession.
87 Honda Spree,
XX Yamaha YSR50
92 Yamaha Jog -> Stock.
05 Kymco Super 9-> My cruiser
xx Honda Gyro -> Man I gotta fix that.
98 Honda Elite S -> corsa, pg long, 24mm oko, ct chrome, ZX trans w/ ruckus variator, trailtech vapor gauges
steffen707
Elite
Elite

Re: Buying a Spree, Jog and zx50 all this week.

Post by steffen707 »

Doubtful, but does anybody have a silky white yamaha jog front headlight bezel? I found one on ebay, scratched up for $85, brand new from bike bandit for $115.
87 Honda Spree,
XX Yamaha YSR50
92 Yamaha Jog -> Stock.
98 Honda Elite S -> corsa, pg long, 24mm oko, ct chrome, ZX trans w/ ruckus variator, trailtech vapor gauges
Pineapplegti
Elite
Elite

Post by Pineapplegti »

I need to see pics of this jog
78 Kromag. (Briton Bee) .. Under the knife.. Derbi pyramid port dual variated
78 flying dutchman.. e50 swap. mlm pipe custom tank seat.. gila kit
85 Honda spree . Af16 swap joerock mhr mini stroke scorpion pipe.
steffen707
Elite
Elite

Post by steffen707 »

steffen707 wrote:Doubtful, but does anybody have a silky white yamaha jog front headlight bezel? I found one on ebay, scratched up for $85, brand new from bike bandit for $115.
Nevermind I bought the one on ebay for $55 shipped with the best offer thing.

Pineapplegti - I will send pics once I get the scooter. Its actually in good condition for having been dumped. None of the rear or front plastics were scrached up. Just the aftermarket windshield was destroyed and that headlight bezel. I got that on order and a new right side grip and the metal collar thingy that holds the brake lever and buttons to the handlebars. That also broke in the crash.

If you never rode a Jog, they're a blast. Way faster than a stock elite. Though their front suspension isn't as nice as the elite.
87 Honda Spree,
XX Yamaha YSR50
92 Yamaha Jog -> Stock.
Pineapplegti
Elite
Elite

Post by Pineapplegti »

i have heard good things about the minarelli jog motor..
78 Kromag. (Briton Bee) .. Under the knife.. Derbi pyramid port dual variated
78 flying dutchman.. e50 swap. mlm pipe custom tank seat.. gila kit
85 Honda spree . Af16 swap joerock mhr mini stroke scorpion pipe.
steffen707
Elite
Elite

Post by steffen707 »

Yep, they're a great engine. Pre 1992, the Jog had a vertical engine, in 1992, that went to horizontal and gave a nice under seat storage area. The first Jog I got would do wheelies from take off if you weren't paying attention. It didn't have a new variator or anything, just lean a bit backwards and up the front came.
87 Honda Spree,
XX Yamaha YSR50
92 Yamaha Jog -> Stock.
steffen707
Elite
Elite

Post by steffen707 »

Well this is the only picture I have so far. I picked up a stainless table that was in a burger king and the 2 scooters in the same trip.

87 Honda Spree,
XX Yamaha YSR50
92 Yamaha Jog -> Stock.
steffen707
Elite
Elite

Post by steffen707 »

The passenger side rear wheel is the spare, I blew a tire on my way to Madison, only took 10 mins to put the spare on, not bad.

I spent an hour on the zx50, it had spark and 120-130psi compression, when I pulled the bowl drain, nothing came out at first, then basically pure oil sludge. I hooked up a poweraide bottle to the drain line and my vacuum pump to the intake hose until just gas was flowing out. I then hooked the bottle to the fuel feed line and continued draining the gas tank. This takes a long time depending how much gas is in there. It looked golden brown, the fresh gas I had in my gas can was clear.

I flushed the tank and carb with fresh gas, filled the bowl and it fired right up. Yay! Now I gotta clean it up tomorrow put it back together and sell it.
87 Honda Spree,
XX Yamaha YSR50
92 Yamaha Jog -> Stock.