Gyro - general thread

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

nunnsie
BMX
BMX

Re: Gyro - general thread

Post by nunnsie »

I got a second rear rack so I can choose between trunk or no trunk very easily. I think I like it best without the trunk now that I have the glovebox.
Attachments
84 Gyro-Tail.jpg
84 Gyro-Tail.jpg (240.42 KiB) Viewed 7745 times
Last edited by nunnsie on Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Riding is my prozac!

84 Gyro
83 Y Riva 180 (sold) | 86 Elite 150D (sold) | 83 Aero 80 (sold) | 86 Elite 150D (sold) | 87 Y Riva 80 (gifted) | 89 Y Riva 200 (sold) | 85 Spree (killed)
| 84 Aero 125 (sold) | 86 Elite 150D (sold)
Mallford
Noob
Noob

Post by Mallford »

OK guys my Gyro S tires are weather checked and need replaced so help me decide because I keep on looking for hours and just need to give in.

First is a size recommended by Motormike; a 15x6x6 and I found the CS101 otherwise known as the Mowku turf tire. Cheap tire that I think looks DOT :?: but I wonder if it will fit under my fenders without spacers. I am willing to do a fender lift but don't want to get crazy. I do get caught in the rain so I want to keep these fenders on and my * dry.

http://www.csttires.com/us/lawn-and-garden/cs101/

Second would be a pocket bike front tire that measures 13x5x6 which will definitely fit under the fenders but with this handy calculator I found http://tire-size-conversion.com/tire-size-calculator/ I would lose 4 mph off my top speed but most likely gain some torque and possibly get into second gear on a hill coming into my workplace.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/13x5-00-6-Tubel ... 258c27a4f7

So what do ya'll think I should do?
motormike

Post by motormike »

More educated in the Street application of the Gyro is 66SIX... :thumbwink:
He can give you definite answers to your questions.
gyromaniac would also have some practical opinions.
mousewheels certainly is well-versed in the choices and results, as well.
I like the 15x6.00x6 Carlisle rib tread for my track application, but it is totally inappropriate for street.
I'm not running fenderassembly... :urban:
Attachments
Gettin' air.jpg
Gettin' air.jpg (77.11 KiB) Viewed 7775 times
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Mines2t
BMX
BMX

Post by Mines2t »

I want one! Any gyro for sale?
gyromaniac
Spree
Spree

Post by gyromaniac »

I'd like to sell mine. $1350 OBO.

Here's the link to the body work restoration.

http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... 04&start=0
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Most expensive Buy It now I've seen - 13,999. Its for a GyroX, item 251621278180.
Attachments
GyroX_eBay_14k_08_2014.JPG
GyroX_eBay_14k_08_2014.JPG (47.75 KiB) Viewed 7687 times
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Looks only a modder could love. Like a Lego Transformer toy? You'd really, Really need to want one for that price.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
nunnsie
BMX
BMX

Post by nunnsie »

There is a Stream in Austin I rode a few weeks ago. It is very rough and was never properly imported, so no title. While it would be fun to have I'm not inclined to go through the hassle. Have a look! (http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/4602887569.html)
-Riding is my prozac!

84 Gyro
83 Y Riva 180 (sold) | 86 Elite 150D (sold) | 83 Aero 80 (sold) | 86 Elite 150D (sold) | 87 Y Riva 80 (gifted) | 89 Y Riva 200 (sold) | 85 Spree (killed)
| 84 Aero 125 (sold) | 86 Elite 150D (sold)
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Here's pic captures of the Stream nunnsie posted.
HondaStream.jpg
HondaStream.jpg (101.21 KiB) Viewed 7665 times

[quote='Wheelman-111"]Looks only a modder could love. Like a Lego Transformer toy? You'd really, Really need to want one for that price.[/quote]
:lol:
Re: Price - I'd wondered if the seller slipped in an extra digit on the auction, but the seller just dropped the price to $8599, IMHO still :crazy:

Here's a military themed GyroX build
Full thread (external link)
GyroX_military_theme.JPG
GyroX_military_theme.JPG (39.73 KiB) Viewed 7665 times
motormike

Post by motormike »

I clicked on the LINK to the Gyro-X build and read through that thread.
The only reply to that thread was the Admin. for the site, who promptly chastised the poster for using LARGE FONT in the captions of his photos. What a ridiculous complaint. It is trivial and petty. I understand that all capitals indicates yelling. That was not even the complaint...just that large font was not considered appropriate. Those of you who see my posts realize that I, too, use large font for the sake of being easily read. It has become my habit, and I rather enjoy having a trademark, if you will. If I become mad, and want to yell at you through this forum, I will do so, and I will use any size font I want to, until noiseguy gets upset and tells me differently. Personally, I think all posts should be written in large font so that I can easily read them without glasses. I also think that any admin. who feels the need to control font size of postings should go soak their head. Rant here, yes, I know, but it won't happen often, I promise. Besides, without the presence of Bear 45/70, the air is a little dead....Peace, love, and joy to the world.... :urban:
Attachments
Amphicar ride 2.jpg
Amphicar ride 2.jpg (94.33 KiB) Viewed 7662 times
RideRed
wentwest
Spree
Spree

Post by wentwest »

Not much happening on this thread lately. So, I was looking around in my storage place for something else and decided that, since I have recently lost a bunch of weight, I should try the Gyro again to see how it does. I was over 200 pounds and there were hills here in the San Francisco Bay Area that would just stop the thing cold, with the engine running and the clutch slipping. That's not good, so I had put it away for a while. Like, more than a year. It started pretty quickly, even without a battery jump, and after a quick check of the tires and such, I took it out for a little run. Ran very well, only a little start-up and running smoke, and it went up those hills easily. I guess the Honda engineers were serious when they said a 160 pound load limit. And, the machine certainly ran better, performed quicker.

I might have to renew the registration.
motormike

Post by motormike »

Way to go wentwest...kudos on the achievement.
I may be forced to put the lights back on mine...the racers all flaked out.
The Gyro is the only moto I've ever had that I really don't want to sell.... :urban:

RideRed
breaze
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by breaze »

Hi all,
Got a chance this afternoon to possibly trade one of my Aero 80's for an 86 Gyro. Gyro seems to be all there except for the airbox. Plastics are a little rough, but it runs fairly well. Owner told me on the phone that he ordered new rear wheels and tires from Japan (not installed).

Ordinarily I would say that a Gyro is more valuable than an Aero 80 but my 80 is almost perfect - less than 1000 miles, new tires, brakes, fuel lines, etc. Also, it seems fairly easy to find 80's around here - not true with Gyros.

Anyway, would appreciate any feedback especially related to finding another airbox/option.

'72 CT90
'73 CT90
'74 CT90
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Yes, that was a clean Aero you had. A Gyro with all plastics is rare find, with good value :thumbwink:

Regarding the airbox, the ideal part is TG50 only, but in a pinch an NN50 will do - if you source a bystarter resistor, and make your own heatsink/bracket for it.

-- The airbox difference
TG50 has a metal "L" bracket and mounts the bystater resistor to the airbox.

The NN50 has no such feature, as the bystarter resistor mounts to the metal heat shield bracket surrounding it's muffler

-- Common parts between TG50/NN50
Airbox cover, air filter and stamped metal "X" brace supporting the air filter element
breaze
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by breaze »

Much obliged - you must have sensed that I was looking at an 84 Gyro airbox on feebay - (I believe 84 would be NN50)
'72 CT90
'73 CT90
'74 CT90