spree tire size question

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: spree tire size question

Post by mousewheels »

-- Photo shows the lump at the valve stem ---
If that lump is near the valve stem on each attempt, it could be the tube is overlapping the bead seating area. Some tubes have reinforcement that splays the tube out in that area. Solution I use is to fully deflate, unscrew the valve stem nut, push in and work the tube out from under the bead area.
Bilbobaker
Noob
Noob

Post by Bilbobaker »

mousewheels wrote:-- Photo shows the lump at the valve stem ---
If that lump is near the valve stem on each attempt, it could be the tube is overlapping the bead seating area. Some tubes have reinforcement that splays the tube out in that area. Solution I use is to fully deflate, unscrew the valve stem nut, push in and work the tube out from under the bead area.
That worked perfect for me with 3.00 x 10 on the front.. not sure I can squeeze one in on the back without rubbing the airbox
bajack
Goped
Goped

Post by bajack »

with the tire it looks like its not beading. i use a different rim, tubless, but, I put around 60-65psi of air and i spray a mist of water around where it won't bead. and then bang it around, kick it around, and stuff. beat on it. if it wont take, let air out, rewet the area and try pumping it up again. i dont go over about 60ft /lbs cause it might pop, or something. ive checked with an air guage.
just takes a lot of air to seat the bead, and stuff.
breaze
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by breaze »

bajack wrote:with the tire it looks like its not beading. i use a different rim, tubless, but, I put around 60-65psi of air and i spray a mist of water around where it won't bead. and then bang it around, kick it around, and stuff. beat on it. if it wont take, let air out, rewet the area and try pumping it up again. i dont go over about 60ft /lbs cause it might pop, or something. ive checked with an air guage.
just takes a lot of air to seat the bead, and stuff.
+1 - I've mounted many tires which didn't seat right at first. Usually deflating and inflating a few times and they eventually seat correctly.
However, just finished mounting 2 Michelin S1's (with tubes) on my Aero 80 - almost never got them to seat. I finally inflated them up to around 60 and bounced them on the driveway before they finally went into place. That's an uncomfortable feeling pumping that much air in there.

Also, I've been using silicon spray instead of soapy water - not sure if that is wise but seems to work and I don't like the idea of wetting down the inside of the wheel.
'72 CT90
'73 CT90
'74 CT90