Is this a good deal? 1985 Honda spree

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

jaznl
Noob
Noob

Is this a good deal? 1985 Honda spree

Post by jaznl »

Sorry forum this is my first post ever so excuse me if Im breaking and rules but I have a major question to ask. Im looking into getting a 1985 honda spree and was wondering if this was a good deal. I dont have any pictures but its got 2800 original miles on it and 100 miles on a new rebuilt engine. Physically, the color is fading and their are white marks. Here are the specifications he listed:

for $550

1985 Red Honda Spree 50cc Two Stroke Engine
- 100 miles on the newly rebuilt engine, 2800 miles on the rest of the scooter. Purchased scooter at 2700 miles before restoration project.
- When I bought the scooter I took the entire scooter completely apart, cleaned all body panels, engine parts, oil/gas tank, carburetor, etc.
- Added a kickstart (1984-1985 Honda Sprees did not originally come with a kickstart)
- New cylinder, new piston, new piston rings
- New rear brakes
- New fuel filter
- New spark plug
- New belt
- New battery
- Replaced all missing hardware (nuts/bolts)
- Decarbonized exhaust/muffler
- Cleaned oil reservoir, oil filter, oil lines
- Cleaned fuel tank, fuel filter, fuel lines

Cons
- No Title, will provide bill of sale if requested
- No Key/Use any key or screw driver to turn it on
- Could use new tires
- Slightly ripped seat

also, if theres no title, will registering this be difficult or easy? he claims he has most of the paper work filled out and bill of sales and VINs

thanks you guys if you could help
Wheelman-111

Re: Is this a good deal? 1985 Honda spree

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

You might find a better scooter WITH the paperwork done for the same price at this time of year. The seller is dumping the work on You, promising "It'll all work out." Sometimes it doesn't. Check the VIN number through CarFax or the like, and make sure it hasn't been stolen, for starters. Sometimes sellers lie for money.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

I only buy bikes with titles if I plan on using them for drivers. That's just me though. make sure it's not stolen.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
red contra with yellow clutch springs.
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
motormike

Post by motormike »

In California...don't touch any scooter without title... :crazy:
This Spree is OVER-priced...by a whole lot.
Be smart and PASS on this one.
Save your $$ until something with a future comes along, like an Aero or Elite... :wink:
Buy a Spree, and be sorry later when you realize it just won't GO... :urban:

RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
jaznl
Noob
Noob

Post by jaznl »

this is all true but i feel that because i live in california the prices are higher than the your guy's locations. He also offered parts as well such as a carboertor set , gaskets, etc. but idk if he would budge anymore on the price... Also this is my first scooter ever so i thought a honda spree would be a nice fit...
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

How fast do you need to go to be safe on the streets. That should be your question. Sprees just aren't that fast. I loved mine but only needed to go 30-35 with it so I was good. After driving my elite I'll never go back. Sprees are great first scooters as long as you are safely traveling on roads that are 35 and under.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
motormike

Post by motormike »

jaznl wrote:this is all true but i feel that because i live in california the prices are higher than the your guy's locations. He also offered parts as well such as a carboertor set , gaskets, etc. but idk if he would budge anymore on the price... Also this is my first scooter ever so i thought a honda spree would be a nice fit...

I understand that California is STRICT about vehicle registrations.
If you want a POSITIVE experience buying and owning your first scooter,
this deal is screaming at you ..."RUN AWAY"
NO TITLE bikes are absolutely NOT easy to overcome, in any state, let alone one of the strictest.
I can tell by your statement that you are still tempted to buy this Spree.
You asked for some opinions.
I give you mine in all honesty and candor...RUN AWAY ! !
and find one with good, clean title...and Spree is a good bike, but S-L-O-W as a snail in OEM form.
You would be better off with an Urban Express, Aero, Elite, Jog, or anything with a variator... :urban:
EDIT : most importantly, the answer to your question is NO, this is a terrible deal... :hi:
RideRed
jaznl
Noob
Noob

Post by jaznl »

motormike wrote:
jaznl wrote:this is all true but i feel that because i live in california the prices are higher than the your guy's locations. He also offered parts as well such as a carboertor set , gaskets, etc. but idk if he would budge anymore on the price... Also this is my first scooter ever so i thought a honda spree would be a nice fit...

I understand that California is STRICT about vehicle registrations.
If you want a POSITIVE experience buying and owning your first scooter,
this deal is screaming at you ..."RUN AWAY"
NO TITLE bikes are absolutely NOT easy to overcome, in any state, let alone one of the strictest.
I can tell by your statement that you are still tempted to buy this Spree.
You asked for some opinions.
I give you mine in all honesty and candor...RUN AWAY ! !
and find one with good, clean title...and Spree is a good bike, but S-L-O-W as a snail in OEM form.
You would be better off with an Urban Express, Aero, Elite, Jog, or anything with a variator... :urban:
EDIT : most importantly, the answer to your question is NO, this is a terrible deal... :hi:

i understand motor mike, i really do appreciate the input. and idk i really am still tempted..... i checked through carfax and it says there 0 history of it.... is that good or bad?....
jaznl
Noob
Noob

Post by jaznl »

also my town's max speed on the main strip is 35mph and pretty much that all the way throughout the town lol.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Aside from the stiff asking price and the real possibility that you won't be able to make it Legal and get a license plate, the Spree has issues. Faded ABS plastic isn't easy or cheap to restore. Then consider it unlikely that you will ever see 30MPH, and even that comes up in no particular hurry.

Honda made the Spree to sell cheap, Really cheap. By omitting a variator, the little power the engine has struggles to start off, gains speed gradually, and tops out at 30. Guys here mainly swap engines to get a city traffic capable scooter. Assuming you are willing to mod, figure another $400 added to the price. For that kind of money, there are better machines.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
motormike

Post by motormike »

jaznl wrote:also my town's max speed on the main strip is 35mphand pretty much that all the way throughout the town lol.
In 35 mph zones, most vehicles are going to drive at least 40 mph. Fact.
Those vehicles will weigh several thousand pounds and the drivers will be texting on their I-phone.
A stock Spree with a rider weighing 150 pounds will barely achieve 30 mph at it's VERY FASTEST.
You will not be traveling along with traffic under these circumstances.
You will more likely be getting passed on both sides, being honked at, and being the target of water bottles and assorted sundry items.
Your only chance for survival on city streets is quickness and agility.
Spree has one of those.
Not to be completely hate-full towards Spree, they are fun in the appropriate setting... :thumbwink:
No title = No sale
RideRed
jaznl
Noob
Noob

Post by jaznl »

Oh thanks for the input everyone!! Really do appreciated it, but can you guys answer this now, how come having no title is a bad sign for just overall sale??! I'm really curious and confused.
jaznl
Noob
Noob

Post by jaznl »

It's not stolen or anything.... On carfax it shows 0 history records....
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

Can be really really hard to get it licsensed to make it legal to drive on the street. Just a big paperweight if you can't drive it. not saying it will be hard to do but you won't know till you do. I just don't waste my time without a title. Been burned and it's not worth my time. Would rather pass on a "deal" and wait to find the better "deal". listen to the guys on here. Great advice there are plenty of scooters out there.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
jaznl