What oils is everyone using?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

johnny248
Elite
Elite

What oils is everyone using?

Post by johnny248 »

This is not a 2T oil war, but more so curiosity as to what everyone is running for 2T oil as well as final drive oil.

I've owned my Elite since it was new, and it always ran on Honda GN2 , and had the factory fill in the final drive from '94 to '09. The bike was stock for that time peroid. I saved up money to buy my '94 while working as a dishwasher at a little restaurant when I was 14, and by mowing lawns. Purchased it with all of my cash from Farmington Cycle World in Farmington Hills, MI which is now closed. Lol thinking back, my dad took me up there. He was happy that I saved up my own money, and bought me a helmet and a couple bottles of GN2. He then followed me home with his hazard lights on while I was cruzing at 25mph on a 45mph road to get home :) memories.... So, my dad said that the GN2 is what it should get since Honda said so, and that is how she ran for nearly 15 years.

In '09, I threw a Taiwan 72cc bore on it. At that point it went to Amsoil Interceptor 2T since I used this in other engines and had a ton of it on my shelf. The final drive was drained finally after all of those years and filled with Amsoil Motorcycle 10w40. Again, I used the Amsoil MCF in one of my street bikes which shared engine and gear case oil.

I have owned several different 2T machines over the years, and have used all sorts of different oils. Engines ranged from stock liquid cooled engines, to heavily modified air cooled engines. I have uses everything from Golden Spectro (way back in the day... My first bike was an '85 YZ80 which happened to be what Damon Bradshaw rode to his 80cc championship...showing my age here lol) to Yamalube, Klotz, Maxima, Amsoil, Bel-Ray, and so on. I've never had a failure ,or anything really bad to say about any of them. They all seem to do what they are supposed it. I guess it comes down to application and preference.

With the motor in its current state , it has had basically everything in it replaced that ever saw fuel/oil mixture. Crank, bearings, piston, BBK. It also go a new set of gears in the rear end. With the reinvention of my scoot, I decided to try something new and different from what I have used in the past. I chose to use Motul 800 Factory Line Road Racing 2T (long enough name?) For my premix, and Motul TransOil Expert 10w40 in the final drive. I've seen the Motul name around for years, but this is the first bike I've ever used it in.

It seems like the Maxima 927 is very popular. Can't beat that smell of Castor burning. Love it. Klotz R50 seems pretty common also. Ive used both of those in the past on different things, and they both seemed to work very well. They both did seem a little messier than some of the synthetics though.

What's everyone here burning and keeping their gears happy with ?
..:ÔÇó┬░ 1994 HONDA ELiTE S SA50P - Original Owner ┬░ÔÇó:..
~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~
DeanP
Spree
Spree

Re: What oils is everyone using?

Post by DeanP »

Using Maxima Castor 927 and 80w-90 for the gears.
solid808
Spree
Spree

Post by solid808 »

using Motul full synthetic ..
2006 SYM DD50
72 Corsa
Mini Stroked
26mm Polini carb
Stage 6 intake manifold
Sparrow Exhaust
Polini Ruckus Variator
Malossi Fly Clutch w/ blue
1500 contra
Lightened mag
7.4-1 gears
johnny248
Elite
Elite

Post by johnny248 »

DeanP wrote:Using Maxima Castor 927 and 80w-90 for the gears.
How many miles do you have on that build? Are you getting any signs of "goop" with the 927? It was pretty goopy over time on my BBK blaster. Did a great job of keeping the cylinder wear down upon teardown though.
~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~
johnny248
Elite
Elite

Post by johnny248 »

solid808 wrote:using Motul full synthetic ..
Are you using 800? Motul in the gears also?
~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~
Downsouthdio
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Downsouthdio »

Belray 2t and 10w30 for my gears
Honda super dio
Corsa
26mm
Sparrow
Ben L.
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by Ben L. »

Amsoil Saber and 10w40 Amsoil Motorcycle oil in rear end. I use that on everything.
DeanP
Spree
Spree

Post by DeanP »

johnny248 wrote:
DeanP wrote:Using Maxima Castor 927 and 80w-90 for the gears.
How many miles do you have on that build? Are you getting any signs of "goop" with the 927? It was pretty goopy over time on my BBK blaster. Did a great job of keeping the cylinder wear down upon teardown though.
About 250 miles and no signs of goop yet.
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

Belray mineral 2t, maxima 927, and belray gear saver 80w. I run maxima 927 in all of my engines during break in and have been using belray mineral to help clean out the 927. What bbk did you have on a blaster? I have the vitos 240 and +3 and run only maxima in her. Incredible torque out of a sub 240cc.
curtis966
Elite
Elite

Post by curtis966 »

I run Amsoil Dominator and 80w gear oil can't remember the brand at the moment. I ran 927 in my last motor and really liked it had about 200 miles on it when I took it apart and the bore looked as good as new. No signs of goop. Only reason I switched is because I moved and here in northern Michigan every store is stocked with Amsoil products so it's just easier to come by. So far I like the Dominator just as much.
86 Aero 50,Polini 65cc BBK,malossi oring head,100 oct. 32:1
21mm OKO,Malossi Wild Lion exhaust,
Stock Ruck vari, malossi special belt,1.5k shoes,1k center,
aftermarket bell, front/rear metro wheels, TT vapor,
5in stretch on motor mount,280mm Shock.
johnny248
Elite
Elite

Post by johnny248 »

1man8scoots wrote:Belray mineral 2t, maxima 927, and belray gear saver 80w. I run maxima 927 in all of my engines during break in and have been using belray mineral to help clean out the 927. What bbk did you have on a blaster? I have the vitos 240 and +3 and run only maxima in her. Incredible torque out of a sub 240cc.
I had the Vito's kit also. First time around I had the stock jug, .040 over and used a product called Sport Sport by RaceLogic. Someone else sells then now, but they were magnetic port templates they you used to port the cylinder. That woke up my blaster so much! I think it may have been faster than the BBK.
~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~
johnny248
Elite
Elite

Post by johnny248 »

curtis966 wrote:I run Amsoil Dominator and 80w gear oil can't remember the brand at the moment. I ran 927 in my last motor and really liked it had about 200 miles on it when I took it apart and the bore looked as good as new. No signs of goop. Only reason I switched is because I moved and here in northern Michigan every store is stocked with Amsoil products so it's just easier to come by. So far I like the Dominator just as much.

I've had good results with Dominator in the past. Only down side is the smelled bad lol
~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~
johnny248
Elite
Elite

Post by johnny248 »

Ben L. wrote:Amsoil Saber and 10w40 Amsoil Motorcycle oil in rear end. I use that on everything.
I use Saber in my lawn and snow equipment and my 1945 Blue Ribbon Special outboard :)
~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~
Mini_Stroker305
Goped
Goped

Post by Mini_Stroker305 »

Belray 2t or klotz racing 2t
96 Yamaha Jog Next Zone CY50
72cc Polini Evo 2
Ruima 41.4 Teflon ministroke
Yasuni C16
24mm Polini pwk
Malossi 8:1 Primary Gears
Malossi VL14 Reeds
Polini 360 Mani
Jaingwayne transmission
Michelin S1 tires 90/90/10
Hoca Racing Fan/Alternator kit
johnny248
Elite
Elite

Post by johnny248 »

I guess I'll keep a tally

2T Oil

Motul - 2
Maxima 927 - 2
Belaray - 1
Amsoil Dominator - 1
Amsoil Saber - 1

Final Drive

Motul 10w40 - 1
80w90 - 1
10w30 - 1
Amsoil 10w40 - 1
BelRay - 1
~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~