Spree wont run without filter myth

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Spree wont run without filter myth

Post by noiseguy »

Ironically, OP's story about his bike reinforces what I (and we) already know: SPREE WON'T RUN WITHOUT A FILTER. And the idea that this board is a money machine for me personally is laughable.

I seem to recall the '87 Spree will run without airbox... on a pod filter, but I don't think it was anything I experienced personally.

All the '84/85 Spree I've worked on needed air box and filter in place to do anything other than sputter... if you could get them started, they'd run really lean, and pull lean (slow acceleration). My personal experience matches what I've seen countless times on this board in member's own experiences.

One of the reasons I didn't sell parts when I started the board over 10 years ago is the natural push-and-pull of running a forum vs. maintaining feedback with members. For instance, view G9's balancing selling parts and supporting those sales here, as well as feedback. As a site owner, the natural inclination is to ban buyers you don't get along with and delete threads that question your part's quality, esp with hard to install and prone to user error parts like bore kits. I consider it an unmanageable problem, and that's why I *still* don't sell much in terms of parts here.

I got into filter sales b/c members were complaining that they couldn't get filters from local dealers. I've since expanded and sell filters for ~30 bike, ATVs, and generator models on Ebay. It's one thing I can sell from here that really can't be argued about much... it's a flat piece of filter foam. Not much to screw up, for me or the installer.

Before that, 2004-2014, this board ran completely on my $$$, and to an extent donations.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Quoth hssfc, in the start of another Hissy Fic:
Hired yes men is all you are.
and
All your answers wheelman, where yes man honda answers.
Nowhere in my post did I "yell" at you or call you names. My Harley-Davidson experience was personal, not second-hand. It is, in my opinion, at least as relevant as your Tiller-man story. I agree with OneMan's suspicions, if not his method. He will be warned. You will have to reincarnate yourself yet again.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
doug9694
Noob
Noob

Post by doug9694 »

Ultraliner: You have it wrong! Reread what I said. It will restart with one or two kicks AFTER the soft seize. It will also rev up fine on the kickstand after soft seize. The "later and next day." had to do with cold starts and 5 minute runs before bogging. Just did this three times after a little tinkering to see if any improvement. Always restarted easily after initial warm up. Even immediately after soft seize.
I then came to this and other sites looking for what others have said. Learned about filter, then took apart. The Spree is something someone brought to me years ago free. I just recently got it out to use as a coil tester and got carried away in seeing if it would run at all.

This thing about filter sales is getting old. Most forums do not allow sales or repair services. Some only with the forum king's blessings. Bottom line is: that a Spree will run without a filter. Even if for a short time. Not that I suggest one does it. Especially on the Spree's bastardized system. Or any other such system.

Back in the 80's when I first started doing mower repairs an alternative to SAE 10w-30 and straight 30, per the instruction manuals, was 10w 40. After changing head gaskets or stripped out heads and doing valves I noticed some of those engines had a thick gummy substance on the piston and chamber. I asked the owner what sort of cheap oil they were using. Just one the owner's manual suggested,
10w-40. I decided right there and then that the tech experts don't always know what is good. I quit using 10w-40 in a hot running engine and low and behold a couple years later Briggs and others said not to use it. Same with not putting lock washers on sump screws. Briggs thought they would save a little. Turns out that the screws would back out from heat and vibration causing sump gasket leaks and blow outs. Any time I worked on these I would put lock washers on. So much for always going by the book! Common Sense rules! Think outside the box! etc. etc.
A time to enjoy before the final curtain.
Ultraliner

Post by Ultraliner »

Agreed, my reply to you last night was late and I was tired, but after re-reading your first post again I fail to see anything major that I missed. The essence of your post is that your Spree runs briefly, and very badly with no filter(and other possible problems)

Most peoples definition of a running Spree(or in my case Nifty)is one you can jump on, start and ride at pretty much full noise/top speed until it runs out of gas. Not one that runs for a few minutes and constantly dies.

"Bottom line is: that a Spree will run without a filter. Even if for a short time. Not that I suggest one does it."

For the record my Mazda6 will also run for a short time without any engine oil(but probably longer than your Spree). I also suggest no one does this.

If you go to a restaurant and don't like the menu no one is forcing you to go back... Apply that same theory here. Why rip on the forum head for turning over a few dollars selling some foam?!

No skin off your nose :thumbwink:
motormike

Post by motormike »

And with that level-headed and mannerly retort, we will cease to ruminate the subject any further...cheerio
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"