Honda NH80 Lead/Aero Parts Help

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

NZHonda
Spree
Spree

Honda NH80 Lead/Aero Parts Help

Post by NZHonda »

Hi all,

Kyle (paulpauly7) has my NH80 lead apart to wave his magic wand over.

Things we will be doing:

Boyseen power reeds. Up jet to #90. New brake shoes front and rear. New spark plug. New rear shock absorber. A good go through and service.

The real problem:

The rollers are flat. Stock is 18mm diameter x 14mm wide x 16 grams.
Where can I get these? They seem hard to find online? I've read that Dr Pulley sliders at 15grams work well?

The variator is almost un-usable. It is grooved and worn. If I have to reuse it I will hit it with some sand paper and scotch-brite pad. I may even get it spun in a lathe with some emery cloth to try and smooth it out.

So the question: after market, standard, anything that fits. What is out there for these variators that will fit these things? Centre hole diameter is 24mm. Outside diameter is 99mm. Again, I'm struggling to find an alternative to the Honda part.

I know that this has been discussed before but I cant find the info to pin point the answers to my exact questions. The real clincher is that I need to order parts as soon as possible as it usually takes 3 weeks to ship to New Zealand from the states and I need the bike ready for a cross country, cross mountains in winter adventure in 6 weeks time.

Thanks!
Honda AF28 Dio ZX - Malossi 72cc
Honda DJ1R project
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Re: Honda NH80 Lead/Aero Parts Help

Post by jakubman1 »

Go on eBay for rollers . I think they are called koso...for ten bucks they are great . I think you want the 16 gram rollers. Do not use oem rollers.
NZHonda
Spree
Spree

Post by NZHonda »

Ok. The only KOSO rollers I can find are 16mm diameter x 13mm wide. I guess if they are the same weight it doesn't matter?

Standard is 18mm diameter x 14mm wide.
Honda DJ1R project
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

I can't seem to find the ones I.bought. try messaging the seller on eBay
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Koso rollers are great had them in my aero 80 for years there are always used varis on eBay. I have tried the gy6 vari but neither one fit
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Ultraliner

Post by Ultraliner »

Ah so your'e doing the Tranz alpine safari, good luck!

Kinda annoyed I wont be able to make it, maybe in a couple of years time ;)
NZHonda
Spree
Spree

Post by NZHonda »

Thanks all.

Ive managed to find the correct rollers here in NZ. Sounds like the guy had to dig them out of the back shelf.

However, at this stage I'm going to have to run with the lathe the variator idea.

What's the worst that can happen!

And yes Ultraliner I will be on the mighty Scooter Safari for the 4th time. A great event and an event that everyone should do at least once in there life.
Honda DJ1R project
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

I think the lathe idea will work well. Got nothing to loose. I think if you go with a block and wet dry paper you can really fix that up nice maybe 400 to 600 then 800 maybe even start with 220. Spin it up and gently apply the block to.preserve the angle. Then work up in into the finer grits. And finish with the scotch brite
84 Spree stock
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
NZHonda
Spree
Spree

Post by NZHonda »

A real win today. I've got the new rollers and shocky.

My mate put the variator into his big lathe at work, matched the angle, and turned it down with the the tool and its come up really well. You can see a small groove left. We decided to leave that as we had already taken quite a bit off the face. Its not ridged anymore and nice and smooth so the belt should operate up and down freely.

Thanks for your help guys. Leave this thread up and hopefully one day someone might stumble across a variator that fits these older bikes.
Attachments
Honda NH80 (3).JPG
Honda NH80 (3).JPG (118.38 KiB) Viewed 6796 times
Honda NH80 (2).JPG
Honda NH80 (2).JPG (77.58 KiB) Viewed 6796 times
Honda NH80 (1).jpg
Honda NH80 (1).jpg (108.86 KiB) Viewed 6796 times
Honda DJ1R project
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

That variator looks like new! Want shock is that have there for it? The original shock on those are kinda crappy.
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
NZHonda
Spree
Spree

Post by NZHonda »

Yeah the bike is still running the original shock so this should be a big improvement. Its a no name no brand shock from a local scooter supplier. Me and a friend have fitted them to both of our scoots and they improve handling no end. When it comes to cornering with the original shocks I used to be able to feel the scooter wallow or push up and down. With these shocks its smooth sailing. Well worth the investment.

I would just shop around for a coil shock that will fit. These ones were not grossly priced (don't forget we are in New Zealand) and I will probably fit them to any future scooter.

I had to buy an offset malossi shock from Scooterswap shop due to my Honda JDM dio having 3.00 x 10 tyres (slightly wider than standard 90/90 and just rubbed on one of these shocks, the offset shock fixed all of that)
Honda DJ1R project
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

You might consider having your mate shave the pulley boss down by about the same thickness you removed from the Drive face. Otherwise, I would expect the belt to slip out front until the variator moves out to squeeze it. That front variator isn't designed to act as a second clutch.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH