driving a spree in the city?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

randomsumm3r
Noob
Noob

driving a spree in the city?

Post by randomsumm3r »

hi all,

my name is rachel & i'm in seattle. i just got an 86 spree this weekend, after renting a scooter last summer and loving that experience. this one feels very small in comparison and suddenly i'm worried about driving it on the street. i'm curious how many of you ride yours in cities as opposed to rural or beachy areas?

i of course don't intend to be on the highways, but i had wanted to roam through the neighborhoods via regular city streets. should i have gotten an elite instead? my friend has an elite and we plan to ride together often to increase visibility. but i just wanted to get an idea whether people are going to think i'm nuts, or what. my neighborhood is vespa central.

thanks so much! have a good night-
rachel
chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Post by chevyguyjay »

well, sprees r street legal. make sure u get it legal at the s.o.s. elites r more fun cause they have a lil more pep to em. i have a lil of both. a 84 spree with a elite50 engine. :wink:
KZ250andSpree
BMX
BMX

Post by KZ250andSpree »

Every time I'm going somewhere in town I find back roads through urban neighborhoods so I'm not caught on a 45mph street going 35mph. But hey, it was free :P
1980 KZ250LTD (need to get it running ><)
1986 Spree
kurremkarm
Spree
Spree

Post by kurremkarm »

I drive all over on mine, and though i have a truck this is my favorite transportation since it gets 80 mpg. Of course when its raining i drive my truck.
zonker1984
BMX
BMX

Post by zonker1984 »

I drive mine all over town where I live. It helps if there's an already strong scooter/motorcycle community, since then people will be used to two-wheeled traffic.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

i have an elite, little faster then a spree but same idea. i ride it every were, i live in a really small town but me and 3,4 or up to 5 people will go riding into big towns all the time (mike has a spree)(mark and his cousin have metropolitans)(me an elite)(robert has vento)(and Marc has a ruckus)

its not a gang or anything just some friends who have mopeds, we go as slow as the slowest person riding that day,we all ride right next to each other but if we see a car coming we line up
big city riding is were its the funnest. for us its about 30 minute ride to get in a good size city so we dont do it much.

in a case of riding a smaller moped just think of your self as a bike, let cars do there thing and just move around them.
for example riding on side walks (dangers) but VARY fun
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
Brother Roscoe
Noob
Noob

Post by Brother Roscoe »

I ride my 87 spree everywhere. I have moved to a smaller town but there is still traffic that goes 55 on some roads. I just stay to the right and let them pass when they need to. I get lots of smiles and waves from the folks around here and almost every time I stop somebody wants to buy it from me. I don't see to many two wheelers around here but people always seem to notice the big guy on the small scooter. 8)
"Son, you gotta panty on yer head."
87 Spree NQ50
KZ250andSpree
BMX
BMX

Post by KZ250andSpree »

Dac wrote:big city riding is were its the funnest. for us its about 30 minute ride to get in a good size city so we dont do it much.
I love my spree in heavy traffic. People always seem so happy when you zip by a line of 20 cars stuck in a jam. At least I always pretend they're yelling happy things :P
1980 KZ250LTD (need to get it running ><)
1986 Spree
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

I rode my Spree everywhere back in the day! Went on some main roads, but mostly stayed on neighborhood roads and back ways. :)
projects galore :nerd: