How far do you/have you ridden your Spree and for how long?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Reydawggy
Noob
Noob

How far do you/have you ridden your Spree and for how long?

Post by Reydawggy »

I am a newbie and I just purchased an 86 spree. The guy I bought it from said I should not run it any longer than 30 minutes. I guess because it's air cooled... I want to ride it about 8 mile to work. Back streets and all it would be 20 minutes. Am I asking too much out of the bike? Am I stuck with jaunts to the store? It runs great. Kicks on the first try and all the lights etc work.

Just wondering...

Also what's the steepest hill you think it would climb at a reasonable speed?
It's fun, so what!
chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Post by chevyguyjay »

what?! :shock: dude, i put 150 miles on mine in one day! its a spree! drive it! make sure your oil level is full. mix in some oil with your gas for extra lube. :wink:
jagojago
Noob
Noob

Post by jagojago »

That's what she said
KHPower
Goped
Goped

Post by KHPower »

I have did 10 mile comutes back and forth equaling 20 miles easily with no problem :wink: Just use good ol' GN2 for oil and youll be alright.
" If you kill the Jo you make some Mo"
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

i guy on here named "Crotchrocket" modified his honda elite (not a spree but same concept) with 'ram air' its a good idea if your going to be riding a long time and to keep your motor cooler

click the pic to go to his tread[/url]
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Hi,
I live nearby in the Pacific Northwest area, hills here can bring my stock Gyro down to 15 mph or so. But the Gyro is heavier, so you may do better. I've done about 50-60 miles in a day around here. Tacoma's got some good hills too - what's your Spree experience?
Last edited by mousewheels on Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Wow I remember I used to ride hours on my spree.. that guy doesn't know what he's talking about.
projects galore :nerd:
Reydawggy
Noob
Noob

Well, here's my experience

Post by Reydawggy »

mousewheels wrote:Hi,
I live nearby in the Pacific Northwest area, hills here can bring my stock Gyro down to 15 mph or so. But the Gyro is heavier, so you may do better. I've done about 50-60 miles in a day around here. Tacoma's got some good hills too - what's your Spree experience?
I only weigh like 140 lbs so i can get my Spree going 30+mph easy and on most of my route I can take the hills at 25mph. I've got nothing but nods and smiles from most folks. Today the TPD motorcyle cops gave me a nod at the intersection. FUN! I put on about 18 mile a day since it's been nice. Am I doning any harm pushing the Spree at 25+ for an extended time? I figured i'm getting 80mpg easy and she seems to not mind the hills, but I'm not positive.
It's fun, so what!
kurremkarm
Spree
Spree

Post by kurremkarm »

There is probably a practical limit to how far you can go on a spree, obviously the thing has a half gallon tank. I have never had any problems at any distance i have gone and i put 2500 miles on mine in about one year.
skaltpunk
Goped
Goped

Post by skaltpunk »

im planning on taking my nq50 from grand rapids michigan to san francisco. we'll see how it holds up to 250 miles in a day! any suggestions besides taking the plastic off and adding more oil to the gas?
KHPower
Goped
Goped

Post by KHPower »

skaltpunk wrote:im planning on taking my nq50 from grand rapids michigan to san francisco. we'll see how it holds up to 250 miles in a day! any suggestions besides taking the plastic off and adding more oil to the gas?
:shock: Sweet!
" If you kill the Jo you make some Mo"
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

im planning on taking my nq50 from grand rapids michigan to san francisco. we'll see how it holds up to 250 miles in a day! any suggestions besides taking the plastic off and adding more oil to the gas?
Dude! :shock:
2 friends of mine and me were plaining to ride Detroit MI from Sawyer MI (205.20 miles), renting a hotel for one night and coming back the next day
(07 ruckus , 07 metropolitan , 92 elite-me)
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
wikked_spree57
Elite
Elite

Post by wikked_spree57 »

A small piece of advice would be when you plan on riding a long time would be to add about an ounce of oil to the gas. I mistakenly trusted my oil injector on a 102 degree day and a small 5 mile trip into town left me with burnt piston rings and a cracked piston. My oil light came on 1/4 of the way there, but stupid me thought nothing of it because the oil tank was still full, after 5 tanks of gas something didn't add up. I used to rock an Aero which used 1/2 tank of oil with every 2 or 3 tanks of gas. I figure my injector died, so it's a good insurance policy.
1994 BMW 525i 5 speed BEAMER TIME
1983 Yamaha XC 180 - Bought barn fresh in mint condition and 254 miles. Best bike I ever owned :)
Reydawggy
Noob
Noob

Post by Reydawggy »

My oil light seems to be dead. How do you test/Change the bulb or sender? Also can too much oil make it smoke? Is Synthetic (Castrol) bad?
It's fun, so what!
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

There is a section in the Spree manual for how to test the oil sender and bulb

But basically its like this - pull out your oil level switch from the oil tank.
Turn on your ignition. The light should be on. Gently push the float up, the light should go out.

If the light does not go on, check the switch with a DMM, it should read near zero ohms when the float is at the bottom of its travel. Switch ok? then check the bulb and wiring upstream....

====
To stay on topic for miles ridden in a day, I'm still way below the others, but hit 55 this summer. I have bicycled much further in a day, don't know why I don't scooter longer :oops: