Machining Cylinder Head

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

HuskieMobileMan
Spree
Spree

Machining Cylinder Head

Post by HuskieMobileMan »

How much should this cost to have done? One place told me $70! What a joke. How should I go about finding a place?
'87 Elite SE50 w/65cc Polini Kit
'84 Aero NH125
'84 Aero NH80
'05 Kymco ZX50
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

idk but $70 is way to much to mill a head down. I dont think it would be more than $20
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Post by chevyguyjay »

what head is it? whats it go to? i could do it if its a spree or elite se50 head. :wink:
HuskieMobileMan
Spree
Spree

chevyguyjay wrote:what head is it? whats it go to? i could do it if its a spree or elite se50 head. :wink:
NH80, how would you do it? What kind of machinery do you have?
'84 Aero NH125
'84 Aero NH80
'05 Kymco ZX50
chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Post by chevyguyjay »

im not sure what the NH80 head looks like. on the spree head, i have a piece of steel about 4x4 and 3/4" thick. i drilled and tapped a hole in the center. i take the head and screw it down to the 4x4 steel plate with the fins of the head facing up. i put it on a magnetic surface grinder at work and mill the top of the head first. after i c that i milled all the fins, i flip it upside down and repeat the process. works great! 8) i milled 5, and ended up selling 3 of them. :wink:
HuskieMobileMan
Spree
Spree

chevyguyjay wrote:im not sure what the NH80 head looks like. on the spree head, i have a piece of steel about 4x4 and 3/4" thick. i drilled and tapped a hole in the center. i take the head and screw it down to the 4x4 steel plate with the fins of the head facing up. i put it on a magnetic surface grinder at work and mill the top of the head first. after i c that i milled all the fins, i flip it upside down and repeat the process. works great! 8) i milled 5, and ended up selling 3 of them. :wink:
Do you mill the fins just so that you get a flat surface on the top?
'84 Aero NH125
'84 Aero NH80
'05 Kymco ZX50
chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Post by chevyguyjay »

u got it. :wink:
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

y would you mill the fins? That would make it run hotter on top of the increased heat after bumping up the compression
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Post by chevyguyjay »

well, take a stock spree head and lay it on a level surface with the fins down. if u notice, it has a wobble to it. i only mill just enough so i get all the fins. now that i know i got every fin, then i flip head upside down and mill the head. :wink:
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Milling enough off the top to machine the bottom won't hurt anything; it's just using the equipment you have available. When I looked at milling the head I had the same problem.

We decided to use a lathe instead, using a similar jig to hold the head by the spark plug. This appears to be how they are done in production.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

oh now i get it your just removing casting defects not the entire fin
chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Post by chevyguyjay »

:wink:
chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Post by chevyguyjay »

first thing i do is clean/ degrease the heads, then paint them with with a nice hard enamel finish. i machine these heads on a surface grinder. i start with the fin side up so i get that side level. then i flip it upside down and mill the head. pretty good results. :wink:
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Nice pics, they finish off how you do the work. Great looking heads
Are you thinking about naming a price for another run of heads?
Do you think your jig can handle Gyro heads?

Noiseguy - thanks too - the lathe jig info is good. I didn't know how folks are doing the mods and dont have the equipment but its great to find out how its properly done.

thanks!
chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Post by chevyguyjay »

yea, the gyro head is going to be a little tricky. with those 2 studs, i might have to remove them and replace them with screws instead. i and going to do it though.......cant really think of any performance things to do to a gyro. 8)