87 elite Throttle

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

87ELITE50_sandiego
Noob
Noob

87 elite Throttle

Post by 87ELITE50_sandiego »

Hi Gang. I was really glad to find this site. I was recently overseas in a place where everybody rode scooters and got the bug. Came home and bought a little red 50cc 87 elite in pretty good working condition.

It has two issues...

#1- I got a little excited and pulled the throttle too hard and now it just spins. It was already slipping a bit it felt like so no biggie. What can I do? Do I need a whole new throttle and how hard is it to fix/replace?

#2- Float Needle. Not sure hwat exactly is wrong but the float needle/pin in the carberatour has some issue where when I idle it floods. Once I'm going it burns it off quickly and no problem but i want to fix it so I can move on to more exciting things like a new paint job and any mods I can do to increase speed and performance. I ordered the part, how hard is this to fix? Is there a manual somewhere I can view or buy to help me?

Thanks, Look for updates as I make my scooter look good and go fast:)
Jesh
BwaaaaBwaBwaaaaaa
THNX - Jesh
87ELITE50_sandiego
Noob
Noob

its a....

Post by 87ELITE50_sandiego »

se50 I believe
BwaaaaBwaBwaaaaaa
THNX - Jesh
Pygmaelion
Goped
Goped

Post by Pygmaelion »

So, you turned the throttle so hard, that now it doesn't actually work as a throttle, but instead just revolves around and around?

I've never broken one that way, but I have replaced a throttle cable, and have seen the workings where it attaches to the grip. It's pretty simple to get apart. Take the headlight/ dash assemblies off.

You should be able to remove a few screws from the dash side, split the 2 plastic shells apart, then carefully get at the screws that hold the front body panel onto the handlebar brackets. Remember to go slowly, and look for points of resistance. Where there's resistance, there's attachment (and a chance to break off a tab if you force it). Once you have both halves of the plastic shell off, you should see where the throttle grip is held onto the handlebars by what amounts to being a clamp. Simply unscrew one side of the clamp, and then the other. When this is off, I'm guessing you'll be able to see the throttle cable unshielded, and the plastic channel where it locks into the throttle grip. If you've stripped the endpiece off the cable, you'll find it. If you've destroyed the plastic channel, you'll see that as well. Simply replace the damaged part, oil your cable (while you're in there, you may as well), and repeat steps backward to replace.

I keep a magnet wrapped in newspaper around, just to put my screws on, and that keeps me from losing too many.

As for the float needle, flooding, performance bolt ons, and repaints, take a look in the technical section for this forum. Cleaning a carb is simply a matter of taking photos (or having a good memory), taking it apart slowly, getting the rubber seals safely out, and using berryman's b12 chemtool or other carb cleaner to get the deposits out. It goes a long way toward making these scoots run (and is usually the prime suspect when they don't).

I think you can get bolt on upgrade kits to increase displacement for the SE 50's, but do yourself a favor and get it running on what you have currently. Nothing worse than putting together an engine with new kit, and finding out you need to strip it all down to fix crank bearings or something.

There's lots of know-how on this board, even if most of the answers are "clean your carb, get new gas, clear out your muffler, and do plug chops".
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

its a se50. that is the only 50cc elite made in 87