Moped Legal Age

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Moped Legal Age

Post by Dac »

What is your thoughts on Legal Moped Age?

I really cant seem to decide what side im on. Is 15years old to young? or is 15years old a bad law?

On one hand, i got a few friends who under aged. One of my friends is 13. He has a newer honda metropolitan that does 45mph with him on it. Now, He has been riding 4 wheelers, go karts, dirt bikes, mini bikes,ect. Since he was 5. He really knows what he is doing.
He knows all about the rules of the road. He signals all his turns. Drives Perfect. Has not crashed his moped yet.

On the other hand, i know a few people that are 16+ who cant drive a moped worth a s***. One Person i know is 17, He is a cool dude but he cant drive a moped worth a s***. Since he has his drivers license he can legally drive a moped.
He never signals. He crashes like crazy. He ran into a parked car. He Really should not have a moped. Its not just this one person im talking about, There is allot of people getting mopeds and 1/3rds of these people fit into this category.

What do you think?
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

In MI, you can get a moped-only license at 15, right?

I agree, age does not indicate riding skill.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

noiseguy wrote:In MI, you can get a moped-only license at 15, right?

I agree, age does not indicate riding skill.
Yes.
In Michigan you have to be 15 years of age to get a Moped License.
Also, in Michigan, if you have a full license you don't need a moped license.
1991--------Tomos Targa-
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by CharlotteSpreeRider »

Laws based on age are meant to assert a certain level of maturity to a person of a certain age. It pretty much always ends up bad, but how else would you do it? In NC, you have to be 16 to ride a moped, there is no license requirement of any kind, or tag/registration/insurance. That's why they're affectionately refered to as "liquor-sickles" (get your license revoked for DUI, and you can still ride a moped around). You have to be 18 to get married, buy tobacco products or buy a rifle, and 21 to buy alcohol and handguns. All of those rules suck. It would be nice if for each person, a psychological evalation could be done periodically to determine how mature and responsible the person is, then allow them certain privilages based on that evalation. But who would do the evaluation, for every single person in the whole country? Who would pay for it all? It's just not going to work.

Marriage -- I don't think most people should really get married in this day and age until they are 30. I'm 29 and on my 2nd marriage. I got married when I was 20 and my ex-wife was 18. It didn't end well.

Tobacco -- I don't know what a good age would be. I've been smoking since I was quite young. I wish I could quit and I've tried over and over again, it just doesn't work. 18 seems awfully young to be able to make a decision that could affect the rest of your life. When you're 18, you typically don't have any idea where your life will take you by the time you're 28. You barely have an idea where you'll be when you're 19.

Rifles/handguns -- I know some 10 year olds who I'd trust with a gun, and I know some 60 year olds that I wouldn't trust with a butter knife. It varies so wildly it's just ridiculous.

Alcohol -- My family has alot of alcoholics and I know alot of people that are alcoholics. I've met very few people under 21 that I think would be mature and responsible enough to drink, and I've also met MANY people well into their 20's that aren't mature enough to be trusted with a can of Coke.

Mopeds -- I've known 10 year olds that could easily handle a moped, and I know people well over 16 that definitely shouldn't be driving, much less riding a moped. They should probably be allowed to walk, but only if they wear a helmet at all times.

It's all kinda stupid. Lawyers and politicians making up laws, making them one-size-fits-all, then cramming them down our throats. In my perfect world, none of these age-related laws would exist. If you're young enough to live with your parents, your parents are responsible for deciding what you can and cannot do. If you're on your own, you should be able to do whatever you wish so long as it doesn't infringe upon the rights of others.

So, I think it should be up to the parents. If some 8 year old kid's parents think he'd be safe and responsible with a moped, that kid should be able to ride. Parents should be responsible for their children, not the government.

-aseigler
berreta22
Elite
Elite

Post by berreta22 »

I think the point of this whole thing is Maturity. I agree, Age doesnt mean anything but it also means we have to abide by them since it is the law.
1987 Spree 4400 miles 32 mph stock with my 285lb ***
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

now, i believe there should be some limits set from government. I mean, I agree what you are saying. But Just like kids, there are allot of parents that are to young/ immuter to raise kids.

I mean, i think rules should be set at home, Yes. But i know a few people who would be getting there 9 year olds mopeds. Not because he has that type of expence. But the fact that they dont care.
As hard as it is to believe. There is parents like that.
1991--------Tomos Targa-
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Laws are only to protect the stupid and to avoid facing fears. Some laws are laso based from hate.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

its acctually 14 and 9 months in michigan....
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

MySpree wrote:its acctually 14 and 9 months in michigan....
Wrong. Its 14 and 9 months for all your permit stuff.
A moped licenses is 15. Trust me, i had to go tho' all this stuff last year. i know.
1991--------Tomos Targa-
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

1991--------Tomos Targa-
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Post by GIJoeBob »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:Laws are only to protect the stupid and to avoid facing fears. Some laws are laso based from hate.
I would say that most laws are there to protect people from the immoral behavior of others.
myhonda
Elite
Elite

Post by myhonda »

i can say for ct. u need to have a valid drivers lisence to operate a moped. it does not need to be registered or insured thogh.
mopedman
CB900F
CB900F

Post by mopedman »

the problem is no matter what age it is set at there will always be stupid people. Me and Darat got ares when we were 15 and we were fine, i didn't get hit by a car on my moped till i had a drivers license, in that case it was the cars fault.
Michigan Moped Mafia founding member
2005 Yamaha Zuma
1985 Honda Spree
1978 Honda Express
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by CharlotteSpreeRider »

mopedman wrote:in that case it was the cars fault.
When you're on a bike, it doesn't matter who's fault it is, the biker loses. Sometimes his life.

-aseigler
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

Here in Oregon you need a drivers license, which you can't get until you're 16, and if the engine is over 50cc you need a motorcycle license. Vehicle ALWAYS must be insured and registered if you take it on the road...I am so envious of you guys right now. Although insurance only be like $13/month for me...much cheaper than a car still.