What Kind of engine oil do you use in your Moped?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

What Kind of Oil do you use?

Synthetic 2 stroke injection
48%
Regular 2 stroke injection
38%
Other(specify)
14%

Total votes: 29

No_Stopping_A_Spree
Spree
Spree

Post by No_Stopping_A_Spree »

Dac wrote:hey fokes, i think i might have found my problem. who i fried my last bore kit.
i dont use 2 stroke injection oil. i just buy a container that says 2stroke. not injection. how bad is this? and should i trow away what i got and get all new injection oil?

[the dumb * at honda said it could cause it to fire before the plug sparks. it could pre-combust like Diesel motors. he had no proof to back it up thats just what he said. when i asked him if he cared to explain he said 'thats just what i heard.']
Well alot of people have premixed in these scooters..some I'm sure who didn't have a working oil injector and had to premix who never had any problems that I'm aware of. I have added a little extra oil to the gas when I drilled the washer in the pipe out just because I was scared of messing it up since I'm going faster then before and never had a problem with doing this besides a little extra smoke at first. Now I don't. I just rely on the oil injector
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

no, using the normal 2 stroke oil and the injector.
if im using my oiler should i only use injection oil? compared to every day 2 stroke oil?
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
No_Stopping_A_Spree
Spree
Spree

Dac wrote:no, using the normal 2 stroke oil and the injector.
if im using my oiler should i only use injection oil? compared to every day 2 stroke oil?
2-stroke injector only in the oil tank
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

ok... but what do i do now? my take is full of normal 2-stroke....
is this bad? i know theres got to be some difference but what is it?
1991--------Tomos Targa-
No_Stopping_A_Spree
Spree
Spree

idk myself..I remember seeing posts like this where the people should use 2-stroke injector oil and not regular 2-stroke oil and were told to drain their oil lines and top it with injector oil
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

yeah i remember seeing this like this also but when i go to find then now i find nothing.
plus it seems every one i talk to about this ether says 'dont do that, i dont know why just dont' or 'i dont see what it could hurt'
even at honda power sports they all say something different.
1991--------Tomos Targa-
wikked_spree57
Elite
Elite

Post by wikked_spree57 »

I'm curious about all that too, I'm pre-mixing regular two stroke oil (what was in my moped when I got it) the blue stuff heavily, AND running my oiler. I open my throttle the slightest bit and it looks like I'm fogging for skeeters, but that Bosch plug is yet to foul out. I put 4 ounces of two stroke oil to a full tank of gas, plus my oiler. But my oiler has the same standard two stroke oil. How much does injector oil cost and can I get it at autozone?
1994 BMW 525i 5 speed BEAMER TIME
1983 Yamaha XC 180 - Bought barn fresh in mint condition and 254 miles. Best bike I ever owned :)
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

wait WHAT????
I put 4 ounces of two stroke oil to a full tank of gas, plus my oiler.
dude! even if your oiler didn't work your only spost to add like 2
i dont blame you for wanting to not burn up your motor but man thats alot!
I open my throttle the slightest bit and it looks like I'm fogging for skeeters,
that works, when ever im working on my sundiro or geely and the bugs are getting me i just turn on my elite and rev it up a few times. most the bugs go away
1991--------Tomos Targa-
buildbyflying
Noob
Noob

Post by buildbyflying »

I went by my local honda dealer and they were out of gn2, so I stopped by my local scooter shop and they recommended Motul 710 synthetic.
I'm not sure how familiar they were with Hondas but anybody here have experience with the synthetics?
Do I really need to premix this? I thought that's what the injector was for?
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

I used to use Silkolene Pro Scoot full synthetic in my scoots, but it costs and found out it wasnt premixing real well!

So I've switched to Castrol premix type 2t oil from pepboys, and at only $4/quart its much cheaper (compared to $13/qt) and premixes better!

I'm using it in all my heavily modded scooters btw.
projects galore :nerd:
buildbyflying
Noob
Noob

Post by buildbyflying »

woah. yeah, 4 bucks is much better than 13. :shock:
As for this fancy "premix"-ing... does that mean I'm mixing it myself or that it was pre-mixed before it got in the bottle?
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Premix:mixing gas and oil in a separate tank and burning that with the oil pump disabled. Oil pump disabling is a one way trip and you may need to retune the carb.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
darat
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by darat »

BELRAY SI7
MICHIGAN MOPED MAFIA Co Founder VET OG. 95 YAMAHA JOG 70CC
Jenesis
Noob
Noob

Post by Jenesis »

Just switched to Fuchs Silkolene semi-synthetic. No problems so far...
1985 NQ50 "Nifty 50"
Cubey
Spree
Spree

Post by Cubey »

When I first bought this scooter (40cc, 2 cycle, weights about 60lbs I think, top speed about 28-30mph for me)...
http://cubey.illiop.com/pics/displayima ... m=26&pos=0
.. I used Red Line 2-cycle racing oil (synthetic) as suggested by the salesman, No, he didn't sell it in his shop. In fact he gave me a bottle he had for it and told me where I could buy it (an auto parts store I know he had no stock in). It cost about $4 for a bottle but lasted a good while.

I used it until I moved back to Arkansas and I can't find it around here. I switched over to Quicksilver since it's supposed to be a high quality oil as well. But then again, I was having to premix. I don't know what kind of oil is in my Spree right now. I guess I'll leave whats in there and just get a new bottle of injector oil and add some to it. Eventually the existing oil will be diluted down to nothing by the better oil and I'll no longer have a "problem" with mysterious oil in it.

The salesman of the above scooter also told me to use premium gas. But someone here on the forum in another topic said he found no difference in gas octane levels so I guess I won't bother anymore. On that scooter I got a good 70mpg or more. I would often carry cargo in a backpack or on the running board so that would sometimes effect the mpg.

It used to get better but I think it needs some attention with adjustments as I seem to be having problems getting it right and it's using more gas than it should now. It has no odometer (and I used a barely working bicycle speedometer) so I can't really verify the MPG. I just know the tank holds 1 litre (1 gallon = 3.78 liters .. plus the 4oz oil mixed in) so one gallon of mix almost gives 4 full tanks. And I would ride it a good 15+ miles on a single tank of gas and have about 1/4 tank left over.
Dac wrote:wait WHAT????
I put 4 ounces of two stroke oil to a full tank of gas, plus my oiler.
dude! even if your oiler didn't work your only spost to add like 2
i dont blame you for wanting to not burn up your motor but man thats alot!
Guess on Hondas its a lot. Although, i don't know what the fuel tank capacity is either on the scooter being referenced. The ratio for the scooter above I have forgotten but as I recall by ounces, it took about 4 ounes to 1 gallon of gas. (25:1?) I have a document somewhere that has the specs on the above scooter if I were to look for it to verify it.
1985 Honda Gyro S (project bike, work in progress!)
1984 Honda Spree - Bought May 30, 2008 with 810.8 miles on it. (Sold with ~1600mi)
Others owned/rode/sold: '86 Helix trike, '07 Vino 125, '88 Elite 250
Dac wrote:Friends+your moped=BAD IDEA.