Iridium spark plug in the Spree

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Scooterspal
Goped
Goped

Iridium spark plug in the Spree

Post by Scooterspal »

I ordered an NGK Iridium IX spark plug for my 1985 Spree. I have one in my other scooter and it has worked out well. Much faster starts, smoother running all around. It's worth the $7.00, I feel.

Has anyone else done the same?
Keoni
Goped
Goped

Post by Keoni »

I have personally never tried the Iridium plugs but I have tried silver and gold plugs and i can tell you this...they are not worth the money for something you will change every few months. The Iridium plugs cost more then the Gold plugs so I'd perosnally stay stay away but thats just my 2 cents.
VTCycles.com for performance parts.
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by CharlotteSpreeRider »

I'd say, if you really think they make a big difference, do a blind "taste test". Get 2 or 3 different kinds of plugs, and have someone else put one of them in and not tell you which one they are putting in. Ride it around, maybe for a day or a week or whatever, then have them change to a different plug, again without telling you which plug is it. That will remove the possiblity of your thinking that the Iridium plug is better from being a subconcious tendency to believe the marketing hype that everything that is more expensive is better (Monster cables for example).

I'm not saying that any plug is any better or worse than any other, just suggesting that it should be tested blindly for the sake of science.

-aseigler
Cubey
Spree
Spree

Post by Cubey »

I think I'd rather stick to the $1.72 (w/ tax) normal NGK plugs than pay $7 for one.
1985 Honda Gyro S (project bike, work in progress!)
1984 Honda Spree - Bought May 30, 2008 with 810.8 miles on it. (Sold with ~1600mi)
Others owned/rode/sold: '86 Helix trike, '07 Vino 125, '88 Elite 250
Dac wrote:Friends+your moped=BAD IDEA.
mopedman
CB900F
CB900F

Post by mopedman »

i pay the $7.00 and get the good s*** for my bike. it ant like the extra 5 bucks is going to brake the bank
Michigan Moped Mafia founding member
2005 Yamaha Zuma
1985 Honda Spree
1978 Honda Express
Cubey
Spree
Spree

Post by Cubey »

mopedman wrote:i pay the $7.00 and get the good s*** for my bike. it ant like the extra 5 bucks is going to brake the bank
Oil is one thing (GN2 vs cheaper oil), but normal plugs aren't lacking in quality assuming you buy a name brand. It adds up quick if you buy a lot of extra overpriced stuff.
1984 Honda Spree - Bought May 30, 2008 with 810.8 miles on it. (Sold with ~1600mi)
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Cubey wrote:Oil is one thing (GN2 vs cheaper oil), but normal plugs aren't lacking in quality assuming you buy a name brand. It adds up quick if you buy a lot of extra overpriced stuff.
Nobody has proven yet (to my knowledge) that normal plugs aren't lacking in quality. We need to do a scientific study.
Cubey
Spree
Spree

Post by Cubey »

CharlotteSpreeRider wrote:Nobody has proven yet (to my knowledge) that normal plugs aren't lacking in quality. We need to do a scientific study.
Exactly.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Only way for a plug to perform better is a hotter plug, which will require more fuel to keep it form leaning out. Or at least thats what i have found to be true playing with various old motors.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Scooterspal
Goped
Goped

Post by Scooterspal »

A couple of points on the Iridium plugs.

1) You will not be replacing them often. They do not wear out like normal plugs so in the long run paying $7.00 for one vs $2.00 every few months makes sense $ wise.

2) They do not work by burning hotter, they work by firing exactly the same every time and will less voltage. Their point is very narrow so the spark fires in the same place every time. This results in a more even burn.

The fact that they can fire with less voltage means quicker starts (less battery drain).

I installed mine this weekend.
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Ah, but they're designed for feul-injected 4 stroke motors, not carbed 2-stokes.

1. That would make sense, except that these bikes don't wear out plugs normally, they foul them all to * first.

2. The ignition is not supplied by the battery on these bikes, ever. The battery ONLY spins the starter motor and powers the turn signal and brake/tail light. The magneto/coil produces the power to spark the plug.

I still say that a scientific comparison is required to determine whether they are actually worth it or not. Using the manufacturer's propaganda doesn't work for me.

-aseigler
Scooterspal
Goped
Goped

Post by Scooterspal »

What can I tell you. My scooter starts faster and runs smoother and with better pickup.

I don't own stock in NGK. Do what you want.
mopedman
CB900F
CB900F

Post by mopedman »

i am still sticking with the good plugs
Michigan Moped Mafia founding member
2005 Yamaha Zuma
1985 Honda Spree
1978 Honda Express