First upgrade

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

fastgtp99 wrote:okay! this is what i dont get at all. I have a 94 elite and i just put a hsp, 72cc bore kit, 9:1 gears, clutch spring, all stock mods replaces, and took most of the stuff out of the stock pipe. plus have 9g and 10g weights up front, still running the stock carb and drilled the jet out usong a 1.01mm bit. stock size was 68 and gps was 48mph. you guys are saying with just a couple simply mods they will do 50 to 60. i dont get it. If i am doing something wrong and somebody is willing to meet up and show me that would beong freakin great. dont get me wrong it is way more impressive than when i got it but i need more. Any advise would help this forum help me (a rookie) build my bike. Thanks for all your help!!!!!
First off, what brand cylinder are you running?

Your bike is set up all wrong! gears should be 8,44:1 for a 72. Not 9:1. Do you have a highspeed pulley? Seems to me you should have lighter weights too. What type of filter are you running?

where did you get your parts from?
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
Elite1998
Spree
Spree

Post by Elite1998 »

Got my parts today!! And a day early!!

kelly hs pully ($50)
and 9.1 gears($45)

got a $12 ramp plate for free :)

Never got to try it out..well the hs pulley atleast because I need to go somewhere to do the gears and I haven't gotten that far yet..I took it down the road and hit 35..like usual but backed off to turn around because it started pouring rain..seems the same though..will update later whenever the rain stops..glad to have new rollers because mine have been bad for awhile..seems to have gotten rid of the vibration but like I said I haven't really tested anything so I'll keep this updated
Honda Elite SA50-S

Stock motor, 9:1 gears, Kelli High speed pulley=a top speed of ?? Maxed the speedo out if that counts..average 45 mph
average 85 mpg
Elite1998
Spree
Spree

Post by Elite1998 »

so it was only sprinkling out so I quick tried it..hits about 40 mph now..What I like though is it doesn't sound like its winding out like it used to..Probably could hit between 40-45 with no wind or having the wind to my back
Honda Elite SA50-S

Stock motor, 9:1 gears, Kelli High speed pulley=a top speed of ?? Maxed the speedo out if that counts..average 45 mph
average 85 mpg
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

i was talking to keoni for a while and he made some strong points about using 9:1 gears VS 8.44:1. Even though my bike works so well with them, i totally understand what he was saying.

I think you should have some great results. Let us all know how it goes.
1991--------Tomos Targa-
Elite1998
Spree
Spree

Post by Elite1998 »

Against the wind

with the wind at my side

IActually had it to 45mph when I had the wind at my back but I never had the camera then. Sure the speedo isn't the most accurate but thats all I have. Measured some marks to give me a better idea on my speeds according to the stock speedo so I have a closer Idea then just guessing

Can't wait to get the gearwork done..I seen what Keoni said on a different forums site and it does make perfect sense as it'll be easier for the stock engine to push compared to the taller gear which should mean a slightly higher top end..I should have these results within a few days..going to be busy but hopefully I can get it in tomorrow
Honda Elite SA50-S

average 85 mpg
Elite1998
Spree
Spree

Post by Elite1998 »

Put in the new gears, 9:1, at first it was really slow and I actually regretted putting the new gears in but it seems to get better the more I drive it.

With the hs pulley with 9g(I believe) weights and these gears I hit 50-52 mph(according to my speedo mind you) Acceleration is a bit sluggish under 5mph or so and alright through up until 28-30 and then it picks up for a few mph up to about 40-45 before it'll slow down. The thing I like is 1/3 or so throttle can keep me at 35 mph which I find pretty cool. That was threw town so no wind.

I haven't done a full throttle or even half throttle take off as I'm letting the gears "break in" as I hear they actually should be gone easy on for the first 50ish miles but eh, as long as it isn't a hard take off we are fine imo.

As for a reference on my speed(until I get pictures) the speedo needle has gotten to the bottom of the fuel gauge which I have measured out to be around 50 mph

Not bad imo
Honda Elite SA50-S

average 85 mpg
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

wrong gears. get 7:1
Elite1998
Spree
Spree

Post by Elite1998 »

MySpree wrote:wrong gears. get 7:1
No..I really doubt the stock motor can pull that off very efficiently..and no offense to dac but I think mine may be a tad bit faster with these gears compared to 8.44:1 as it works better with the stock motor..obviously he would more than likely dominate with a bore kit with those gears but we are talking stock engine here
Honda Elite SA50-S

average 85 mpg
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

MySpree wrote:wrong gears. get 7:1
Lol, you really are going crazy arent you?

7:1 gears are trash on a stock motor. Yeah the motor could pull it off. But getting there would take some time, take off would be a b****, and overall performance would drop to d*** near nothing.

im running 8.44:1 right now, thats as low as i would put a stock cylinder on. I get good speeds, but 9:1 does work better. Im just running mine 8.44:1 gears because its what i have.

See, its not about what the motor can push, its what the motor can make use of. 9:1 is good. It has great take off, much better top speed. and its not killing the motor on take off.
1991--------Tomos Targa-