Detailed explaination of the air box, please.

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Scooterspal
Goped
Goped

Detailed explaination of the air box, please.

Post by Scooterspal »

Can someone explain to me why air box and filter are so critical to the operation of the Spree?

Why is it important the box be tightly closed so air only comes in the port
at the back?

Why does the foam filter have to be soaked in motor oil to work.

Why, if the hose comes off the air box, will the engine self destruct, if that is what will happen?

Excuse me if this is already covered here. I just cannot seem to find it.

Thanks! :D
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by CharlotteSpreeRider »

It's covered over and over again. The airbox, oiled filter, and tightly fitting airbox lid are designed to greatly restrict air flow through the carb and motor. If you derestrict it, you are allowing air to flow much easier. That may sound like a good thing, but it actually causes the gas/air mixture to be too lean (too much air, not enough gas) for the design of the motor. Running these motors lean is a very good and fast way to seizing (permanently or semi-permanently destroying) the motor.

-aseigler
Scooterspal
Goped
Goped

Post by Scooterspal »

OK... I see. Mine came with the filter bone dry. I have since soaked it in 30 weight oil and replaced it.

Does the oil do anything other than attract dirt? Does it affect the operation in some other way.... the oil fumes I mean?
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

It attracts dirt and even further restricts airflow -- that's all.

-aseigler
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Its just for dirt grabbing. Because the engine was sort of built around its airbox they dont do well with a different filter no matter what you do.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Cubey
Spree
Spree

Post by Cubey »

Scooterspal wrote:OK... I see. Mine came with the filter bone dry. I have since soaked it in 30 weight oil and replaced it.

Does the oil do anything other than attract dirt? Does it affect the operation in some other way.... the oil fumes I mean?
Hmm... my filter was dry when I popped off the airbox lid. The seller said he put a new airbox (and filter i guess, it looked new) so I guess he didn't know to soak it. Will have to do that soon I guess.
1985 Honda Gyro S (project bike, work in progress!)
1984 Honda Spree - Bought May 30, 2008 with 810.8 miles on it. (Sold with ~1600mi)
Others owned/rode/sold: '86 Helix trike, '07 Vino 125, '88 Elite 250
Dac wrote:Friends+your moped=BAD IDEA.
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

It's just a sponge. You pour some oil on it (the manual actually says to use 80/90 gear oil), then you squeeze the oil all around so it's not all in one spot, then you squeeze out the excess that would otherwise just drip out, then you put the filter in and seal the box. That's all there is to it.

-aseigler