warming up engine?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

SPREEtown
Spree
Spree

warming up engine?

Post by SPREEtown »

should you not go WOT after starting cold? if so how long should you ride before opening it up?
1986 Spree SE:
  • pulley mod
    '85 head
    SB50 intake, reeds, carb
    UNI filter
    44mm bbk
    3x10 conti zipps
    next:
    taz gears, sa50 clutch w/ 2k springs
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

You can open up right away, not gonna hurt anything.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:You can open up right away, not gonna hurt anything.
i have heard about "cold seizes" Where the piston warms up to fast and seizes after only a minute of ridding. I think it might have happen to my 92 when it was 63cc. But it was the middle of winter and i was running WOT from the second it fired.

But as for normal condition's, i say let it warm up a little. But its really no big deal.
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Dac wrote:
Kenny_McCormic wrote:You can open up right away, not gonna hurt anything.
i have heard about "cold seizes" Where the piston warms up to fast and seizes after only a minute of ridding. I think it might have happen to my 92 when it was 63cc. But it was the middle of winter and i was running WOT from the second it fired.

But as for normal condition's, i say let it warm up a little. But its really no big deal.
Yea that popped into my head. I guess ti would be a good idea to rev it a few times on the stand first.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Cubey
Spree
Spree

Post by Cubey »

When I got my 40cc scooter new, the guy at the shop said I should let it idle a few minutes when I start it up cold before riding it and give it some gas at time or two when on the kick stand to help warm it up as well.

I've been going on the Spree when it's cold as well, letting it idle a minute or two as I'm putting on my helmet, making sure I have my cell phone and wallet on me, etc.

Certainly can't hurt to do it.
1985 Honda Gyro S (project bike, work in progress!)
1984 Honda Spree - Bought May 30, 2008 with 810.8 miles on it. (Sold with ~1600mi)
Others owned/rode/sold: '86 Helix trike, '07 Vino 125, '88 Elite 250
Dac wrote:Friends+your moped=BAD IDEA.
Scooterspal
Goped
Goped

Post by Scooterspal »

I've been trying a new starting method for the past week or so.

I turn off the engine switch, twist the throttle about 1/8 of a turn and hold it while I hit the start button for about a 3 seconds.

Then wait about 5 seconds.

Then turn on the engine switch and just hit the start button.

Starts up immediately every time this way.

BTW: On both my Spree and my TBG Key West (now in the shop for a warranty engine rebuild :cry: ) the engine will speed up a bit to a smooth purr when it's warm and ready to go.

This is when I know I can take off. I always let it warm up to this point. It's only a few minutes and it's time I spend checking the tires, the signal and break lights... and putting on my helmet, of course.