Spree hill climbing ability

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

turbod16v
Noob
Noob

Spree hill climbing ability

Post by turbod16v »

hey guys
i'm new and purchased a spree in june. been tinkering around with it all summer for something to do. rebulit it,cleaned carb ect.
was going to sell it when it's done but now i'm considering keeping it.
my only concern is that I live in a very hilly area and i'm worried it won't get me up hills at the posted speed limits.
I have not rode it yet,waiting on a new belt and driveface wich i will have on friday plus i'm waiting for my dad to get it registered for me in MI as I live in pa and have no title.

I weigh about 213#'s and the only mod to the spree i did in my work was the intake port mod as i relize for all the hills with stop sign s at the bottom i want more midrange and bottom than top end.

so my question. how have your sprees pulled on hills?

if it's a strugle to get uphill i'm probly just gonna load it up and take it to my dads to sell.
mopedman
CB900F
CB900F

Post by mopedman »

they don't do so well on the hills, sprees lack the power need to climb good size hills
Michigan Moped Mafia founding member
2005 Yamaha Zuma
1985 Honda Spree
1978 Honda Express
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Sprees are pretty much stuck in 2nd gear they dont pull worth a s*** till ya hit around 15mph, then the engine starts screaming and you take off like a shot.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
dr.ona
Spree
Spree

Post by dr.ona »

You'll end up selling it.
Spree's aren't good on hills at all. My friend who weighs probably 210 lbs has problems on hills.
"I can't drive......35!"
turbod16v
Noob
Noob

Post by turbod16v »

GREAT!
thanks for the replies. I'm not gonna get my hopes up then.
soon as I get a MI plate i'll give it a test run to work early sunday morning when no cars are on the road and see how it does.
the consensus is it will suck. :P
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

You can put a thin washer between the dive pully halves to lower the gearing, this will take top speed to more like 25 and will greatly increase hill climbing.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
turbod16v
Noob
Noob

Post by turbod16v »

realy?
and do i have to change the belt or just let it ride lower?
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Nope it just rides lower, check the width while your in there and replace if necessary.
turbod16v
Noob
Noob

Post by turbod16v »

a new belt is what i'm waiting on right now for the maiden voyage.
the old one was gone P/O took it off to get a new one but never did.
cmfguitar
Noob
Noob

Post by cmfguitar »

I might try that with mine. I have an Iowa model and it won't go over 25 anyway, and I don't really need it to go faster than that but I do need to some more low end for hills and taking off from a stop. How big does the washer need to be?
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Thin as you can find, there was a discussion about it a while ago, Noiseguy knows what im talking about.
Spree23
Noob
Noob

Help removing the clutch cover bolt

Post by Spree23 »

I'm interested in doing the pulley mod and opened up the crankcase cover just fine but I can't keep the clutch cover from turning while I loosen the retaining bolt. In the manual, I see a Universal Holder tool which I don't have. Any suggestions?
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

The pulley mod mods the front pulley not the rear tensioner/pulley/clutch.
CaptDan
Elite
Elite

Post by CaptDan »

dr.ona wrote:You'll end up selling it.
Spree's aren't good on hills at all. My friend who weighs probably 210 lbs has problems on hills.
I gained a few pounds recently - hovering @ <>200lbs. I live on a big * hill. Unless I hit the hill going at LEAST 15mph, the bike bogs down to around <8mph. After waving cars past me, I do the 'scoot thang,' pushing with my left leg on the pavement.

When I hit about 15mph, the power curve kicks in and I can shoot up the hill at a whopping 18.5mph. It's a drag for sure - and one reason I still eye the Crag'sLust ads for Elite 80s. :shock:

But - since the economy's hit the tank, and should be in full-on depression mode by next summer, I'm hanging onto "Pasquale.' He may be a tad wimpy on hills, but he gets me around splendidly on the local flatlands.

Oh, and the li'll sucker's paid for. :lol:

CaptDan
DoubleAey
Goped
Goped

Post by DoubleAey »

my spree makes it up even the toughest hills around where i live. im about 115lbs, but occasionally i will bring a friend along adding the total weight to around 225. i can make it up hills at around 25 miles per hour. of course, you dont want to just stop, and hit the hill straight on. i get the spree goin first before i climb the hill. :lol: the mods ive got done are the drilled muffler, bigger jet, and cone intake. you might be ok with your hills once you do the pulley mod tho! :wink: