Painting Plastics - Advice needed

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Painting Plastics - Advice needed

Post by burnt_toast »

I have been considering painting my black and purple Yamaha Jog for sometime and today, I think doing so would make for a fun rainy day project :)

For right now I would just like to paint the purple inners and sideskirts seen here to flatblack.

What kind of prep work should be done on plastic, and what is the best flat black plastic paint to use? Will primer be a good idea?

Paint pro's let me know :P

projects galore :nerd:
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Hmm, I would shop that first, flat on gloss doesnt sound good to me.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:Hmm, I would shop that first, flat on gloss doesnt sound good to me.
Done and done, Dac and nparks helped me out to give me an idea and I like the way it would look. Plus I'm big fan of black on black, gloss or flat so I would like it eitherway :)

Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

I hear nice things about krylon fusion.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
junkyspree
BMX
BMX

Post by junkyspree »

I tried Kylon Fusion for myself. It's very thin, so don't sand abrasively! It calls for no prepwork, but I can't tell myself not to do so. So far my paint has held up fairly nicely to flex but it's not invinceable to scratches. If you use Krylon Fusion, wipe it down thoroughly with Mineral Spirits or Acetone and make sure there are no loose surfaces or debree-Sand with some fine grit very lightly.
da-scoot
BMX
BMX

paint

Post by da-scoot »

The only bad thing about spray paintin the kickboards is how much wear and tear they actually go through....

u could prep that perfectly and have the paint hold...for a while.. but without some kinda of clear coat.. it will eventually flake...
and clear coatin over flat paint...well.. makes its shiny...lol

BUT if you insist on flat...and u wanna use Krylon..
just scuff the surface with the dark red scuff pads... scuff untill it looks dull... EVERYWHERE... if its shiny make it dull... and then go over the panels with wax and grease remover... use paper towels and use new towels often... then.. set up a place to paint...

u wanna spray on real light coat for the first coat... and you wanna make sure u pay attention to all edges and round spots first...

let tack up..say about 10-15 mins.. then spray another light coat on the flatter parts ... this should give u a even light coat over the whole panel...

another 10 mins... u can lay a little thicker coat... again hit the edges and round offs.... then the flat areas...

this is important if u want to prevent runs...

then let it all set up for a couple of hours before handleing and at least 8-12 hrs before installin...

1987 Aero SB50P
All Show..No Go!
Champion White
Custom 5 1/4" Speaker Encloser
Eclipse Speakers
Sony Mp3 Player
Mitzu 650watt am
Ziraya
Spree
Spree

Post by Ziraya »

If you want to paint the kickboard and want it to be black I advise you use (Duplicolor) Spray-on or Roll-on Bed Liner, the stuff is designed to take more than what you're giving it. The texture might be a bit more than you're expecting now but the results will be great. Either way, that purple is so fuggly
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Thanks for the advice.

da scoot when you say dark red scuff pads, which are you talking about?
dukemartini
Spree
Spree

Post by dukemartini »

http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB2/viewto ... sc&start=0

crxdrew used bumper paint on the footboard and around the gauges on the handle bars. i would imagine it would hold up well check out the pictures in the link. it seems mildly glossy but not too bad.
87 Honda Elite S-BASKET CASE PROJECT
88 Honda SB50P-sold but not forgotten
edwardzx7
Spree
Spree

Post by edwardzx7 »

use the truck bed liner spray paint,painted my spree with this,black in color(bed liner spray),then paint floor board or what ever your painting the color.tough as anything. i use 150 grit to sand,thenHIGH BUILD PRIMER spray paint. 1 coat primer,2 coats of paint,1 clear or more if needed.(wet sand the high build primer(no need for the 400-600 grit sanding)this just the way i paint.never failed for me.
Image-$show your right$
da-scoot
BMX
BMX

scuff

Post by da-scoot »

burnt_toast wrote:Thanks for the advice.

da scoot when you say dark red scuff pads, which are you talking about?
generally when u go to the paintin section... there are 2 types fo scuffin pads... a dark red and a green... the dark red is more course than the green and will give u enough scuff for paint to hold..
Its much safer to use than sand paper... due to some people applyin to much pressure and gougein the plastic... high build primer does fill in alot but u dont wanna have to apply to much...

1987 Aero SB50P
All Show..No Go!
Champion White
Custom 5 1/4" Speaker Encloser
Eclipse Speakers
Sony Mp3 Player
Mitzu 650watt am
cf_z
Spree
Spree

Post by cf_z »

for my floorboards i found some 'plastic primer'. i think the brand was valspar, but its whatever Lowes carries. Its just a clear primer for plastic that allowes you to use any spray enamel over it. I used the clear primer, then i used some 'high performance' semi gloss black rustoleum and it has worked great on all the inside plastics.
94 Elite SR.
PoliniCorsa+PGlong+28oko+8.44.1+KeliVariator+HiEnergyCoil+Pirrelis
=fast
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

I would use either Krylon Fusion or bumper paint on plastics. It will contain a flex agent so that when the parts bend, the paint will bend too.

Proper surface prep is *the* most important thing. Scuffing the plastic is not necessary (and if you don't use build primer, will give you an inferior surface.) I always use a commercial grade plastic paint prep on plastics to remove grease and wax from panels before painting. I also typically use a build primer on show surfaces (side panels, leg shield) and wet sand to 600 grit before final paint.

Using the plastic prep, build primer, and Krylon Fusion paint is how my personal scoot was done. I've had no problems with paint flaking on the body parts, even given all the disassembly that I've done. Even the floorboards have held up with no wear-through (I painted red over white plastic, so wear will be obvious when it happens.)

Only issue I had with Fusion paint is that it's very thin; plan on 2 cans and about 4 coats on the sides (floorboards got 7 coats!). With most paints on metal, 2 coats is more than enough.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Thank you for the advice everyone!

I will hold off on painting for now, until I am done tuning, but this thread will be more than enough for a reference when I am ready.

Thanks again