extra lighting?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

The headlight doesnt run on the battery its a direct link to the stator. Running the light at idle is not a concern, running the light while having power to charge the battery that was drained at start up is the issue.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
94cruiser
BMX
BMX

Post by 94cruiser »

are the bicycle dynamo lights any good?
2000 Elite SA50
stock
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Those are 6 volt IIRC, NO.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Bicycle dynamo lights are pretty low wattage - 2.4-3w. Historically, they have been dim for any amount of money. But with optics and LED technology improvements, they are getting better. Still, at the cost of the best - $100-$200 its not much light. Kenny's right, they are 6v bulbs.

Anyhow, if you are interested, here is a link which shows the beam patterns and relative brightness of some typical, to the best available dynamo lamps. http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/headlights.asp

MotorMaker brought up a good questions about LED flashlights. There are some models under $25 nearing the output of a 20w halogen bulb. I have two on order to experiment with.
slaughter83
BMX
BMX

Post by slaughter83 »

this is way off subject but, who cares about being able to see(sarcasm). what we need is underglow. and after that, some hydralics

p.s i got a 12v-12ah mod on my spree, i got tired of the crappy liquid acid batteries that were expensive. I bet that would help a lot for extra lights. as long as u could turn the lights off so the battery can recharge
85' NQ-50 under consruction
SpyderMike
Elite
Elite

Post by SpyderMike »

slaughter83 wrote:this is way off subject but, who cares about being able to see(sarcasm). what we need is underglow.
lol im putting some underglow on my beast this winter
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

i had underglow for like 4 years on mine. I took them off during my motor swap, but after i get it tuned nicely i'll put them back on

use computer case cold cathodes, much brighter than neons, and they are much smaller too. works awesome, couple of zip ties, wire them up to a switch, and your good to go
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

What about HID's? I beleive they only use 35w