good mopeds?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

slaughter83
BMX
BMX

good mopeds?

Post by slaughter83 »

My friend wanted to get a moped in the chicago area. I don't know a lot about mopeds. What are good brand names and models? n' what could $250 buy? N' where should i look for them?

thanks guys,
nick
85' NQ-50 under consruction
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

2 stroke Yamahas and Hondas are the best. $250 might buy a banged up, possibly stolen(run the VIN) roadworthy or nearly roadworthy(might need ot do some light work) bike with missing plastics.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Post by veedubh20 »

dont buy scooter/moped that made in china! :roll:
po89mm
Spree
Spree

Post by po89mm »

if he bumps it up to $300 and looks around craigslist...

he stands a chance of finding a running honda spree or a non runner that needs very minimal work done to it.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

clarify on what he wants, a moped may very well indeed be found for $200 used off CL, moped = pedal style, looks like bicycle with a motor.

but a scooter (= step through frame) will be much harder to find for that price.
projects galore :nerd:
slaughter83
BMX
BMX

Post by slaughter83 »

he wants a moped, not a scooter. He wouldn't mind having to do some minimal work to get it running. And wonderin what are good models from the 80's n' such. not newer stuff just the 2 strokers

thanks
nick
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Most mopeds are rather slow, NOT good for chicago traffic.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
vnice
Goped
Goped

Post by vnice »

I got my Yamaha Jog for $300, and it's a '98 in good shape. Now that I got the carb cleaned and everything figured out, I just need to replace the back tire tube and I'm good to go.

That said, a buy like mine is rare. However, I almost bought an '85 Honda Pal in very good shape for $200...so the deals are out there. Hunt hunt hunt, and be patient.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:Most mopeds are rather slow, NOT good for chicago traffic.
i bet petty cash and murder club would disagree. (all Chicago Moped Gangs)

i also disagree, a moped is faster then a bike, very cheap to get legal, and you can take it in the bike lanes. Mopeds are perfect for around chicago.
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Forgot about the bike lane, only been there once.
Johnny5
Spree
Spree

Post by Johnny5 »

Look around the Chi-town area as well. The prices can get a lil' inflated when looking locally. Look as far as Wis & IN.
Eft37
Elite
Elite

Post by Eft37 »

I have 2 nopeds on Chicago Craigslist that I am selling way too high. A Honda and a Yamaha both not running, no titled, needing some work.
Out of community spirit, solidarity, and my wife getting off my back, have him e-mail me and we can work out a deal. I'm in the 1st Northern suburb of Chicago.
Make sure he mentions Hondaspree.net in the e-mail so I know who it is.
Chisholm
Goped
Goped

Post by Chisholm »

I think the Tomos Targa LX is a sharp moped. There are some interesting old , weird mopeds too.
I didn't realize that mopeds could do all the bike stuff.
Sometimes I get mad that the Spree typically has to follow motorcycle rules when it is exceptionally small.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

Chisholm wrote:I think the Tomos Targa LX is a sharp moped. There are some interesting old , weird mopeds too.
I didn't realize that mopeds could do all the bike stuff.
Sometimes I get mad that the Spree typically has to follow motorcycle rules when it is exceptionally small.
while, :lol: , people do it.

i see people riding in the bike lanes all the time, when they see a cop they kill the motor and just pedal. Once the cop passes they start the motor back up.

Most of the roads are very slow speeds anyway, even being in normal traffic 25-30 mph is fine.
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
slaughter83
BMX
BMX

Post by slaughter83 »

I was also wonderin what u guys think of a kreidler MP-9. guy said it needed a new gas shutoff thing. which i believe would be the petcock. which prolly isn't too expensive. but wonderin how hard mods would be to find