wheels - to paint or not to paint

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

paulbrown137
BMX
BMX

wheels - to paint or not to paint

Post by paulbrown137 »

I got my order from american motorcycle tire - two kenda K329 tires and two heavy duty michelin tubes. Glad i did too because it looks like prices went up.

I've got all the info together on removing the wheels and changing the tires. But while I have them off, this would be the time to paint the rims.

I really like the looks of the black center rim with a chrome outer ring. I would love to here whether you think I should do this and why or why not.

There is a little bit of rust in a couple spots on the rim. Any suggestions on priming or cleaning the rims? Should I pay to have them blasted and primed?

Also, what brand and color of spray are you using for this look? Gloss black / chrome, flat black / gunmetal ????

Input is helpful and I'll post pictures when done.

thanks,
1987 Honda Spree
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

Depends on the quality you want and if you plan on keeping it for a while. For professional results take it to a pro. If you want it to look okay and are a DIY kinda guy then I would just get one of those 3M pads that hook up to the drill and take the rust off like that then get some good automotive primer and paint that they sell in cans as well as some clear and get to work! It shouldn't be too hard. I know duplicolor website has some how-to videos if you need a general idea on how its done :P
ALOW1
Elite
Elite

Re: wheels - to paint or not to paint

Post by ALOW1 »

paulbrown137 wrote:
I really like the looks of the black center rim with a chrome outer ring.

thanks,
If you want a chrome outer ring then you will have to have the whole wheel chromed. I suggest having the wheels sand blasted before taking them to the chrome shop, the less prep work the chrome shop has to do the faster the turn around and the cheaper it will cost at the chrome shop.
edwardzx7
Spree
Spree

Post by edwardzx7 »

do a different color wheel!not just black,everybody likes black and red.(just me but that gets old after a while).(black)its easy to keep clean,looks decent when done right,but if you plan on keeping it put something different then what others have.i just like to see creative paint jobs.ImageImage.
Image-$show your right$