Spree hill climbing ability

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

CaptDan
Elite
Elite

Re: Help removing the clutch cover bolt

Post by CaptDan »

Spree23 wrote:I'm interested in doing the pulley mod and opened up the crankcase cover just fine but I can't keep the clutch cover from turning while I loosen the retaining bolt. In the manual, I see a Universal Holder tool which I don't have. Any suggestions?
I used a gear puller to hold the pulley while tightening/untightening. Once it's clamped on, it bears against the frame, holding the pulley stationary while you reef on the pulley nut.

You can pick these up for around $20 at a discount auto parts store. You want the 'finger-gripper' type with four tangs that are tightened with a center square nut turned with a ratchet wrench.

Additionally, you'll need a long-* ratchet (providing leverage) for the nut- preferably a torque wrench.

Works like a charm.

CaptDan
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
Chisholm
Goped
Goped

Post by Chisholm »

I hope you didn't break the nut loose with your torque wrench!
I always keep a good cheater bar in my toolbox. A piece of jack handle works well.
TURN1
Spree
Spree

Re: Spree hill climbing ability

Post by TURN1 »

"I think I can, I think I can"
Last edited by TURN1 on Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pass on the ALOHA Spirit!!!
CaptDan
Elite
Elite

Post by CaptDan »

Chisholm wrote:I hope you didn't break the nut loose with your torque wrench!
Didn't have to. While pulling up to my driveway last month: CCCCKLLIISZIBANGACLANGCLANNG!

Previous owner apparently forgot to torque down the nut when he changed out the drive belt. :shock:

CaptDan
po89mm
Spree
Spree

Post by po89mm »

if any of you are familier with downtown grand rapids michigan, ive climbed up Michigan Street and cresent a few times.

For those who dont know, those are massive hills that id wager is in the 40+ degree angle area. My scoot goes at a snails pace but does climb them.

Honestly i wouldn't worry too much about the speed thing. A scooter is more or less a powered bicycle. Folks EXPECT them to be slow.