spree a go go

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

spree a go go

Post by burnt_toast »

Decided to un earth my spree baby last week and after some serious TLC it runs like a champ! :)

You'd have to have seen previous condition to really appreciate that alone, basically everything from carb down was filled with WATER, muck and dirt. It was like she was either in a flood or dropped in a lake.. I tore down engine and cleaned up best I could

Took 3 days total "restoration" time, $5 key from Honda, $5 carb cleaner, fuel/vac lines and wheelman petcock (thx man!) now she boogie on up to 27mph with basically open carb some filter material over it 8) all in all not bad considering this bike had little chance of seeing life in previous owners hands

took a few snaps, note the carb before n after :shock: :)

and for fun, a partial pic of my scoot coral :D

Last edited by burnt_toast on Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
projects galore :nerd:
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

:x * man !

thats like a Dac trademark air filter right there!

:lol: im just messing around, lol. But for real, thats a sick carb right there. how the * did you clean it up that much????
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Dac wrote::x * man !

thats like a Dac trademark air filter right there!

:lol: im just messing around, lol. But for real, thats a sick carb right there. how the * did you clean it up that much????
yup, funny how I start many initial filter setups Dac style, remember elite was same way lol

I'm actually waitin on a airbox from a member which will complete it for me :)

Hah that carb was tricky, basically lots of carb cleaner and an overnight soak in a mix of carb cleaner gas oil and rust remover. then more carbo jam spray, air spray and hit up the bowl with dremel wire brush

I was tempted to throw an old elite carb on there but decided to take the challenge and see if I could fix up what was on hand :P
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

Nice job w/ the carb, how did you clean it up so nice? I just hope the family dishwasher wasn't involved ;)
1986 Spree w/ '87 SE50 motor
1985 Aero 50 w/ Dio motor: On Hold
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

With varnished up carbs like that, I clean the jets, say a little prayer to the FSM, put it together and run it immediately. Gasoline dissolves varnish, stabil keeps it from coming back.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
SprEE*MP*
Spree
Spree

Post by SprEE*MP* »

Your muffler and fan look different than mine.....mines an '84.......location differences or just year?
-1984 Spree,
chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Post by chevyguyjay »

:shock: holy cow batman.......im shocked u got it clean lol. also i noticed, your head on the spree.......why is it on backwards? :?
~2004 Geely Fashion~
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Right on... one more Spree back on the road!

I've always said that if you know what you're doing, you can get most running with little more than a good cleaning and some carb cleaner.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

chevyguyjay wrote: :shock: holy cow batman.......im shocked u got it clean lol. also i noticed, your head on the spree.......why is it on backwards? :?
lol..

It's funny every minarelli and dio style motor I've worked on has the extended fins facing away from the fan side for better heat dissipation so I assumed spree was same way when reinstalling WOops :lol:

p.s. spree just quit and not running for unknown reason :? compression at 120psi, has spark so I'm going to play with carb which has a strane leak:
http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8412
berssf06
BMX
BMX

Post by berssf06 »

I noticed your filter assembly. I have an 86 spree, could I do something similar to that without any damage to anything. And if so, what type of foam to use? thanks
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

berssf06 wrote:I noticed your filter assembly. I have an 86 spree, could I do something similar to that without any damage to anything. And if so, what type of foam to use? thanks
UNIfilter foam material

YES that will do damage over time, it was a temp solution till I got proper airbox shipped in

on a spree stock airbox is best bet
berssf06
BMX
BMX

Post by berssf06 »

Ok thats what I figured. Where might one get unifilter? A guy at scootertherapy said it was basically just precut foam. thanks