New Ride to be!

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

tucker
BMX
BMX

New Ride to be!

Post by tucker »

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/3411/22small.jpg

Very proud owner of 1984 Gyro. Getting ready to reassemble. Have read many of the tech articles on the board downloaded a 1985 Spree manual since I figured the motor parts were probably similiar. Got enough of the details I needed in order be comfortable in the rebuild.Carb is cleaned, tires are mounted, gonna look at the clutch this weekend. Most of the plastic is in great shape. Opened up the spare gear box on frame #2 and looked at its internals. Very neat two clutch and planetary gear arrangement. Any guidance is welcome.
Wheelman-111

Gyro Congrats

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Congrats on the new Trike!. There was a long Gyro mod thread here over the Holidays - probably worth a look. Gyro is a very different animal from what I understand, but mods are possible with help and a little ingenuity. Or you can enjoy it as Honda-san ordained. Good luck!
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
tucker
BMX
BMX

No need for Speed

Post by tucker »

Thanks for the tip on the previous post, will look it up. However, I don't feel the need for speed on this thing. I rode one prior to purchasing this one and it felt like my * was perched on a ball of mercury riding down the rode. Very weird sensation. I thought with the two rear tires it would feel much more stable than my first impression. We will see if that changes with time. Been trying to find some relevant post and suprised at how many I have found. Will try to put up pics of the rebuild.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Hi - Just checked out your pic, nice '84. Great that you have fairly complete plastics and extra parts.
BeeMain
BMX
BMX

Post by BeeMain »

:)
Last edited by BeeMain on Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

*!!! i think if you ride a scooter, thats kinda the pot calling the kettle black! i do love my scoots, but most people think they are quite *! i notice that (usually) scooter folk are much more tolerant of oddities than other factions of society...
you must not have seen threeter.com then!!!
funny * scoots from japan, all converted into "threeters" id ride one!
Wheelman-111

Three-Fers

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Kinda wish I had a trike. I wouldn't hear so much

"Dude! Swap in a DIO!!"

Let's see what those "Experts" make of a planetary two-speed tranny. Makes it hard to swap in Polini rollers, don't it?
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

nah no dio swap for that.

I gotta say I wasn't too impressed after working on and riding one of those Gyro's, much bumpier ride than you'd expect. Although the Honda quality is there which is always nice

Good luck with it
projects galore :nerd:
BeeMain
BMX
BMX

Post by BeeMain »

:)
Last edited by BeeMain on Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
CaptDan
Elite
Elite

Post by CaptDan »

scooterwerx wrote:*!!! i think if you ride a scooter, thats kinda the pot calling the kettle black! i do love my scoots, but most people think they are quite *! i notice that (usually) scooter folk are much more tolerant of oddities than other factions of society...
you must not have seen threeter.com then!!!
funny * scoots from japan, all converted into "threeters" id ride one!
Warning: Some of the following may not be suitable for children under 35!!:

Just where did this '*' thing come from anyway? Some Jack Daniels slurping farmer ASSume anybody who isn't astride a Horley is '*?'
I have nothing against Horleys, but everytime I see one of their pilots with those dumb hard-hat beanies, I'm thinking "Yep. There goes another leather boy.' :)

Scooter's small wheels? Yeah - that's it. Just like those tiny wheelies on Kraut Kritter's BMW sidecar. I'll bet good ol' Kraut can be waiting at a red light without being harASSed by a pair of 16 year old goonz in a beater Chebbie. :?

Oh - maybe it's the leg shield. Yeah. Right. Bonzo MarineBoy whippin' his KawaSucki 'round the bend can't live without his big-* fairing either, eh? :shock:

Anybody who ASSumes a scooterist is * (even if he/she is) suffers from rectal/cranial inversion syndrome. :D

Rant off.

CaptDan>
Wheelman-111

Not That There's Anything Wrong With That

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I had noticed a decrease in the use of perjorative terms like "*" and "Retarded" until lately. Moderators, can you Moderate?

Secure in my own sexuality,
Wheelman-111
CaptDan
Elite
Elite

Re: Not That There's Anything Wrong With That

Post by CaptDan »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

I had noticed a decrease in the use of perjorative terms like "*" and "Retarded" until lately. Moderators, can you Moderate?

Secure in my own sexuality,
Me too. I hope you saw through my sarcasm; I didn't want to throw oil on a fire, so to speak. 8)

CaptDan>
tucker
BMX
BMX

Post by tucker »

BeeMain wrote:* - sorry, someone had to speak up. Riding a scooter is one thing, riding that ... well you are taking it to a new level :wink:
How about we put this discussion to rest. I spent my money on this Gyro and quite frankly I don't give much of a rat's * what you think of it. But you are certainly entitled to your thesis on gender assignment. I do think you need a little more research before it is ready for prime time!
However, if anyone can be of some help and provide me the the ohm specification for the charge magneto, alternator magneto, pulse magneto, ignition coil(primary and secondary) then I would be most grateful and could make some more progress on the rebuild of this controversial scooter. Then you can say anything you want about my awesome set of wheels.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

BeeMain wrote:* - sorry, someone had to speak up. Riding a scooter is one thing, riding that ... well you are taking it to a new level :wink:
Looks like somebody is trying to distract from their own confusion :D
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

However, if anyone can be of some help and provide me the the ohm specification for the charge magneto, alternator magneto, pulse magneto, ignition coil(primary and secondary) then I would be most grateful and could make some more progress on the rebuild of this controversial scooter. Then you can say anything you want about my awesome set of wheels.
This is from the '85/86 Gyro. I think most magneto/ignition parts are very similar between models. Ign coils appear to be the same & I've used an '84 in an '86 w/o problems.

Ignition Coil - Primary 0.2 to 0.3 ohms, Primary to Spark plug cap 8.2 to 9.3k

Exciter coil: (ties to CDI) 100 to 400 ohms
Pulse coil: (triggers CDI spark) 10 to 100 ohms
Alternator Charge coil: 0.1 to 1.5 ohms
Headlight coil: 0.1 to 1.0 ohms

What problems are you tracking down? I've had blown stator coils (charge and exciter) on various scooters.